How many do I need to find to use a generic log

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
calumphing_four
1600 or more caches found
1600 or more caches found

How many do I need to find to use a generic log

Post by calumphing_four » 29 April 13 12:00 am

I was wondering how many caches I need to find in a day before I could just use a generic log :?:
Is 4 sufficient :?:
Cheers 8)

Zalgariath
5500 or more caches found

Re: How many do I need to find to use a generic log

Post by Zalgariath » 29 April 13 12:02 am

I see generic logs on single finds ;) Id be pushing 30 or 40 before I cut and paste anything more than a template

McPhan
10000 or more caches found

Post by McPhan » 29 April 13 6:51 am

If they're not in a series, and particularly if they're not by the same hider, never.

Each hider has taken time to hide the cache so surely a few words about that cache is the least you can do to repay their efforts (regardless of it being a micro etc etc etc).

I try never to use generic logs at all, which was very tough when logging the Wandering Heroes series.

jusojara
3000 or more caches found
3000 or more caches found

Post by jusojara » 29 April 13 10:06 am

When I compelted one of the powertrails here I used a part generic log for the section of the 'story' as to who I was with and the day etc as that remained the same. I then added to each one a cache specific componant as well.

Team Pathfinder
6000 or more caches found
6000 or more caches found

Post by Team Pathfinder » 29 April 13 10:48 am

I am with Zalgariath and McPhan - I normally like to write readable logs, epics as Ian calls them. I always appreciate a decent log on my caches especallyt the ones that have been very tricky to place. The exception for me is when we find a cache that appears to have been chucked nowhere in particular because the owner happened to have an old mint tin or nano, I do try to say some nice but sometimes what can you say.

When we did the SA Wandering Heroes trail I must admit I had a standard log which I adapted when something happened at a particular cache or when I knew the team the cache was to honor.

I am one of the "old school" of geocachers who believes a cache should be placed to share somewhere or something with other cachers and the log is meant to reflect how the finder enjoys the cache. :)

LouiseAnn
4500 or more caches found
4500 or more caches found

Post by LouiseAnn » 29 April 13 4:27 pm

I like my log to reflect the effort that seems to have gone into hiding the cache. The more caches I have hidden, the stronger I feel about this. I try not to use the same log, no matter the number of caches. I try to customise even if it is a very similar log for use on 'series'. I also feel my log is a reflection on me, so hence I try to make mine interesting both to the hider and future hunters.

Agent Basil
2500 or more caches found

Post by Agent Basil » 29 April 13 6:50 pm

McPhan wrote:If they're not in a series, and particularly if they're not by the same hider, never.

Each hider has taken time to hide the cache so surely a few words about that cache is the least you can do to repay their efforts (regardless of it being a micro etc etc etc).

I try never to use generic logs at all, which was very tough when logging the Wandering Heroes series.
I'm with ol wotshisname! :D

McPhan

Post by McPhan » 29 April 13 6:58 pm

Agent Basil wrote:I'm with ol wotshisname! :D
I hope there's not meant to be a T in there.....

Agent Basil

Post by Agent Basil » 29 April 13 7:05 pm

Be quiet or I shall taunt you a second time!

Richary
8000 or more caches found
8000 or more caches found

Post by Richary » 29 April 13 8:41 pm

Given my highest daily find count of traditional caches is 25, I have yet to need to resort to a cut and paste log. The exception has been in the GCA moveable races where I might have found 10 racers all sitting in the one spot (or 45 at an event), it's a bit hard to write something original unless one of the racers was particularly memorable.

I am hoping to do the Windsor bike ride powertrail in the next few weeks, it will be interesting to see how creative I can be logging 60 odd ride bys. I will have to take notes as I go to remind me of anything special about each one. Yes I know I could log them one by one on the phone as I go, but I hate typing long messages on the iPhone keypad - the fingers are too fat!

If I get around to doing the Oz Mega 2014 "sign" I might well have to resort to something generic though!

Bewilderbeest
2000 or more caches found
2000 or more caches found

Post by Bewilderbeest » 30 April 13 7:18 am

Maybe you should try Munzees - no need to write anything at all...

spatialriq

Post by spatialriq » 30 April 13 4:24 pm

Bewilderbeest wrote:Maybe you should try Munzees - no need to write anything at all...
I've been munzee-ing for almost 2 years. I used to put comments in each time I scanned one, although as they are now everywhere I rarely write anything, especially when it comes to munzee powertrails!

Bundyrumandcoke
5000 or more caches found
5000 or more caches found

Post by Bundyrumandcoke » 30 April 13 7:10 pm

I have used generic cut and paste logs in the past, but only when we are travelling and thats when we find our most finds. The cut and paste usually only includes Find number of the day, find number of the trip, Dayy of the trip, and time. After that, most caches get a specific log in regards to that particular cache. Sometimes that can be difficult, as we often find 20, 30, 40 or more caches in a day, and usually travelling for a couple of weeks or more.

2max
1 or more caches found
1 or more caches found

Post by 2max » 10 May 13 2:19 pm

LouiseAnn wrote:I like my log to reflect the effort that seems to have gone into hiding the cache. The more caches I have hidden, the stronger I feel about this. I try not to use the same log, no matter the number of caches. I try to customise even if it is a very similar log for use on 'series'. I also feel my log is a reflection on me, so hence I try to make mine interesting both to the hider and future hunters.
Completely agree. I also love reading through old logs to see what other cachers have said about the area and their adventures, so it's not always just the CO who finds it interesting. We always customise our logs, but then we haven't done any powertrails yet! :P