Report GCA Site issues here [closed]

Discussion about the Geocaching Australia web site
Grahame Cookie
5000 or more caches found

Re: Report GCA Site issues here -"Archived" caches Active!

Post by Grahame Cookie » 27 February 13 12:57 pm

On doing a search for caches near "The Big Doughnut", at the exit to Port Macquarie off the Pacific Highway, I noticed that the 3 x 3 Challenge, and 3 x 3 x 3 Challenge caches are not listed.
I'm wondering why a few of my caches are listed as 'DEAD' when they active on Groundspeak.
Other caches are that are showing as archived, but shouldn't be are:
South Bro 101 - Size matters, GC3WMBP
South Bro 102, GC3WMBQ
South Bro 103, GC3WMBR
South Bro 104, GC3WMBT
South Bro 105 (Difficult Distance Ed), GC3WMBV
It's … My Dear … 'Tailor', GC3VCD8
NSW Schoolies Challenge, GC3VCD9,
with codes for the other two caches being, GC3WMB8, and GC3WMBA
It seems that it has been like that for a while. Is there a particular reason?!?
All the other caches listed as Archived, are archived, why have these (above) been placed there, when there been NO note placed by Reviewer, or any requests for Maintenance etc that may have triggered something! Can you please explain, or at least rectify!
Yours sincerely

Grahame Cookie
(02) 6553 1436
0416 067 863
gwcooke@y7mail.com

caughtatwork

Re: Report GCA Site issues here

Post by caughtatwork » 27 February 13 1:52 pm

It's likely the daily feed has dropped out for that area. NSW is a huge state to keep up to date.
If we don't get cache details for 10 days, we assume it's archived. Not sure why they aren't coming through.

http://geocaching.com.au/cache/GC3WMBP
Look at the right hand side.
Click set as available. That will unarchive them.

You can do that for any cache. The unarchive was put there to cover this reason.

Grahame Cookie

Post by Grahame Cookie » 27 February 13 2:09 pm

THANX that worked. ('Archived' caches back online 'in GCA')

Richary
8000 or more caches found

Post by Richary » 14 March 13 7:38 pm

A very very minor one, clicking on "Mark forums read" on the top right of a forum page doesn't achieve anything unless I am at the "Board Index" level. For example if I am in one of the state forums, decide I don't want to read any of the new messages there I click on that, but the forums with new posts remain showing highlighted even after a refresh or going up a level.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 14 March 13 7:43 pm

That's the way of the forum. You need to do it at the forum level to work. Sorry, we don't really want to hack the boards.

LouiseAnn
4500 or more caches found
4500 or more caches found

Post by LouiseAnn » 14 March 13 8:45 pm

Bummer, that is something that has bothered be for ages too.
Oh well.

Richary

Post by Richary » 14 March 13 9:10 pm

Fair enough, I know that forum software has it's own limitations. Actually I thought the button should really read "Mark topics read" if it did what I was expecting it to, mark all topics in that particular sub-forum as read.

McPhan
10000 or more caches found

Post by McPhan » 20 March 13 11:41 am

This should probably be under its own thread of "Report Cacher issues here" but not sure where the issue is (most likely pebcak).

For the year and a bit I've been getting duplicates turn up in my stats. The worst offender is Bill the Bullocky for which I've probably deleted the duplicate (blank) log a number of times. Checking in today I find I now have 21 duplicates and all from the same period. I think it was around the time I either stuffed up importing/logging from GSAK.

I've rechecked GSAK and there's no duplicates found (using Fcount in GSAK) and GC shows no duplicates.

Anyway they keep coming back and I'm wondering if there is a way to stop this happening.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 20 March 13 11:49 am

McPhan wrote:This should probably be under its own thread of "Report Cacher issues here" but not sure where the issue is (most likely pebcak).

For the year and a bit I've been getting duplicates turn up in my stats. The worst offender is Bill the Bullocky for which I've probably deleted the duplicate (blank) log a number of times. Checking in today I find I now have 21 duplicates and all from the same period. I think it was around the time I either stuffed up importing/logging from GSAK.

I've rechecked GSAK and there's no duplicates found (using Fcount in GSAK) and GC shows no duplicates.

Anyway they keep coming back and I'm wondering if there is a way to stop this happening.
The two logs on Bill the Bullocky.
2011-07-10 22:37:18 0000-00-00 00:00:00 F Groundspeak
This was imported in 2011 based on the daily feeds from Groundspeak.

2013-02-26 23:28:43 0000-00-00 00:00:00 F Crew 153
This was imported not long ago by Crew 153, presumably from a huge list in his GSAK database of logs. Max's log list contains incorrect logs. As he continues to import them, they keep reappearing. We like Max's imports as they keep Queensland up to date, but we may need to get Max to see if he can "clear out" logs that are no longer at Groundspeak, so they are not continually imported.

McPhan

Post by McPhan » 20 March 13 12:05 pm

Thank c@w, just relieved I wasn't repeating something stupid.

crew 153
9000 or more caches found
9000 or more caches found

Post by crew 153 » 20 March 13 8:44 pm

It looks like I might have to look at ways to identify duplicate finds from my GSAK database and then check them against the GC website.

WanderingAus

Post by WanderingAus » 20 March 13 9:04 pm

I periodically have the same thing happen, have to check every couple of weeks. Seems to usually be a cache where I have edited my found log.

GCHTVX Pathway to the sea and hills in south Australia has re-surfaced in my duplicates at least half a dozen times since 2009. It only affects my total finds statistic, which I do keep an eye on.

andiamo
100 or more tracks walked
100 or more tracks walked

Post by andiamo » 20 March 13 10:08 pm

There is always this GSAK macro to check for multi-finds: http://gsak.net/board/index.php?showtop ... entry69986

Not sure how you can clean the info though before importing the info to the GCA site.

Grahame Cookie

Post by Grahame Cookie » 21 March 13 10:06 am

So far I have changed those 8 (EIGHT) caches to available four times, and next thing I know they are back to Archived !!!
WHY?

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 21 March 13 10:36 am

Grahame Cookie wrote:So far I have changed those 8 (EIGHT) caches to available four times, and next thing I know they are back to Archived !!!
WHY?
caughtatwork wrote:It's likely the daily feed has dropped out for that area. NSW is a huge state to keep up to date.
If we don't get cache details for 10 days, we assume it's archived. Not sure why they aren't coming through.
The WHY? has been answered.

Currently CraigRat and I are the daily Faeries. We fork out a non-trivial amount of money to try and keep the feed of geocaches as up to date as possible. Sometimes things get missed.

As a premium member, you can help by regularly importing your GPX files which will keep the status from changing. It won't reset the status unless it comes via the daily Faerie feed, but with your help you can help them not going into that status in the first place.