Two million caches

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
Yurt
4500 or more caches found

Re: Two million caches

Post by Yurt » 03 March 13 6:46 pm

I hope the message that the 2 millionth has been placed gets through to some young local cachers. They have placed a plethora of caches of sometimes dubious quality (and often worse coords) in the past couple of weeks with the stated aim of becoming number 2 million.

fdsawq

Post by fdsawq » 03 March 13 7:02 pm

Their quality wasn't great even before the lure of #2M, so I wouldn't hold much hope (colourful Forest?) ... I am glad that they didn't "win", as they wouldn't have been a great advert for local caching.

I am curious whether the selection was rigged, as Overwatch is (a) a cache with a view, (b) far away from most people (so a valid wannago target), (c) by a newbie. Pity about (d) incorrect co-ords.

Richary
8000 or more caches found
8000 or more caches found

Post by Richary » 03 March 13 10:20 pm

Unfortunately the plethora of local caches that have been placed by a young team are close to home. However having attempted to find a few of them before and finding myself almost in someone's front yard I have elected to ignore them all. Given the coords often seem to be off, or you are somewhere where the neighbours look at you suspiciously I have decided they aren't the sort of cache I want to find, as opposed to a couple of Rainbow Spirit's I found today near North Rocks that were inventive and fun. There are enough to choose from.

I just hope other new cachers don't come along and think they are the norm and continue the style. I might have to place a couple of ammo tins in the area to show people what caching should be about.

Bunya

Post by Bunya » 05 March 13 1:09 pm

I just noticed a cacher has posted a "Needs Archived" log on Overwatch.
http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx ... c55123fcee
Not the kindest log to place!
Though I agree with those who have compared the 1500+ notes to spam.
Not to mention all the TBs/geocoins that have "visited" the cache.

noikmeister
5000 or more caches found
5000 or more caches found

Post by noikmeister » 05 March 13 6:26 pm

Bunya wrote:I just noticed a cacher has posted a "Needs Archived" log on Overwatch.
http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx ... c55123fcee
Not the kindest log to place!
Though I agree with those who have compared the 1500+ notes to spam.
Not to mention all the TBs/geocoins that have "visited" the cache.
Agreed. They are spam. It was giving me the irrits having to sort through them all to find the DNF log only to find it was someone who should have posted a Note.

theUMP

Post by theUMP » 05 March 13 10:09 pm

I deleted the NA log and contacted the placer telling them why. I trust Ministro will ignore it as well.

I'm very tempted to do a bulk delete on these notes, especially the ones with TB numbers in them. There seem to be a lot of people who really don't get the "Go outside and find things" basis of geocaching and persist in doing things that only exist as bits, not atoms!

LouiseAnn

Post by LouiseAnn » 05 March 13 10:24 pm

theUMP wrote: I'm very tempted to do a bulk delete on these notes, especially the ones with TB numbers in them.
Dare you!! ;)

belken

Post by belken » 05 March 13 10:50 pm

theUMP wrote:I deleted the NA log and contacted the placer telling them why. I trust Ministro will ignore it as well.

I'm very tempted to do a bulk delete on these notes, especially the ones with TB numbers in them. There seem to be a lot of people who really don't get the "Go outside and find things" basis of geocaching and persist in doing things that only exist as bits, not atoms!
A while back Travel Bugs and coins were locked when the owners sent out lists for virtual logging. I would hope Grounspeak in its wisdom takes every TB number from the cache page and locks them. That may slow some of it down.

FelixII
10000 or more caches found
10000 or more caches found

Post by FelixII » 06 March 13 1:51 am

I agree what's with the rubbish on the cache page. If it was my cache I would be banging my head against the wall. My phone would be out of data and the desktop not far behind.

Not a 'great' introduction to new cachers that's for sure. #-o

so glad it's not my cache. Now on a side note, did I mention that we are hosting an event in July - Oh that's spam too! oops. :-"

Chrisval7
600 or more caches found
600 or more caches found

Post by Chrisval7 » 06 March 13 3:31 pm

I would hate to be that poor cache owner, with the messages which must be overloading his in tray.

We placed a new cache a few days ago (pre-announcement of the 2mill'th cache), not even thinking about the issue. Luckily (sort of) the reviewer questioned our co-ordinates, saying he thought they looked as though they were in a paddock. It did appear that way but in fact our co-ords were spot on when we double checked.

Anyway, the delay meant we avoided the sort of attention the Alice Springs cache is now set to receive.

tronador
6500 or more caches found

Post by tronador » 06 March 13 9:59 pm

Please delete all those notes, so annoying.

Captain Terror
7000 or more caches found
7000 or more caches found

Post by Captain Terror » 09 March 13 2:31 am

theUMP wrote:I'm very tempted to do a bulk delete on these notes, especially the ones with TB numbers in them. There seem to be a lot of people who really don't get the "Go outside and find things" basis of geocaching and persist in doing things that only exist as bits, not atoms!
Do it! It is very much spam and most of the notes I've read are completely irrelevant and spruiking something entirely different.

Skippy

Post by Skippy » 27 March 13 12:10 am

:D :D :D :D :D Yippee, SEMIK and I got Silver at this cache this morning :D :D :D :D
I don't think the 2 previous finders are genuine, either are the 50,000 TB's and Geocoins that have visited this cache. :? But some people play this game differently :roll: :-&

And I will upload photo's to prove it and not just a TFTC log

tronador

Post by tronador » 27 March 13 6:48 am

Are the previous two fibers finders names in the log book?

Skippy

Post by Skippy » 27 March 13 6:57 am

tronador wrote:Are the previous two fibers finders names in the log book?

Nope , we took photos to prove it and went through the whole log book , I still can't figure the arm chair geocoin drop .