Logging Archived Caches

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
Hoojar
5000 or more caches found

Logging Archived Caches

Post by Hoojar » 12 September 12 3:28 pm

On a number of occasions I have logged an archived cache as found, as I have found the cache and written my name in the log book. Two specific occasions come to mind, once I knew that the cache was archived, but suspected it was still there (http://coord.info/GC2W8H8). On another occasion I was not aware that the cache was archived until I went to log it online (http://coord.info/GC2AZG1).

I personally have no issue with logging an archived cache, hey, if I write my name in the log book, it is a find! In fact, I think someone, maybe Crew 153, even has a bookmark list of archived caches that may still actually be out there and hence able to be found.

The point of my post... Given that there does not seem to be a community aversion to logging archived caches, why is it that no one logs archived EarthCaches, Virtual Caches, Webcam Caches and Locationless Caches?
Last edited by Hoojar on 12 September 12 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LouiseAnn
4500 or more caches found

Re: Logging Archived Caches

Post by LouiseAnn » 12 September 12 3:50 pm

for me personally, I wouldn't be able to find them (on the website).

Hoojar

Post by Hoojar » 12 September 12 3:53 pm

Upon further review it appears that Locationless Caches are locked and cannot be logged in anyway. This was probably to force people onto Waymarking. It appears that this happened but a few months before I started caching.

But my question about other cache types is still valid.

Yurt

Post by Yurt » 12 September 12 6:55 pm

A cacher suddenly archived a whole heap of caches here in Sydney but people who still had them in their GPSrs still were logging them for months afterwards indicating it was a 'virtual' archive, not a physical archive.

I've gone looking for some archived caches that sound a little ambiguous on the off chance they are still there, have had success a couple of times.

Dvixen
750 or more caches found
750 or more caches found
Twitter: Dvixen, Geowhat

Post by Dvixen » 12 September 12 7:30 pm

I've logged a long lost archived cache that was still hidden 6 metres from a new cache. I was new and felt guilty for claiming a two for one, but both cache owners said it was valid.

I'd never have thought to archive an Earthcache or such. I don't tend to look for things that are archived, because my brain thinks they no longer exist. (amusing in the case of most Earthcaches.)

Browngang
2800 or more caches found
2800 or more caches found

Post by Browngang » 12 September 12 9:21 pm

I've found and logged an archived cache. Sometimes they get archived without the owner even going to check if they are gone, like Hoojar's one on the mid north coast.
The old multi that I found was near this one http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_de ... wp=GC3BBY9. When I got there, I took to the bush (at least 15m away) to find a tree :-" and nearly peed on it.
So I picked it up, logged it and put it near the newly published trad, which I ftf'ed, but it already had water in the cache. I happened to have a new watertight container so replaced that aswell. So there were now 3 containers there, all lined up side by side.
#-o There was some confusion as to what was what after that as the owner didn't go and remove any of them.
When I got home I discovered I could "find" and archived cache so did just that!
Cheers

Tuena
6500 or more caches found
6500 or more caches found

Post by Tuena » 12 September 12 10:40 pm

The macro I use to update GSAK deletes all archived caches so the chance of looking for one is minimal. Indeed I haven't looked for an archived cache since the macro was installed. However if I found one I'd log it, probably.

Richary
8000 or more caches found
8000 or more caches found

Post by Richary » 13 September 12 12:28 am

I am unlikely to look for an archived cache for the reasons given above (they won't appear in my PQs). I found one that was the end of an archived multi and happened to be close to a newer trad (within a few metres - so I still have to go back and log the trad).

Things like earthcaches and virtuals are harder - the info or item is still present. But you no longer get a reply from the CO if you can claim it. If the CO hasn't logged in for a while then I will just log it, post them a note with the answers and saying I will delete the find if they don't figure I have met the requirements. If I don't get a reply for whatever reason then the log stands.

Bewilderbeest
2000 or more caches found
2000 or more caches found

Post by Bewilderbeest » 13 September 12 8:42 am

I dont actively seek archived caches, but will log a find if I happen across one. And thats the difference - its finding the physical cache that prompts me, so I dont go 'Oh I wonder if there used to be a virtual cache here' and look online for it later so I can log it.

Hoojar

Post by Hoojar » 13 September 12 11:15 am

Richary wrote:Things like earthcaches and virtuals are harder - the info or item is still present. But you no longer get a reply from the CO if you can claim it. If the CO hasn't logged in for a while then I will just log it, post them a note with the answers and saying I will delete the find if they don't figure I have met the requirements. If I don't get a reply for whatever reason then the log stands.
My line of thinking is the same, if the item that was required to be visited is still there, then the Earth/Webcam/Virtual Cache could still be found. Such examples in NSW could include:

EarthCache at Jenolan Caves
Webcam Cache at Channel 7's Sunrise in Martin Place
Virtual Cache at Bondi

Alansee
4000 or more? I'm officially obsessed.
4000 or more? I'm officially obsessed.

Post by Alansee » 13 September 12 5:10 pm

Same as for others I think - if it has been archived I don't look for it, regardless of what type it is, but if I stumbled upon one I would log it.

As a classic example, I went looking for a cache in Sydney a few years back. I found it about 10metres from the supposed hide, just lying in some mown grass. Imagine my surprise when I went to log, only to find that it had been archived over a year ago! :shock: It was in my before-GSAK days and I was using an old printout.

So I logged that!

AussieCacheHunter
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

Post by AussieCacheHunter » 13 September 12 6:42 pm

Alansee wrote:Same as for others I think - if it has been archived I don't look for it, regardless of what type it is, but if I stumbled upon one I would log it.
That's pretty much how I feel. If I find it I find it, but if I don't know it's there I won't look for it.
I guess the only exception would be if I was pretty much (<200m or so) at GZ anyway (for what ever reason), and people were actively logging finds.

pjmpjm
6000 or more caches found
6000 or more caches found
Twitter: Booroobin

Post by pjmpjm » 16 September 12 9:39 am

In the past I've occasionally gone looking for archived caches, when I was living in the northwest of Sydney.

But I can only recall one occasion, with a GCA traditional near Pennant Hills, where I actually found one.

As others have written, I'm aware that archived caches can indeed be logged, and would certainly do so if I found one!

Zalgariath
5500 or more caches found
5500 or more caches found

Post by Zalgariath » 16 September 12 1:22 pm

There is a cache I found in the UK that was archived the day it was published... on purpose. It is in the Geocache UK Store and the way they got around the "Non-Commercial" cache clause was by GS publishing the cache with the understanding it will not show up on the map and the only way to find it is to get the GC number from the shop. So as long as there is still a log to sign Id have no problems logging an archived cache as even TPTB allow it. Virts, Locs, and Earth Caches where Owner Input / Response is needed I would not. Though an old webcam that is still active I would if I got the shot.

GazaC

Post by GazaC » 07 May 13 9:38 am

I logged an archived cache yesterday, and a couple of hours later, the reviewer brought down the hammer, locking the page.
It had been archived for over 2 years and had several finds and DNFs logged over that period. Why now?