Oddball 'communities'

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
Happy Chappies
2000 or more caches found

Oddball 'communities'

Post by Happy Chappies » 16 July 13 4:01 pm

This is a slightly off-cache topic, but seeking the help of the members of this rather oddball community of geocachers, in trying to find out some other oddball communities...

Background: I'm responsible (amongst other things) for pulling together our staff conference. We are playing with the idea of 'community', and amongst a range of other speakers/activities we are also having a panel made up of reps/members from what we're calling 'unexpected communities' - Communities that people wouldn't initially think of as a community, but which are for weird and wonderful reasons.

Groups we've got or are approaching now include:

- Humans vs Zombies (essentially a big game of nerf tag which takes place in Melbourne every so often)
- Trekkies Fan Club(of course)
- Yarn bombers

I'd be keen to have some other, different sorts of communities there too - Maybe sport, music, other??

I did contemplate geocaching, but wasn't sure whether it was the best fit - and of course who do you ask to speak on behalf of the 'community'?

Grey Nomads? They're a fascinating bunch, but again, who could speak? I guess there's a couple of people in our midst who could....

Weird sports? (Anyone for Trugo?)

Any ideas you have or oddball communities you might be involved in or know of would be really helpful... Ta muchly :)

Papa Bear_Left
800 or more hollow logs searched

Re: Oddball 'communities'

Post by Papa Bear_Left » 16 July 13 4:37 pm

A new, basically manufactured, community is forming around the Google game Ingress (ingress.com)

There are two factions in the game, and there's already derogatory slang for the "other" team, and some fairly interesting real-world interactions going on.

You'd need to get involved to see who's active in your area, but there's a reasonable overlap with geocaching, so a message here would likely reach relevant eyes.

Happy Chappies

Post by Happy Chappies » 16 July 13 4:40 pm

Papa Bear_Left wrote:A new, basically manufactured, community is forming around the Google game Ingress (ingress.com)

There are two factions in the game, and there's already derogatory slang for the "other" team, and some fairly interesting real-world interactions going on.

You'd need to get involved to see who's active in your area, but there's a reasonable overlap with geocaching, so a message here would likely reach relevant eyes.
Thanks - I actually had a short play with Ingress but must admit it didn't particularly grab me. (Not helped by my underpowered small-screened phone). But I agree it's got a strong element on community.... Ta!

cap flint
100 or more tracks walked
100 or more tracks walked

Post by cap flint » 16 July 13 5:07 pm

Wanted to check it out the other day but the ingress game is made for android OS only, I think. It would not work with iPhone.

Tyreless

Post by Tyreless » 16 July 13 5:28 pm

Bell ringers (campanologists). I come from a family of bell ringers (I haven't done it for years myself) and I know there is a Melbourne bell ringer who posts in the forums sometimes (he mentioned a recent trip to Adelaide to ring at the cathedral there). Just don't tell my relatives that they are "oddball" :)

jonnosan+2

Post by jonnosan+2 » 16 July 13 8:00 pm

There's a surprisingly vibrant community based on creating graphic effects and/or chip music on old computers (especially the Commodore 64).
Have a look at http://www.syntaxparty.org/

LouiseAnn
4500 or more caches found

Post by LouiseAnn » 16 July 13 9:15 pm

SteamPunkers? ?(not sure if that's a word.... but people who are into Steam Punk) A large group of them came out to the Steam Club the other day and took photos of each other for hours. Odd, but cool outfits!!

WazzaAndWenches
5000 or more caches found

Post by WazzaAndWenches » 16 July 13 10:55 pm

How about ...
Gunzles - train buffs, particularly photo takers
Rivet Counters (ok, perhaps a bit derogatory) - generally model train enthusiasts that are perfectionists. Try Aust Model Railway Assoc. www.amra.asn.au
MAMIL's. (Middle Aged Men In Lycra) - the group of bicycle riders that gather very early in all weather and ride in a group. Maybe Backpaqer could assist although he's TDFing at the moment.

juc_cacher

Post by juc_cacher » 16 July 13 11:33 pm

They don't come much odder than the Cosplay folks, I'm not involved in any way, although I have seen photos posted on a photography forum (a quick google for cosplay images will show some startling although not too rude results...maybe careful though if you're at work).

They have a presence on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/pages/Australi ... 6078144590

Laighside Legends
10000 or more caches found
10000 or more caches found

Post by Laighside Legends » 18 July 13 4:22 pm

I once had an engineering lecturer who was a Bellringer in his spare time. Needless to say sound recordings of the bells were often used in signal processing examples...

The 'Dress up in medieval costumes and have sword fights' group would be an interesting one. I'm sure they have a proper name...

Parkour maybe? I don't know much about them/that.

I like this thread, it makes us look a bit more normal! :mrgreen:

Happy Chappies

Post by Happy Chappies » 18 July 13 4:25 pm

Thanks heaps for all these ideas - they've been useful to feed into the mix. Keep 'em coming... :D

Also going to chase up the whole roller derby phenomenon possibly - that's a very strikingly different community. Still very keen for a grey nomad though. I know we have some amongst us on this site - Any of them Melbourne based? (assuming they're not nomadic at the moment!)

Yurt

Post by Yurt » 18 July 13 7:08 pm

Minecraft people?

Onesie wearers (outside)?

Plane spotters?

Zalgariath
5500 or more caches found
5500 or more caches found

Post by Zalgariath » 18 July 13 7:33 pm

Ingress is super community based. Hard to get along as an individual player.
Munzees
Pathtaggers
OSM Contributors :P
Twitchers

juc_cacher

Post by juc_cacher » 19 July 13 12:53 am

Happy Chappies wrote:. Still very keen for a grey nomad though. I know we have some amongst us on this site - Any of them Melbourne based? (assuming they're not nomadic at the moment!)
I was up in the Kimberly a week or two ago. They're all up there at the moment, I think, sorry. :oops: :oops: :D

Bundyrumandcoke

Post by Bundyrumandcoke » 19 July 13 12:28 pm

Tyreless wrote:Bell ringers (campanologists). I come from a family of bell ringers (I haven't done it for years myself) and I know there is a Melbourne bell ringer who posts in the forums sometimes (he mentioned a recent trip to Adelaide to ring at the cathedral there). Just don't tell my relatives that they are "oddball" :)
I havent done it for years either, but when younger, I rang the bells at St Andrews Anglican church at Lutwyche, Brisbane. 13 bell carillion played by one person via a huge keyboard. It even got me musicians badges in cubs and scouts.

I was also going to mention Gunzells, but its already gone.