Armchair discoveries

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
tronador
6500 or more caches found

Armchair discoveries

Post by tronador » 11 April 13 11:32 pm

Hmm received a discovered log on my TB , but this TB is sitting on my desk at home. WT?...... so I emailed the cacher to please explain. The response was he got the code online, huh? ?.... from an online code generator and if his log was not ok then to delete it. Wt?...... what is the point of this?...... Generate codes for random TB in countries you've never been to, log them.......... for what reason? Really don't understand this. Log will be deleted ,this is taking armchair caching to the extreme.

Team Wibble
2100 or more geocaches found

Re: Armchair discoveries

Post by Team Wibble » 11 April 13 11:38 pm

I started getting several virtual logs on two of my geocoins, several of which plainly stated that they gained the codes from a list distributed at a caching event in (I think) Germany. And saying "thanks for the icon".
One of the coins at the time was physically in the USA.
Logs were deleted and a note added to the coin pages that virtual logs would be deleted. I did get an apology from one of the cachers who's log I deleted. I can't see the appeal of logging TBs and coins you've never set eyes on??

Toriaz
200 or more found
200 or more found

Post by Toriaz » 12 April 13 7:05 am

There were a couple of lists of coins for discovery at one of the Sydney events earlier in the year, a big pile of them so you could just pick up the list & not bother to even look at the coins.

If that's a common practise at events, there's probably sites where the lists from various events get uploaded, for anyone to view.

tronador

Post by tronador » 12 April 13 7:56 am

My log came from a cacher in Germany, that's why I questioned it. These lists seem pointless to me.

Happy Chappies
2000 or more caches found

Post by Happy Chappies » 12 April 13 10:41 am

Geez.... Logging coins you've never seen or held, 'visiting' coins into caches you've never gone to (as with the 2 millionth cache shenanigans).... I guess this silly old game of 'going outside and finding stuff' is getting a bit tiresome, is it? :roll:

Happy Chappies

Post by Happy Chappies » 12 April 13 12:22 pm

This topic got me exploring and I soon located this site: http://www.tee-bees.co.uk/

Seems not only do you not need to actually see/hold a TB, you don't even need to copy TB codes off a printed list at the event. You can just enter the password for the event (provided at the event I assume), and every TB dropped off there will be automatically 'discovered' by you. I guess it saves the effort of writing down a pile of codes, but just logging coins/bugs without actually looking at them, reading their missions, and appreciating them seems a bit meaningless (For me anyway).

Richary
8000 or more caches found
8000 or more caches found

Post by Richary » 12 April 13 10:26 pm

For a while at least Adelaide held a pub lunch during the week every couple of months or so. Given it was during cachers lunch breaks time was generally limited, by the time you got your schnitzel and a beer. Often lots of TBs would turn up, it wasn't uncommon for someone to create a list of them and then email it out to those who wanted it from the attendees.

Often we would look at the bugs and coins, but writing down all the codes would have taken up too much of the time available. For that reason I didn't even bother going near the TB tables at the last two megas!

I don't generally bother now, unless I take the traveller to move on. If it's a particularly nice coin either for swap or in someone's personal collection then I might discover it.

quiet1_au
5500 or more caches found
5500 or more caches found

Post by quiet1_au » 13 April 13 12:12 am

Back when I first started using GSAK and BadgeGen I thought I'd never be able to make to to the lowly bronze level for TBs or GCs so hit Google for some TB images and discovered a few of them ("discovered on Google" or words to that effect) - I had seen the actual trackable tag/coin in the photograph so in a sense had "discovered" it.

Doing this, I found that some of the trackable owners specifically disallowed virtual finds (tattooed ones in particular) =; [-X so I respected their wishes and didn't log any of those - fair enough, their tag, their rules! After a few such requests I gave up on the virtual option.

Since then such virtual "finds" are unnecessary as I attend events and can legitimately find many trackables - but occasionally some of the codes I jot down get recorded wrong and fail to be easily corrected (o=0, i=1=l, etc) so I have to miss out on a legitimate discovery... That's when a master event list could be useful - but the idea of just logging an event-load of trackable codes when you didn't attend, and/or only have seen the code in text form is quite different I think - you haven't actually seen the tag/coin/object, just a random string in a text file/webpage...

Like video games, some with play by the rules, some with use the cheat-codes and hacks... But as a trackable (or cache) owner, ultimately you can exercise the right to veto dodgy finds - but is it worth it? That's a personal questions I suppose.

:-$

tronador

Post by tronador » 13 April 13 8:31 am

Yes but the lists you are all talking about were at events y ou attended.This cacher in question lives in germany has never been to an event here and ssid there are online code generators that give you the codes. Totally pointless in my opinion and a form of online hacking.

Team Wibble

Post by Team Wibble » 13 April 13 10:29 am

Same here. I don't have a problem with take-away lists of codes for trackables that are at an event.
The list that people were logging from for my coins was a list provided at an event, but it appears it was just a list of trackables randomly cobbled together by... someone, I guess. Neither of the coins were logged into the event, neither of them were even in the same country as the event! So someone is providing people with lists of trackable codes so they can collect icons. Each to their own, I guess, but I'd rather only log a trackable I've come across in a cache or at an event. It just seems so pointless otherwise.

oakydog
1100 or more caches found
1100 or more caches found

Post by oakydog » 03 May 13 7:23 am

I've always found discovering trackables at events a bit bazar ( but each to their own I guess )let alone logging a trackable you haven't seen. The 2million cache that was just over the top, what's with dropping trackables off in a cache you haven't visited then asking people to discover them.
I think I'I just stick to finding boxes

Yurt
4500 or more caches found
4500 or more caches found

Post by Yurt » 13 May 13 4:32 pm

I found an old slide of me when I was about six years old with the family at a trig at The Rock or perhaps Galore Hill. I could claim that one as a find retrospectively... :mrgreen:

Aushiker
350 ? I am the lizard queen
Twitter: Aushiker

Post by Aushiker » 15 May 13 12:51 pm

oakydog wrote:I've always found discovering trackables at events a bit bazar ( but each to their own I guess )let alone logging a trackable you haven't seen. ... I think I'I just stick to finding boxes
Same here and glad I now longer bother with trackables bar one that is still out and about. The game seems to be loosing its fun factor with this sort of thing (and micros for the sake of cache numbers ...).

Andrew

belken

Post by belken » 15 May 13 1:11 pm

Aushiker wrote:
oakydog wrote:I've always found discovering trackables at events a bit bazar ( but each to their own I guess )let alone logging a trackable you haven't seen. ... I think I'I just stick to finding boxes
Same here and glad I now longer bother with trackables bar one that is still out and about. The game seems to be loosing its fun factor with this sort of thing (and micros for the sake of cache numbers ...).

Andrew

Are you back in the game Andrew or just visiting?

Aushiker
Twitter: Aushiker

Post by Aushiker » 15 May 13 2:16 pm

belken wrote:Are you back in the game Andrew or just visiting?
Getting back in. Are you still playing?

Andrew