The fires

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
Yurt
4500 or more caches found
4500 or more caches found

The fires

Post by Yurt » 21 October 13 10:39 am

Hope all our friends in the Blue Mountains and other fire affected areas are okay.

Stay safe. It doesn't look good for the rest of the week.

akkatracker
600 or more caches found
600 or more caches found

Re: The fires

Post by akkatracker » 21 October 13 9:03 pm

I agree. Hope these conditions don't stay the same for the rest of the summer as we hoped to go hiking there (never done before :? )

Richary
8000 or more caches found

Post by Richary » 21 October 13 10:24 pm

Agreed. My boss used to live in that street at Winmalee they showed all the destroyed houses on the Thursday news. Luckily for him he has now moved to the Central Coast, but we are still waiting on news from his next door neighbour who drives cherry pickers from one of the companies we use and we see fairly often.

If anyone in the mountains has to get out and needs a space to stay for a few days, I can offer a spare double bed, foldout double bed couch, as well as a self inflating queen and single air mattress and a tent as accomodation here. Even if we are up near Hornsby and not that close to the fire affected areas. If a fellow cacher needs a hand let us know.

Gram&Gramps

Post by Gram&Gramps » 21 October 13 11:32 pm

We'll be in Sydney in early december. Where is the fire area in realation to Sydney?

Toriaz
200 or more found
200 or more found

Post by Toriaz » 22 October 13 5:55 am

pjmpjm
6000 or more caches found
Twitter: Booroobin

Blue Mountains Fires Update

Post by pjmpjm » 22 October 13 1:53 pm

Yurt wrote:Hope all our friends in the Blue Mountains and other fire affected areas are okay. Stay safe. It doesn't look good for the rest of the week.
Thanks, Yurt. I hadn't thought to post here at GCA, but should have updated everyone on the geocaching situation here in the Blue Mountains. The two main fire areas -- Lithgow/Mt. Vic and Winmalee/Yellow Rock/Hawkesbury Heights -- have had most of their 'bush' geocaches temporarily disabled. No doubt many of these have been burned, but this won't be known for a while yet. The fire danger is still very much present and Wednesday is predicted to be a bad day weather-wise, with high winds and high temperatures.

It's not a good idea for anyone to plan any geocaching around these parts for the next week or so. Emergency vehicles are everywhere and the two large fire areas are still a threat.

The 'Blue Mountains Geocaching' Facebook page has been carrying most of the relevant communications. Participants either live in the Blue Mountains or in the nearby western Sydney/Penrith area. (I live in Leura.)

After Wednesday we should know if the worst is over, or if more areas in the Blue Mountains will come under the threat of fires.

pjmpjm

Blue Mountains Fires

Post by pjmpjm » 22 October 13 1:56 pm

Gram&Gramps wrote:We'll be in Sydney in early december. Where is the fire area in realation to Sydney?
Toriaz has posted a useful map of the Blue Mountains fire areas. We all sincerely hope that by December all will be well around here. However, since this is a very early start to the fire season, it will pay to check before you leave for Sydney.

pjmpjm

Blue Mountains Fires Update -- Late Tuesday Afternoon

Post by pjmpjm » 22 October 13 5:16 pm

"RFS Commissioner Shane Fitzsimmons says the weather forecast for tomorrow is 'about as bad as it gets' and extreme fire danger ratings will be in place. We are talking about temperatures in the mid-30s to high-30s, we're talking humidities down to 10 per cent or less. And those wind strengths are going to continue as forecast, 40 to 50 gusting to 100 kilometres an hour across all those weather districts, including the firefighting areas of the greater Blue Mountains and Hawkesbury and the Southern Highlands area."

So, not a good time to be visiting up here . . .

pjmpjm

ALL Blue Mountains School Closed on Wednesday

Post by pjmpjm » 22 October 13 6:28 pm

Blue Mountains Police LAC: "Due to the large amount of fire activity and predicted deteriorating conditions, there will be a number of school closures on Wednesday 23 October 2013. ALL public, Catholic and Independent schools, as well as child care centres and pre-schools, in the Blue Mountains local government area will be closed."

pjmpjm

Blue Mountains Fires Update -- Map Wednesday 12 Noon

Post by pjmpjm » 23 October 13 12:40 pm

pjmpjm

NSW RFS 3pm Update for Blue Mountains

Post by pjmpjm » 23 October 13 3:14 pm

"It's tough going on the ground and in the air in the Blue Mountains. Strong winds are limiting the use of aircraft. At 3pm, an Emergency Warning is in place for the Springwood and Faulconbridge area."

Alansee
4000 or more? I'm officially obsessed.
4000 or more? I'm officially obsessed.

Post by Alansee » 23 October 13 5:16 pm

It is the wind that really causes the problems. Let us all hope that everyone stays safe. Houses can be rebuilt, as bad as loosing one is, even with prized possessions gone too.

And for what it is worth, the caches will probably be inaccessible for weeks, as all the access roads need to be checked and made safe after the fires and that simply takes time.

Richary

Post by Richary » 23 October 13 9:24 pm

Gram & Gramps - the fires won't affect your visit to the middle of Sydney, they are at their closest about 50km west. That said the Blue Mountains is a beautiful area to visit and you can easily catch a train up there from the city. The emergency will be well and truly over by December (unless their is a new one), though some national park areas and bushwalks may still be closed it is likely the major lookouts will be open.

Until the emergency is over I would suggest people stay away as they are asking to keep roads clear for emergency vehicles, this situation may have calmed down by the weekend but it is a wait and see at the moment - and until then I won't make a call on if I will try to head to the Mudgee event on Sunday.

Once things do calm down the suburban caches will all still be fine, the bush ones it will depend on the areas that have burnt. I am sure the National Parks website will be listing closed areas and trails (though I realise some of the caches aren't on official trails or in Parks areas). If the area has burnt be away of branches that may fall at random and so on for a period after if you have to walk through it.

Gram&Gramps

Post by Gram&Gramps » 23 October 13 10:54 pm

Thanks for all the info. We've had similar fire situations in the western & southwestern USA recently. Scary stuff, and heartwrenching for those involved. Just last night Gram was looking at things to do in the Sydney area, and said she thought the Blue Mountains looked like a good place to visit... I just said check it out a little further, and all of a sudden she found the wildfire info and changed her mind!