Early idea for 2013/2014 race

Discussion about the Geocaching Australia web site
nutwood

Re: Early idea for 2013/2014 race

Post by nutwood » 28 October 13 7:25 pm

I like the idea too but I suspect that we are losing sight of the true brilliance of the earlier games.
Bingo was a great idea but suffered from being a competitive game that was meant to be played in a non-competitive manner(?!).
We're talking about the Christmas period, school holidays. Dedicated cachers will have no problem in engaging in the zombie game but how will it be for the less dedicated; those who probably aren't reading this forum?
The earlier games were beautiful in their simplicity. Find it, move it. The harder you played, the more you benefited others.
My vote's for a simple moveable cache game. For a subject; how about owls?

oldfella
10000 or more caches found
10000 or more caches found

Post by oldfella » 28 October 13 7:29 pm

I still like the simple single item idea as it allows more people to participate. I still go for animals be they one particular animal or a group like farm animals or any animals. it is nearly November and the game is on December and January. Time is fast approaching where the more creative amongst us will be short on time for any type of out there manufacture. Someone please make a decision. I suppose that means C@W has to put his thinking cap on. I did not like Bingo as I could not participate due to where I live but that is my choice.

Renroc
600 or more caches found
600 or more caches found

Post by Renroc » 28 October 13 11:52 pm

rogerw3 wrote:Interesting idea, but in my area, while there are plenty of GCA caches they are mostly mine so I can't find them, the remainder with one or two exception I have already found. As for the Trigs not many in my strike range.
#-o :stabby ](*,)

How do I take part short of moving house? :D :)
I agree with the comment above. In my area there are usually only 2 or maybe 3 cachers who participate in the annual game. Also there are very few caches around here that I have not already found. SO even with the must place a cache proviso that would not give us many to find locally.

Richary
8000 or more caches found
8000 or more caches found

Post by Richary » 29 October 13 11:33 pm

Pesky! wrote:+1 for our area too.
these "games" only work best for those in areas with large populations, or those willing to drive long distances.

one way to level the feild would be to weight caches in remote and lower population( of participants) areas with higher values to score, and those in high cache density areas with smaller scores, so you could either hunt 1 or 2 high value caches, or thousands of rely low value ones.
the one draw back i can pick with this is , some will hunt all the high score ones without rest.
There will always be those ultra-competitive individuals in any game. Previous years I have just enjoyed finding and moving the things. The occasional trip interstate for work at the right time helped me move a few a fair distance though that seems to have stopped now. Bingo I lost interest quite quickly once it became obvious I couldn't complete it without deliberately travelling interstate.

But given it's almost November, I doubt we will have a game this year. That's OK with me as I will just use my time going and finding caches. As C@W's idea is to increase the number of GCA caches, and most get archived after the game, I don't know if this is the best way of doing it.

tronador
6500 or more caches found
6500 or more caches found

Post by tronador » 30 October 13 10:13 pm

nutwood wrote:I like the idea too but I suspect that we are losing sight of the true brilliance of the earlier games.
Bingo was a great idea but suffered from being a competitive game that was meant to be played in a non-competitive manner(?!).
We're talking about the Christmas period, school holidays. Dedicated cachers will have no problem in engaging in the zombie game but how will it be for the less dedicated; those who probably aren't reading this forum?
The earlier games were beautiful in their simplicity. Find it, move it. The harder you played, the more you benefited others.
I like owls!!!! Are we playing??????

JABs
4500 or more caches found
4500 or more caches found

Post by JABs » 31 October 13 5:48 am

tronador wrote:
nutwood wrote:I like the idea too but I suspect that we are losing sight of the true brilliance of the earlier games.
I like owls!!!! Are we playing??????
Lego, from a single micro brick to a large glued together model.

Keeper of Time
8500 or more caches found
8500 or more caches found

Post by Keeper of Time » 31 October 13 2:52 pm

Hmmmmm Owls ......... sounds like a hoot \:D/

gmj3191
7500 or more caches found
7500 or more caches found

Post by gmj3191 » 31 October 13 3:56 pm

The zombie thing might work, but I would not very much like to do anything to encourage this stupid zombie craze that seems to be
going on at the moment. It just seems like a commercial move by film makers who have run out of original ideas for new movies.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 31 October 13 9:27 pm

We've had the following suggestions, sorry if I missed some.

Birds - of which there is a huge variety,
Planes,
Helicopters at a push lol
Dinosaurs (some)
Angels
Hospitals
Boats
Tuxedos
1950's cars
Flying fish
Gnomes with wings bolted on
Leapfrogs sitting on planes
"action figures"
Space
Cacher's Vs. Zombies
World War "C"
Cacher's Vs. Zombies
Owls
Lego
Pirates vs. Ninjas
Dogs
Elephants
Plants v Zombies?
Duck Hunt

So I've decided (because I still have to write the game code) that it will be a standard moveable cache race with a theme. Just like Frogs and Gnomes this game will be ...

The Weeping Angels

http://www.cachinggames.com/weepingangels/
Your cache must be a genuine, bone fide angel.
Your angelmay be store bought or hand crafted.
Cache sizes other than micros are encouraged. The log can be in a micro container, but it is encouraged that the angel be regular size or larger.
Caches for the competition must be published on 1 December 2013 Australian Eastern Time (GCA Time)
Geocaching Australia has the facility to automatically publish your cache on 1 December 2013
Please refer to the Geocaching Australia wiki for more information
http://wiki.geocaching.com.au/wiki/Future_publishing
You are welcome to join the game after it has started provided you list the hidden date and published date as 1 December 2013 and add the words weepingangel to your cache tags
The later you enter your angel the less time there is to get it moving, so you are encouraged to enter the game at the commencement
You are required to add the word weepingangel to the tags on your entry at Geocaching Australia
You can add the word weepingangel to your tags by visiting your cache page and clicking on Tag in the Actions section in the right hand navigation section of your cache page
The game commences at 00:00:00 1 December 2013 AEDST and concludes 23:59:59 31 January 2014 AEDST
The game administrators decision is final
You can find and move your own cache during the game period provided it is not the caches first move
Caches must be found and hidden by the same cacher (i.e. no mailing the cache to another cacher to hide)
There is no limit to the number of times other cachers can find / move the cache provided there are at least two other finds / moves in between
If a cacher moves your cache overseas and it remains unfound overseas for 1 week or more, the same cacher may move your cache (within the country or to another country) without breaking the "2 moves" rule
There is no limit to the distance other cachers can move the cache
Other cachers in the game may find / move your cache, but they must move it on within 2 days
Prizes ... yeah, probably. This will not be a game of "everyone wins", but I'm expecting that there will be a pathtag available to purchase if you want a memento of the game.

So, go, find an angel, make it unique (I expect lots of the same angel design), attach the cache QR code, add a logbook and get ready for the attack of the Weeping Angels this summer.

Just remember ... don't blink.

Just a cacher

Post by Just a cacher » 01 November 13 7:07 am

How? How do I run, whilst staring fixedly at the angel and not blinking?

Edited: I just read the rules. What's a QR code and what is it for? How do I get one? Is it compulsory?

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 01 November 13 9:07 am

Just a cacher wrote:How? How do I run, whilst staring fixedly at the angel and not blinking?

Edited: I just read the rules. What's a QR code and what is it for? How do I get one? Is it compulsory?
Go to any of your cache pages that you own. You will see a square code to the right of the cache details. That's a QR code. Not mandatory but if you include it with your cache, a cacher with a smart phone can scan the code and their (Andriod) app will start GA cacher to take you to the log page. For a non-Android phone, it will take you to the website where you can instantly log your find. They can also use the same QR code to drop off the cache making life easier for people on the run.

Just a cacher

Post by Just a cacher » 01 November 13 9:09 am

Oh, thank you.

I see the code thingy.

Sorry to be so old and thick.