Your geocaching goals 2013

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
noikmeister
5000 or more caches found

Re: Your geocaching goals 2013

Post by noikmeister » 28 January 13 10:05 pm

LouiseAnn wrote:
Except for the obvious coolness of finding such an unloved cache, from memory for the challenge, they have to be Victorian....
It doesn't say on the cache page.

Yurt
4500 or more caches found

Post by Yurt » 28 January 13 10:58 pm

blossom* wrote:
Yurt wrote:Someone better publish a NSW/ACT one then!
Go for it Yurt \:D/
But then I can't find it! :cry:

(I do have an idea for a different challenge cache though...)

Zalgariath
5500 or more caches found
5500 or more caches found

Post by Zalgariath » 29 January 13 11:23 pm

Interesting Concept, and a different way of doing it. The NSW Association may look into it ;)

cap flint
100 or more tracks walked

Post by cap flint » 30 January 13 7:47 am

sounds great, I love unloved caches :)

Yurt

Post by Yurt » 30 January 13 10:29 am

Half the time you don't know if they are unloved or muggled as so many don't seem to log DNFs. This isn't true of the more remote caches but when there's one near other caches that are regularly found and then this one stops being found you suspect something is up. I am thinking of my own caches here.

cap flint

Post by cap flint » 30 January 13 11:13 am

Good point. And some caches are unloved even by their CO's as there are bunch of DNF's but no cache checks. Both scenarios make the challenge harder. Still, it would be interesting..

noikmeister

Post by noikmeister » 30 January 13 8:24 pm

Yurt wrote:Half the time you don't know if they are unloved or muggled as so many don't seem to log DNFs. This isn't true of the more remote caches but when there's one near other caches that are regularly found and then this one stops being found you suspect something is up. I am thinking of my own caches here.
When I went back through my caches I must have found about 10 unfound between 6-9 months because of DNFs and cache maintenance taking a long time and I just happened to be the next finder after it was maintained.

Marcus Vitruvius

Post by Marcus Vitruvius » 31 January 13 6:47 am

Zalgariath wrote:Interesting Concept, and a different way of doing it. The NSW Association may look into it ;)
The NSW association is already looking into it :D
Yurt wrote:Half the time you don't know if they are unloved or muggled as so many don't seem to log DNFs. This isn't true of the more remote caches but when there's one near other caches that are regularly found and then this one stops being found you suspect something is up. I am thinking of my own caches here.
What I generally do is take a look at the location of where the cache is...and of course the previous logs to determine what the likelihood of the cache still being there. In he case of 'Murrumbo Jumbo' (GCJY1R)...this one sat unfound for almost 3 years...and is 400m or so away from another cache on a main road that is found quite frequently...but since there had not been a DNF or anything on it...and no fires in that area...and it was an ammo tin...there was no reason to suspect that it wasn't there. Much like 'Top' (GCJGPN)...a cache that sat unfound for almost 5 years...and you can drive to within 300m or it...

GJMMelb
3000 or more caches found

Post by GJMMelb » 03 February 13 10:04 pm

noikmeister wrote:
GJMMelb wrote: Wow to both of you!! =D> =D> =D> \:D/ \:D/ \:D/
Living in suburban Melbourne means that most caches don't get anywhere near the 6 months unloved so we have to go searching much further afield now if we want to add onto our total :-)
All of my big ones (2 years+) have been remote bush caches. In some cases I have been 2TF on a cache which has lain unfound for 3 years.

In Canberra there is only a small population of bush cachers and the majority those people had found a lot of them. So it was easy for me to pick them off 1-by-1. I've been pursuing this side-hobby of actively pursuing the "most unloved" cache in the ACT since 2009. The current "most unloved" hasn't been found in 1,500+ days. So if you want to boost your total then pull on your walking boots and come for a trip to Canberra.
Ohhhh Gary goes up to Canberra for work every now and then ... :-)
But somehow me thinks this isnt one to do in a business suit lolol!!

TwoDrews
400 or more spectacular views seen
400 or more spectacular views seen
Twitter: _macca_

Post by TwoDrews » 05 February 13 9:40 pm

To get this thread back on track... :roll:

1. Finish P366 (got 60 something days to go).
2. Get to 1500 GC finds.
3. Do more GCA caches.
4. Find less nano's and eclipse tins.
5. Find more epic multi's and night caches.
6. Hide more epic multi's and start making night caches.

Yurt

Post by Yurt » 06 February 13 3:38 pm

It's only the first week of Feb but I've already:

1. hit 50 FTFs
2. completed 100 days straight caching
3. completed 100 multis
4. placed one of the caches I've been planning for ages

Looks good but I might look at some more goals like 150 unknown/mysteries.

Rainbow Spirit
600 or more caches found
600 or more caches found

Post by Rainbow Spirit » 11 March 13 9:20 am

1/ Hide some more interesting cache containers.

2/ Hide a 5/5

3/ Find my 3,000th GC cache. (only 100 to go!)

4/ Try to keep all my hides up to date!

ClockworkLemon
1 or more caches found
1 or more caches found

Post by ClockworkLemon » 11 March 13 10:23 am

My biggest goal is to be more consistent with my caching. Up until now I've had a few big bursts of enthusiasm, followed by months of not caching. I'd like that to change this year, and I've started by seeing what I can get my longest caching streak to. I've currently managed 4 days, and I'm looking good to be able to grab at least one each day this week.

I think I need some more realistic goals, though:
1) Find at least one cache a week
2) Place a few more caches of my own

geo_jas

Post by geo_jas » 21 December 13 8:20 pm

So with the year rapidly drawing to a close, it's nice to look back at what we were hoping to get done.

My goals for this year were to fill in my calendar, reach 1000 GC finds and hide a couple of caches.

I have only December 25 to go on my calendar, I'm currently on 1028 finds and I have two caches in work which hopefully I'll get out this year (our early next year) so I'm happy with that.

How is everyone else doing?

Yurt

Post by Yurt » 21 December 13 10:36 pm

Good to revisit this now:
* hit 100 multis (currently 91 - am surprised I haven't done that yet - shame on me!) done (easily - up to 130 I think - still not enough though
* hit 50 FTFs (currently 48 - not too big a stretch I hope!) done - hit 75 recently. Also got one every month for the year
* find a lot more Earth caches - I never really got them before but have found a couple recently and am enjoying them er... define "a lot" - found a few more at least
* place an Earth cache (will be in a National Park so there's the hoops to jump through yet) got knocked back by NPWS
* fill as many gaps as I can in the Jasmer Challenge - can't get June-September 2000 within Australia though. done - completed all I could in Australia which necessitated diverting our family holiday to Port McDonnell in SA!
* finally get a find for every day of the year! I should have reached that on Xmas day but I accidentally missed a day this year (29 July) so there's a bit of a wait for that one. too easy
* place all the 'gunnadoo' caches I've been telling people about for a long time ahem... I think I did one of these... but the year isn't over!
* archive the ones that have had their day done - a few bit the dust - only micros though!
* complete a 100 day GC streak!! (for the challenge cache) smashed! Hit 366 days in October and stopped
Some work to do and I have to come up with new goals for next year.
In addition to the above I hit 2000 finds and 200 mysteries. Maybe the D/T grid needs to be filled.