Early idea for 2013/2014 race

Discussion about the Geocaching Australia web site
caughtatwork

Re: Early idea for 2013/2014 race

Post by caughtatwork » 11 October 13 10:06 am

RebornCyclist wrote:2. Can we have real moves/hides, rather than handing them to each other, or handing them round to everyone at an event (after which there seem inevitably to be a couple which noone knows the subsequent location of), and the odd practice of having them "hidden" in one's front yard for collection. There was a cache last year that was published and hidden by cacher A, found by cacher B, handed it back to cacher A, who handed it to cacher C, who "hid" it in cacher D's front yard (or maybe just gave it to them), picked up by cacher E, hidden, found by cacher D, "hidden" in the front yard of cacher A, who archived it - less than two weeks after it had been published. Is it even anything like geocaching?
http://www.cachinggames.com/bingo/rules.php
Only moves count towards your bingo card and you must move the cache at least 1km to count as a valid move
You're talking about ethics here because the game software didn't count those as moves. I can't stop people doing as they see fit.

Just a cacher

Post by Just a cacher » 11 October 13 10:23 am

I just read the post by Reborncyclist and straight away went and checked out my "active" caches. I have archived several that seem to have been lost along the way. Excellent plan to check out active caches every so often, and definitely before a race starts. Thanks for the suggestion, Reborncyclist!

I think many of us have been a bit less than exact when it comes to the rules of the game. Some of us find that life gets in the way, or the weather, or whatever the excuse may be. It's easy to call someone and hand off caches, rather than placing them out in the wild, especially when you have a whole bunch of them. It really annoys me when others do it and I want to get hold of a particular cache, but I am guilty, too. :(

I get quite annoyed when people rush out on a midnight "first to find hunt", ftf every cache they can find, and then put them down somewhere and forget where, or miswrite the co-ords, or whatever it is. I know a number of caches have been lost that way, after the owner has spent a lot of time and/or money, and imagination on his/her entry.

Basically, I think C@W wants to have lots of caches out there, and for people to have a lot of fun. Preferably telling their friends about how much fun they're having, as well.

We can do that. We just have to think of others as well as ourselves. It shouldn't be too hard.

I want to find caches. I want to locate a cache spot, go there, search, find the cache, and smile. I'd like to see people putting a bit of thought and imagination into their entries. I'm going to.

Wendy

canary
8000 or more caches found
8000 or more caches found

Post by canary » 11 October 13 10:39 am

Just a cacher wrote:I want to find caches. I want to locate a cache spot, go there, search, find the cache, and smile. I'd like to see people putting a bit of thought and imagination into their entries. I'm going to.
But we do we need movables to do that? Usually they are just put in an easy to get to spot. Often a boring one.

Does GCA want to be known as the home of the movable? It is seen that way by certain cachers around my part of Sydney.

I would like to see more Traditional GCA caches!

Just a cacher

Post by Just a cacher » 11 October 13 11:32 am

We can do both!

So far, though, it seems easier to have just movables for a race. It's difficult to race something that doesn't move.

Perhaps you could think of a great idea for next year, involving traditional caches?

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 11 October 13 1:38 pm

Closest traditional cache to me is approximately 100km away and there are 3. That's it :-( With a game, I would be able to find 3 caches and then game over. That would make me sad. With a moveable cache race, there's a better chance of stuff coming near me than traditional caches which once found are dead to the game. Moveable caches can be found again and again and again.

The game is twofold.
1. Increase the participation at GCA.
2. Something else to do over summer.

A traditional game would go against 1 and 2. Unlike GC where caches come up all the time, GCA is less so and so even a game like the Olypmics games can't be GCA based as there simply aren't enough caches to go round.

I'm happy to entertain new idea. Time is the key to being able to set up the games.

Zalgariath
5500 or more caches found
5500 or more caches found

Post by Zalgariath » 12 October 13 3:04 pm

There is nothing wrong with the cache race idea, I just think the bingo aspect last year encouraged shall we say, spam.

So let's pick a great theme and find a way to keep the quality up. Maybe rather than limit the total number of caches, limit the size. Movable Micros... well, Ive only see a handful that were well done (Nothing wrong with a bison tube on a bigger gnome/space ship/ box, just as long as there is something proper to find and hide. Perhaps everyone could register only 1 micro / 2 small / Unlimited Reg+ ??

Also, one for Mtrax perhaps, now GCA caches all have a QR Code associated with them. It would be great if the app allowed us to scan them, and have a popup that says found / moved and if it was REALLY clever averaged some co-ords to auto fill into the log (3rd party app link in?!).

I'll still use a log book I think as not everyone uses the android app, but it was be a cool tool to help logging on the go!

GJMMelb
3000 or more caches found
3000 or more caches found

Post by GJMMelb » 14 October 13 12:49 pm

Theme: - Things with Wings

(ie)
Birds - of which there is a huge variety,
Planes,
Helicopters at a push lol
Dinosaurs (some)
Angels

s_mc500
150 or more caches found
150 or more caches found

Post by s_mc500 » 15 October 13 2:15 pm

GJMMelb wrote:Theme: - Things with Wings

(ie)
Birds - of which there is a huge variety,
Planes,
Helicopters at a push lol
Dinosaurs (some)
Angels
Hospitals
Boats
Tuxedos
1950's cars
Flying fish
Gnomes with wings bolted on
Leapfrogs sitting on planes

I like the moveable games, gnomes and frogs were both good, how about "action figures" and each hide has to add a bit to the action figures story?

daryllm123

Post by daryllm123 » 19 October 13 7:08 pm

I like the idea of the Space theme, I think the bingo part of last years led to a lot of handing over of caches to fellow caches just to get the number on their bingo card, other years we did it just for the fun of finding a cache and re hiding it,no fun if someone hands it to you, so I reckon we race to find which one travels the furthest only, as for limiting the numbers I think the more moving around the better, more chance of some moving close enough to grab, just my two cents worth

Tuena
6500 or more caches found

Post by Tuena » 19 October 13 10:55 pm

Anything to do with Space.

Just looking at what is happening in the Outer Limits next year & found:

Comet 17P/Holmes will reach perihelion which is bad news for the citizens of perihelion
An annular solar eclipse will occur. Sounds excruciating.
Fay's comet will also reach perihelion! An Annus horribilis for the perihelions.
NASA's New Horizons spacecraft will reach Neptune after 8 long years. It's on its way to Pluto but no one told it Pluto isn't worth visiting any more.
A 1978 NASA solar probe that was repurposed for a mission to explore comets has been redirected by the perihelions & is due to crash land on the front lawn of the Smithsonian.
A space probe is going to land on an asteroid, take a few samples by blasting it & then return the samples to Earth, which can't be good. 6 years to prepare.
The city of Cabo san Lucas will be the subject of a kaiju attack launched by those vengeful perihelions.
The 1963 production of Outer Limits is being digitalised, coloured & relaunched on an unsuspecting audience by the perihelions.

Tuena

Post by Tuena » 20 October 13 5:53 pm

Battleship

Just reading a post by Ma & Pa about a geocaching battleship game run in Canada viz http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/index. ... try5312355 if that works. They provide a link to the actual game website.

LouiseAnn
4500 or more caches found
4500 or more caches found

Post by LouiseAnn » 23 October 13 4:54 pm

I love this idea, or a variation, pesky!! good one

tronador

Post by tronador » 23 October 13 5:01 pm

Me too.