How to list a new trig?

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
jonnosan+2

How to list a new trig?

Post by jonnosan+2 » 29 March 13 12:04 pm

Howdy
Is there an particular process or etiquette for listing a new trig point (compared to listing any other new type of cache)? I visited a spot yesterday that was marked on the topo map as a trig (called Wangendarry, in the Nattai national park) and when I climbed the hill to check it out, there was a big cairn, with a collapsed mast & vanes, so I am sure it was a real trig point. But I don't know what it's serial number is.

Can I just make a new listing myself?

caughtatwork

Re: How to list a new trig?

Post by caughtatwork » 29 March 13 12:15 pm

If it's not already listed, then yes, you can list it yourself.
Create a new cache http://geocaching.com.au/my/cache/new
Select TrigPoint in the Cache Type.
Will go live as soon as you save (will auto publish).
Tada :-)

Tuena
6500 or more caches found
6500 or more caches found

Post by Tuena » 29 March 13 12:19 pm

I've added a dozen or so & just copied & pasted the text from one of the original listings, see TP5346 - Little Forest Trig.

The last paragraph is mine & is an explanation of the area, what you see etc.

The Trig owner is Geocaching Australia rather than your own name.

Don't worry about the trig number, someone out there checks occasionally & adds this or updates the name if needed. I saw one on a farm near Glen Innes which wasn't listed so added it with a made up name which was corrected soon after.

Sounds like a great trig.

GammaPiSigma
450 or more roots tripped over

Post by GammaPiSigma » 29 March 13 1:23 pm

If you want to check the trig name and number go here:
http://maps.six.nsw.gov.au/
Click on the "Map Contents" button (top right) and select "Survey Marks" (survey markers only appear at closer zoom levels). Scroll and zoom the map to the trigs location and it should show up.

Hope this helps,
Michael.

GammaPiSigma

Post by GammaPiSigma » 29 March 13 2:06 pm

I've just found the Wanganderry TS on the SIX site. It appears to be on private property*. Wanganderry Rd is a public right of way used by people who have properties down in the Wollondilly River valley (like this one: 311 Burnt Flat Creek) and visitors to Nattai NP.

I've been out there before but I can't remember seeing the TP. There are a couple of spots along Wanganderry Rd that give great views of the area, it is nice drive except for all the gates and dumb cows that wont get out of the way. A few years back I remember talking to some bush walkers who have more experience in this area than I do and they told me that years ago the farm owner allowed people to park and traverse his property to access the area. Apparently this changed abruptly and no one I have spoken to is sure why. Not sure how happy the property owner would be with people wandering around his property given the above.

Can you see the trig from the road or do you have to actually leave the roadway and traverse up to the trig? If the TP (or the remains of the TP) can be seen and photographed from the road that would good as no crossing of the farmer's property would be required.

* On the SIX site click on the "Map Contents" button, turn "Lot Labels" and "Lot Boundaries" on and you can see the road easement and the farm boundaries.

Cheers,
Michael.

P.S. Were you out there doing the Bonnum Pic walk?

jonnosan+2

Post by jonnosan+2 » 30 March 13 1:30 pm

GammaPiSigma wrote: Can you see the trig from the road or do you have to actually leave the roadway and traverse up to the trig? If the TP (or the remains of the TP) can be seen and photographed from the road that would good as no crossing of the farmer's property would be required.
The trig is a little under 100m from the road. I could see the cairn when I parked the car.
GammaPiSigma wrote:
P.S. Were you out there doing the Bonnum Pic walk?
Indeed. The section out near the cliff line was fantastic.

GammaPiSigma

Post by GammaPiSigma » 30 March 13 3:26 pm

Well if you can see it from the road and you can get a photo from the road then go ahead and list it. \:D/

Just a suggestion, you might want to add to the cache description that the TP is on private property and photos should be taken from the road or from outside of the farm fence only.

I'm watching the Bonnum Pic cache and the logs I've read so far from your trip have have been very entertaining. I look forward to reading your log. By the sounds of it the NPWS route is really overgrown. Not surprising as most people I've spoken to walk out to the Pic the old way which is apparently easier (I've not done the new route only the old so I can't give a first hand comparison). There is an Aboriginal water well along the old track and a Lyrebird presentation mound that is within 1m of the track.

Regards,
Michael.

jonnosan+2

Post by jonnosan+2 » 01 April 13 6:09 pm