Is it just me?

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
Big Matt and Shell
6500 or more caches found
Twitter: BigMattandShell

Re: Is it just me?

Post by Big Matt and Shell » 04 February 13 10:42 pm

Play nice boys and girls...

How about you go out and find a cache :mrgreen:

mtbikeroz
5000 or more caches found

Post by mtbikeroz » 05 February 13 4:47 pm

Bronnie_1990 wrote:
mtbikeroz wrote:
noikmeister wrote:
mtbikeroz wrote:Rapidlywild’s Fore!gotten to Chalk up Bruce and Basil.

That makes 5. :D
And you forgot Mosaic

And you missed Betchern0t, crazeecat, Wombat & Tankengine!

Have i missed any :D

Crazeecat isn't mentioned in the name... ..and its vombatus, not wombat god dammit...

Tis so Crazeecat's Casey Cache.

I retract the Wombat, oops, Vombatus, sorry, in all the humourous excitement, I just typed what looked like a Wombat...

Bronnie_1990
1000 or more caches found
1000 or more caches found
Twitter: bronnie1990

Post by Bronnie_1990 » 05 February 13 11:38 pm

mtbikeroz wrote:
Bronnie_1990 wrote:
mtbikeroz wrote:
noikmeister wrote:
mtbikeroz wrote:Rapidlywild’s Fore!gotten to Chalk up Bruce and Basil.

That makes 5. :D
And you forgot Mosaic

And you missed Betchern0t, crazeecat, Wombat & Tankengine!

Have i missed any :D

Crazeecat isn't mentioned in the name... ..and its vombatus, not wombat god dammit...

Tis so Crazeecat's Casey Cache.

I retract the Wombat, oops, Vombatus, sorry, in all the humourous excitement, I just typed what looked like a Wombat...
Ooooh...I didn't get the notification about that one! My bad.

McPhan
10000 or more caches found
10000 or more caches found

Post by McPhan » 10 February 13 6:39 pm

I guess the OP will be offended by the latest published caches.....

noikmeister

Post by noikmeister » 10 February 13 6:57 pm

McPhan wrote:I guess the OP will be offended by the latest published caches.....
Never offended. That is personal. Just a big sigh. At least the colon is a bit of variety on the 's

Rapidlywild
3000 or more caches found

Post by Rapidlywild » 10 February 13 11:53 pm

How did I know this post would be active after todays new published caches.

Seriously, the name of the cache is the CO's personal choice. If you dont like it, deal with it and quick sooking about it. This hobby is not based on the name, its on the find.

Sorry but this is just pathetic childs play.........

toy hunters

Post by toy hunters » 11 February 13 7:46 am

Rapidlywild wrote:How did I know this post would be active after todays new published caches.

Seriously, the name of the cache is the CO's personal choice. If you dont like it, deal with it and quick sooking about it. This hobby is not based on the name, its on the find.

I certainly agree. It doesn't matter what the cache is called, it's the cache find that matters. I think we should just accept how different cachers want to play the game, and continue caching like normal.

PS. Thanks for the new ones Rapidlywild, looking forward to getting the rest of them...

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 11 February 13 8:23 am

Rapidlywild wrote:How did I know this post would be active after todays new published caches.

Are we talking about your new caches, starting with Guard? They don't start with your caching name, so the OP does apply, where there was frustration with the name of the cache starting with the hiders name.

Guard is short enough that it wouldn't push the unique component of the cache name off the end of the short text on my GPS. i.e. I can see, electronically in the field, that cache is coming up next. If they all started "Changing of the guards cache number" then the number, that would be annoying as my GPS wouldn't show which cache I am currently at.

As it is, I think your cache names so far don't fit the original premise of the OP.

Rapidlywild

Post by Rapidlywild » 11 February 13 8:48 am

caughtatwork wrote:

Are we talking about your new caches, starting with Guard? They don't start with your caching name, so the OP does apply, where there was frustration with the name of the cache starting with the hiders name.

Guard is short enough that it wouldn't push the unique component of the cache name off the end of the short text on my GPS. i.e. I can see, electronically in the field, that cache is coming up next. If they all started "Changing of the guards cache number" then the number, that would be annoying as my GPS wouldn't show which cache I am currently at.

As it is, I think your cache names so far don't fit the original premise of the OP.
Hi there caught. Originally when I released the first lot of this series they were all named "rapidlywild's guard" however due to this thread I renamed them to try and stop the complaints. Seems that still didn't matter and the complaints continued.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 11 February 13 10:13 am

Oh, gotcha. I didn't see the previous name change, I only saw what was there now :oops:

Just a question. Do you use a paperless GPS? i.e. One where you can see the name of the cache. Do you fudge the output from GSAK (or similar) to get a unique name? Or do you see a number of caches listed that all appear to be the same name because the name get's cut off after 25 or so characters? We could be seeing different things.

tronador

Post by tronador » 11 February 13 1:40 pm

I think the frustrations may be caused not because the caches all begin with the cache owners name but because the caches all have the same word at the beginning of the name. This is no different to giving them the cache owners name. It creates ambiguity in the GPS, particularly those older or more simpler type GPS that have a limited characters to display. The GPS which have the peprless geocaching function are not affected as such because of their ability to display the name or more of it. I know when I used the yellow etrex a while ago now, any cache that had the same characters were just over written ,so it looked like one cache not a series. May I suggest that repetitive words are put on the end of the name rather than the beginning.

LouiseAnn
4500 or more caches found
4500 or more caches found

Post by LouiseAnn » 11 February 13 2:28 pm

I have just returned from New Zealand where I completed the Zealandia Power Trail Cache series, which is 30 caches, that as far as my Garmin Oregon was concerned, all had the same name of the screen. Luckily I realised this before heading out, and re-named them all in GSAK before I left. Bit annoying. Mostly good caches though