Event stacking

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
The Spindoctors

Event stacking

Post by The Spindoctors » 28 April 13 8:54 pm

I've noticed this is becoming a growing trend over the past year or so. From Cameron's Corner to Sydney it's spreading like micros, 'powertrails' and gonorrhea. Must be about the numbers.

akkatracker
600 or more caches found
600 or more caches found

Re: Event stacking

Post by akkatracker » 28 April 13 9:34 pm

Are you talking about multiple events at one park within a day? Like a CITO, then a FlashMob and a normal Event.

I was thinking the same thing. Only one event should be necessary, afterpartys and the like should all just be an addon to the event.

Laighside Legends
10000 or more caches found
10000 or more caches found

Post by Laighside Legends » 28 April 13 10:44 pm

If you'er referring to what akkatracker is talking about I wouldn't call it a "growing trend". It's been happening at a reasonably consistent rate for years. The 4WDers seem to be the main culprits...
Also, the number of events is growing (we're up to about 1 unique event per week here in SA) and I guess if the total number of events go up than the number of "stacked" events is also going to go up...

Zalgariath
5500 or more caches found

Post by Zalgariath » 29 April 13 12:07 am

I noticed it too. I thought 2 events were not meant to be published within a certain distance of each other on the same day?

spatialriq

Post by spatialriq » 29 April 13 1:01 am

You could always move to WA ... we're lucky to have 6-7 events each year!

Big Matt and Shell
6500 or more caches found
Twitter: BigMattandShell

Post by Big Matt and Shell » 29 April 13 8:36 am

I think more and more people need a smiley at every turn...

This is my pet peeve of flash mobs. To me an event is designed to get people together to have a chat and catch up not a rushed 15 minute run around and disperse. People still want to catch up and that is driving the secondary events in my view.

Apty
1350 or more caches found
1350 or more caches found
Twitter: Apty

Post by Apty » 29 April 13 6:07 pm

I always thought the whole idea of the geocaching community is about "you do it your way, I'll do it mine."

No one is forcing anyone to go to events, and at the end of the day it's not hurting anybody. "Live and let live".

Richary
8000 or more caches found
8000 or more caches found

Post by Richary » 29 April 13 8:44 pm

I wonder if apart from the "kudos" of having hosted more events, the hope is that if people can get 3 smileys for the price of 1 then more people will turn up?

As for "kudos", that's you looking at your own stats as nobody else gives a ....

fluffyfish
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!

Post by fluffyfish » 29 April 13 11:32 pm

Apty wrote:I always thought the whole idea of the geocaching community is about "you do it your way, I'll do it mine."

No one is forcing anyone to go to events, and at the end of the day it's not hurting anybody. "Live and let live".
here, here

=D>

The Machman

Post by The Machman » 30 April 13 1:02 am

The last time I went to a "flash mob".. i still spent a good few hours caching with all the attendees after the event!!!
They're pretty legitimate in my book.

Big Matt and Shell
Twitter: BigMattandShell

Post by Big Matt and Shell » 30 April 13 1:48 pm

The Machman wrote:The last time I went to a "flash mob".. i still spent a good few hours caching with all the attendees after the event!!!
They're pretty legitimate in my book.
I've done the same but there was no post flash mob event in those days. These days it seems that people want to host two different events.

noikmeister
5000 or more caches found
5000 or more caches found

Post by noikmeister » 30 April 13 8:54 pm

Apty wrote:I always thought the whole idea of the geocaching community is about "you do it your way, I'll do it mine."

Why is it that when someone on a forum speaks out about a pet peeve that this comes up? If you truly believe it then this post is self defeating.

Hang on, I'm making a post telling someone to get over it about telling someone else to get over it. I think my head just exploded! :oops:

Norkmeister

Post by Norkmeister » 02 May 13 10:46 am

noikmeister wrote:

Why is it that when someone on a forum speaks out about a pet peeve that this comes up? If you truly believe it then this post is self defeating.

Hang on, I'm making a post telling someone to get over it about telling someone else to get over it. I think my head just exploded! :oops:
Then again - what you should do - is get over posting post about getting over getting over it!!!
<--- Head explodes

Yurt
4500 or more caches found
4500 or more caches found

Post by Yurt » 02 May 13 10:51 am

Norkmeister wrote:
noikmeister wrote:

Then again - what you should do - is get over posting post about getting over getting over it!!!
<--- Head explodes

Is this a sock puppet or an alter ego?

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 02 May 13 11:08 am

Norkmeister vs. noikmeister

Hang on. That's not right. I can see Norkmeister is a sock and who it belongs to. Norkmeister is going to be deleted. We don't want confusion about who Norkmeister is vs who noikmeister is, especially when noikmeister used to be Norkmeister.