Helpful Hints for Newcomers

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
Familyrogers

Re: Helpful Hints for Newcomers

Post by Familyrogers » 26 June 13 9:39 am

Hi, we are really new as in we are going to go Geocaching for the first time in the school holidays. I wondered if someone could advise me. If I bought a supply of things to swap in the boxes what sort of ballpark value would I be looking at, and if we are to take replacement log books can anyone advise me of suitable notebooks to buy for that too.

Just a cacher

Post by Just a cacher » 26 June 13 10:32 am

Most swaps are little plastic thingies - dinosaurs, Macdonalds toys, farm animals.... Of course, you can come across anything from REAL rubbish to quite nice things such as small radios, but nice is rare. I'd look for a few small things around your house (in the junk drawer is a good place to start), and not spend any money until you have had a few goes. You may not find anything you want to swap. If you're taking kids, get them to donate a few small things before you start.

Mostly you won't need replacement logs. You WILL need a pen to sign with. One small piece of paper, or a small book you can tear neatly would do until you get some idea about what you're going to find out there.

Most of all, have fun! It's great!

Familyrogers

Post by Familyrogers » 26 June 13 11:33 pm

Thanks very much for the help :) the four children are very excited ( and so am I) \:D/

Q71

Post by Q71 » 28 June 13 10:12 pm

My boy and i went in search of our first cache today, and were successful....he now wants to go out all day tomorrow lol....i have no idea about any of it, to be honest, not the abbreviations, the terminology, what to expect or find, or do when i find it...but today was fun :)

Zalgariath
5500 or more caches found
5500 or more caches found

Post by Zalgariath » 29 June 13 1:13 pm

Q71 wrote:My boy and i went in search of our first cache today, and were successful....he now wants to go out all day tomorrow lol....i have no idea about any of it, to be honest, not the abbreviations, the terminology, what to expect or find, or do when i find it...but today was fun :)
You will learn fast... and if not, the kids will learn faster ;)

Just a cacher

Post by Just a cacher » 29 June 13 1:59 pm

There is a wiki link at the top of this page. It's very handy for all sorts of caching questions. Try there. If you still have worries or questions, ask. We won't laugh. Well, not much. We all had to learn.

Angus88

Post by Angus88 » 14 August 13 9:12 am

Hi. I have been caching via the .com site for about eight months. I am a bit slow in working out this .au website. Are the caches here in addition to the .com caches? Is a GPS unit a must here or can I use a smartphone? Can I "find nearby caches"? These are my initial questions if anyone can help.

Just a cacher

Post by Just a cacher » 14 August 13 10:42 am

1. There are caches that are specifically for THIS site, and not on the GC site. However, depending on where you look, you can find the GC caches on here as well.

2. Most people find that a smart phone does the trick for most occasions, these days. If you are using one happily, then keep on!

3. Not sure.

4. Why don't you have a look at movable caches? Just for something new and interesting? Movables are exclusive to the GA site.

Tuena
6500 or more caches found
6500 or more caches found

Post by Tuena » 14 August 13 2:22 pm

Angus88 wrote:Hi. I have been caching via the .com site for about eight months. I am a bit slow in working out this .au website. Are the caches here in addition to the .com caches? Is a GPS unit a must here or can I use a smartphone? Can I "find nearby caches"? These are my initial questions if anyone can help.
In respect of - Can I find nearby caches?

I did a search on this site of Kialla & found one moveable cache, Freddo the Leapfrog, moved 71 weeks ago & waiting patiently for you. If you select this cache then scroll down to "Other Caches" on the right hand side you have several options for Nearby Caches, both combined & GCA only. You can use these options to plan your searches. I own a smart phone & have installed Mtrax's GCA App however that said, I use a hand held GPSr & load caches onto it via GSAK. My smart phone is pretty basic to say the least so it is used to see whether there are any GCA caches nearby that aren't on my GPSr or have recent finds, changes etc.

Personally if I was you I'd adjust your address to just show Kialla.

Ozefish

Post by Ozefish » 05 October 14 1:25 pm

Hi,
I am very new to this and would like to ask about locating caches in our town. I know there are none here at present. I am the secretary of a historical society so would like to feature the history of our town in the locations and the contents. So far I have a variety of waterproof containers - some metal and some plastic; logbooks to put in them, ideas of where and how to hide them and some old photos and some historical material about each scene the cache would be in. My questions I suppose relate to what else needs to be in the cache? is there a form or letter that must be in for 'others' who find the cache? must they contain things to take away? (some I have found just have a logbook in them) anything else I need to know and how long does it take to be reviewed generally?
Thanks Ozefish

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Twitter: CraigRat
Facebook: http://facebook.com/CraigRat

Post by CraigRat » 05 October 14 2:22 pm

Ozefish wrote:Hi,
I am very new to this and would like to ask about locating caches in our town. I know there are none here at present. I am the secretary of a historical society so would like to feature the history of our town in the locations and the contents. So far I have a variety of waterproof containers - some metal and some plastic; logbooks to put in them, ideas of where and how to hide them and some old photos and some historical material about each scene the cache would be in. My questions I suppose relate to what else needs to be in the cache? is there a form or letter that must be in for 'others' who find the cache? must they contain things to take away? (some I have found just have a logbook in them) anything else I need to know and how long does it take to be reviewed generally?
Thanks Ozefish
I'd advise you go find some before hiding any!

That said, here's some tips on what you need to hide a cache: http://wiki.geocaching.com.au/wiki/Hiding_a_cache

ian-and-penny
10000 or more caches found
10000 or more caches found

Post by ian-and-penny » 05 October 14 8:34 pm

Please don't put out any Eclipse/Mint tins. Be inventive and try and hide the largest container you can possibly manage.

We have been caching now for over ten years and it is really sad to note that the trend of placing small caches without swaps is increasing, especially in a spots where a much larger container could have been placed.

Kids and grandkids really love to find "Treasure". they find Nanos, mint tins and empty 200ml Sistemas boring.

It's really sad that nobody wants to place large, kid friendly caches any more.

Frogglin
1 or more caches found
1 or more caches found
Twitter: Frogglin

Post by Frogglin » 26 October 14 6:01 pm

Drat, ian-and-penny, I've been eating mints like no one's business for powertrail purposes. (I'm 100% joking, though I did pick up an ammo can at an antique shop, want to get more finds before hiding a permanent cache though).

As for helpful hints, here's mine from this week. When you get to the area you're about to go caching in, make sure you load the correct way point on your GPSr. Don't ask me why that came up, I don't wish to discuss it... ;)

jeffery.waddo2016

Post by jeffery.waddo2016 » 14 December 16 11:51 am

i have recently found a geocache and had no idea what was the go till i found this website and registered. how do i continue to find and how do i log its location as it is not on the map at Armidale NSW???. It has 2 peeps names and dates on it. do i need to have the code written on the geocache?? Thanx in advance

WazzaAndWenches
5000 or more caches found
5000 or more caches found

Post by WazzaAndWenches » 16 December 16 10:19 pm

jeffery.waddo2016 wrote:i have recently found a geocache and had no idea what was the go till i found this website and registered. how do i continue to find and how do i log its location as it is not on the map at Armidale NSW???. It has 2 peeps names and dates on it. do i need to have the code written on the geocache?? Thanx in advance
Welcome to geocaching.
If the code starts with GC, the cache will be listed on geocaching.com, an American based web site run by a "for profit" business.
If the code begins with GA it will be listed on geocaching.com.au, an Aussie site run by Aussies, for Aussies (and anyone else) at no cost, ever. There's plenty of info on the wiki pages (there's a link hanging off the main menu at the top of the page). Otherwise just ask here on the forum pages

Waz.