Early idea for 2013/2014 race

Discussion about the Geocaching Australia web site
Richary
8000 or more caches found

Re: Early idea for 2013/2014 race

Post by Richary » 31 January 13 9:59 pm

caughtatwork wrote:But then where is the incentive to get the physical tag in the colour you want? For all I know (because despite how I act, I don't know everything :-)) some teams will throw the game to end up in 3rd because they want the copper coloured tag :twisted:
Not if there are 20+ members in each team, randomly assigned. Some will be the mad competitive types who want to win at all costs. Others will be in it for fun. You would be unlikely to find a team who are all mad competitive buggers.

I do like the concept in that it involves country cachers, as even if there aren't any GCA physical caches in their area there are likely to be at least some trigs within reach.

I'm not sure how it will play out if competitive people in a team start to pressure others in their area to go and find a specific cache so they can claim the points on it. OTOH it might encourage people in an area to do a group assault on a remote trig or something so they can claim it.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 31 January 13 10:17 pm

Interesting thought just popped into my head, thanks Richary.

If you are the only blue in your area and you have 2 greens just across the suburb, blue is never going to be able to claim a cache in your area. i.e. The two greens will always outweigh the one blue. I have to think about how a lone colour can help their team capture a cache.

On the other hand if you have 6 reds locally (random possibility), you could physically team up, hatch a plot and capture every cache around you in one weekend and no-one else in the area would be in with a chance.

How would you feel if you were the only orange around and no matter what you did you, personally, never contributed to capturing a cache? I'd feel like I wasn't "pulling my weight" even though I had no choice in the matter.

I have to think about that.

rogerw3

Post by rogerw3 » 31 January 13 11:19 pm

Interesting idea, but in my area, while there are plenty of GCA caches they are mostly mine so I can't find them, the remainder with one or two exception I have already found. As for the Trigs not many in my strike range.
#-o :stabby ](*,)

How do I take part short of moving house? :D :)

blossom*
3000 or more caches found

Post by blossom* » 01 February 13 7:39 pm

I like the idea, the team idea is great, being in a team with some of the country cachers will be great, finding real caches is fun, having to hide a cache is fun. The pathtag is always most welcome and I'd be happy enough to buy one. The only slight concern that popped in my head is that people who specially target GCA caches in their area already are disadvantaged because they've already found a lot of the game pieces and so can't contribute to their "capture" for the team.

Maybe you could get around this by letting an earlier-than-the-game find count for the team once another member of their team finds a particular cache during the game period?

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 01 February 13 9:39 pm

It's the bane of any game where existing pieces are used. Some people have nothing left around them. I don't want to allow "prior" finds in part because those with huge found numbers (once it's been found by another team member) will swamp the game.

Maybe your strategy will be to "back off" during October / November for any new caches and hold them to find during the game. I'm expecting that there will be one new hide for every member of the game, so there will be new ones. You might need to move a good distance out of your caching zone to help your team though, especially if you've done all the local ones.

Of course, putting my conspiracy hat on, if I end up in an area with more than a few of my team members close by, then all I have to do is hide 50 micros, they all find them, get the team colour on the cache and .... bingo (sorry, wrong game) ... they get 50 instant captured caches if they feel confident there will be no outside raids.

People can be tricky. I might have to put a rule in place that only caches hidden on the first day of the game or before are eligible. i.e. No late placements for your team members to get hold of. Will also have to consider someone who has hidden a cache, gets a few of their team finds on it and archives the cache, not allowing anyone else a chance. There might have to be a rule that if the cache is archived (or made unavailable) during the game, even if replaced, is DQ'd and all finds are removed from the counts. Lots of possible ways to "win" by devious means.

tronador
6500 or more caches found

Post by tronador » 01 February 13 11:52 pm

caughtatwork wrote: I might have to put a rule in place that only caches hidden on the first day of the game or before are eligible. i.e. No late placements for your team members to get hold of.
Definitely! Levels the playing field just like Geosportz. This is one aspect I did not enjoy this year and why I lost interest. Caches being placed during the game then horded and not moved freely around.

g_ordo
500 or more caches logged
500 or more caches logged

Post by g_ordo » 03 February 13 6:27 pm

How about a new cache type?? Like a "live moveable"..

A few years back we managed to work out how to publish the tracking on my "spot" to put in the Burke and wills series. Unfortunately it never got to start, that's another story ;-(

Since then the smart phones have come a long way, and there are some live tracking apps available...

Main problem I see here is there may need to be the ability to "deactivate at night" option so as people arent getting kooks on their doors at all hours....

Perhaps this may be a better idea for a one off event though...

GJMMelb

Post by GJMMelb » 03 February 13 11:47 pm

Based on what happened in the 2012/2013 game ... could there be a point loss penalty to a team that doesn't rehide a moveable within 2 or 3 or 4 days (or whatever you deem reasonable) to prevent a team from hanging onto a moveable for ages stopping other teams from logging a find on that moveable ......... just sayin' it could happen coz it did happen this past 2 months

and yes we were guilty too of holding onto to some moveables for more than 2 days sometimes coz life got busy, but mostly so we could take them to events (and once coz we didn't realise it was hiding in the boot of our car for nearly 2 weeks coz we thought we had dropped it off at an event !! :oops: )

Facitman
1400 or more caches found
1400 or more caches found

Post by Facitman » 04 February 13 9:53 pm

For me a "team" game would be less attractive. This year I played when I had time and I think the team aspect would apply a level of pressure to be as OCD as others that I would not want to buy into. YMMV

As much as I was not "competing" I found the non-competitive nature of the game this year less appealing, if we all hide enough caches so everyone can complete the bingo cards then doesn't that devalue it a bit? Again YMMV

One of the Rush caches was archived in the last couple of weeks which reminded me of the games played in the early years of caching. Some bad experiences were had by some as the competitive nature was over the top but the games were about a few finds of higher value, more quality vs quantity in my view. This year the flood of moveables was just a bit too far in the quantity over quality direction for my liking. and yes, YMMV.

Peter

bructus

Post by bructus » 21 July 13 5:10 am

caughtatwork wrote:The more I see comments like yours FF, the more I'm tending to use every GCA cache listed for the 2013/2014 game.

I'm still currently thinking along the team lines. Any cache that hasn't been found by you before is in the game and that includes TrigPoints and as moveables can be found more than once, you can log additional finds on existing moveable caches. I will have a "you must hide a new cache to enter" requirement though. Remember one of my goals is to increase the use at GCA, so more caches achieves that goal. That requirement can be any cache type, so the opportunity exists to make a traditional, multi, mystery, etc cache for your "entry".

Teams are assigned randomly. 4 teams. Green, Yellow, Blue and Orange. i.e. The colours of the GCA logo. You find a cache, your team gets a point on that cache. At the end of the game the highest finds in the game period on a given cache means that team captures the cache. i.e. Team red has 5 finds, yellow has 4, green has 3 and blue has 2. Team red would have captured the cache. The team with the highest cache captures, wins. Draws on the number of finds on a cache means it's jointly captured and both teams get a point.

Given teams will be assigned randomly you might enter with your partner where each of you have a different caching name. You might be on the same team. You might be on a different team. The choice is up to you as to whether you leave your caching partner behind and go claim caches for your team :-) Teams will presumably (assuming teams are assigned randomly) also be a mix of urban, rural and remote caches and will hopefully come from all states. So your team members should be from all states and be in any geographic location. That means hopefully, you, in the middle of nowhere gets on a team with a bunch of rabid cachers in an urban area with lots of cachers.

There will need to a "minimum contribution" to you your team that you'll need to meet. i.e. No freeloaders. I have no idea what that might be yet.

I am envisioning 4 prizes. A gold pathtag for the winning team. A silver for 2nd. Bronze (or copper really) for 3rd and 4th, er, I suppose black nickel given there are only 4 metallic finishes available from pathtags.

I am assuming (for the moment) that with any GCA cache up for grabs and the entry requirement being "hide a cache" there could be a non-trivial number of people enter. Given everyone will get a prize in one colour or another, I need to seriously consider covering the cost of production of the tags as well $0.60 for postage. While I love you all, I'm not made of money.

Minimum order of tags are in groups of 100 and a new tag will be about $200. The rest of them would be about $150 per set of 100 as I would only be varying the metal plating, not creating a new design. Assuming I need 100 of each colour (minimum order), that's $650 plus postage for the prizes. 400 tags will be $240 to mail, so all up the prizes will total a minimum of $900 (jeepers creepers, that's a bunch o cash).

My initial thought was an entry fee for the game of (say) $5.00, GCA might get a few bucks for the server fund from anything left over. 200 entrants would cover the cost of the prizes.

That disadvantages those who might not have the cash to splash and will also impact kids who want to play the game but don't have access to the money to play. That also turns it into the kind of game where I might have to consider whether I need to abide by any lottery regulations if there is an entry free and a prize. It also means that any prize is not a prize, per se. i.e. You are really buying a pathtag, but of course, it is going to be a pathtag you won't be able to get by any other means.

My second thought (actually suggested by my daughter) was, apart from the need to hide a cache to enter the game, you can pay if you want the pathtag prize. i.e. If you want to enter and play the game for fun, you can still get a "virtual" prize in that you'll get an icon on your cacher page. But if you want the pathtag physical prize, then you need to fork up the monies. I kind of like that idea as you can enter for free if you want the fun and you can pay the monies if you want the prize. That still means 200 people have to pony up $5.00 each to cover the prize costs.

I also have to consider when to chop off the "yes, we'll pay for the prize". I'm thinking for simplicity either right up front OR halfway through the game. i.e. At some relatively early point you need to commit to pay for the prize. If only 200 people pay for the prize, assuming an even distribution, we would have out 50 of each colour tag, but we've bought 100 of each. What do I do with 200 left over pathtags?

I prattle on, don't I :-)

They're my thoughts at the moment. Get every cache involved if you haven't found it before. Hide a new cache. Give us some money if you want a physical prize (guaranteed one of 4 colours). Teams work together or against each other to capture a cache. Minimum involvement in your team to be considered a "winner' (no freeloaders).

What do you think? Too hard? Too complex? Too much focus on the prize? Only the winning team win a prize? Too simplistic? Does it involve those from GCA poor areas enough? Too much leeway for cheating? Gimme your thoughts, please.

keen for a progress report on you 2013/2014 creation =D>

Phetlern

Post by Phetlern » 23 July 13 11:56 am

Just catching up!

We'd be happy to pay a $10 entry fee on the basis that the surplus goes to the server fund.

daryllm123

Post by daryllm123 » 04 August 13 1:08 pm

I have played the last three years and had fun doing it. I think the Gnome one was the best fun maybe because of the fun of finding and running of with a garden gnome has some appeal to it, I also like the simplicity of the game and watching were my gnomes, frogs or whatever we use end up, if I had some spare time and there was a movable nearby I would grab it and rehide it, that as far as I was concerned a bonus, I never even filled one bingo card last year but that's ok I got out of the game what I wanted, FUN, i think we need to keep the game simple, the more competitive and complicated we make it the more people will push the boundaries and the FUN of the game will be lost. the game was originally set up as a cache race and the idea was to see which cache travels the greatest distance and that was it. lets just go back to the basics, come up with a theme get some caches ready and race them :D

oldfella
10000 or more caches found

Post by oldfella » 04 August 13 1:27 pm

I live in an area that I own 95% of the caches. Do not mind paying a fee to participate. I have played in the last three games and have made caches to hide in each game. I was not able to actually find any Bingo caches as I had too far to drive and not that many close to me, within 300Klm. I suppose those of us who live in the country know and accept this.

I also would like to go back to the basics. I have no problem with whatever rules apply as there are those who are going to benefit because they live in populated areas Sydney Melbourne etc and that is where the majority of players live or work. I will not be disappointed if I am not able to actively participate in finding caches but would love the opportunity to hide a few for those that are really able to fully participate in the game what ever format is finally decided. Getting very close for C@W to make his final decision as it is August. I love living in the country.

My thoughts only.

Tuena

Post by Tuena » 04 August 13 7:29 pm

Country cachers V City cachers (as groups).

No need for colours & rules simplified. Hide a cache, points awarded for distance travelled by the participants, terrain rating 3 or above for existing trigs sees higher point value than say a trig on a water tower or one that can be driven to, points for moveables awarded based on distance moved, points for finds.

Would see more caches & cachers in country areas.

The A.C.T. would be defined as a city, as would capital cities to their outer metropolitan borders. Provincial cities with a population of 100,000 or less would be country.

budgietas

Post by budgietas » 24 September 13 5:55 pm

Hi CaughtatWork

I would pay an entry fee, more than happy to

Any idea if this is going to happen and a theme - I need to start preparing!!!!