Is it just me?

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
noikmeister
5000 or more caches found

Re: Is it just me?

Post by noikmeister » 09 January 13 1:56 pm

From the OP. Take context with your vehemence.
noikmeister wrote:I understand that it is totally none of my business and that I am being petulant

Agent Basil
2500 or more caches found

Post by Agent Basil » 09 January 13 2:44 pm

noikmeister wrote:From the OP. Take context with your vehemence.
noikmeister wrote:I understand that it is totally none of my business and that I am being petulant
And so what ????????? your disclaimer makes absolute no sense. Why post ?

Stand by for my next cache hide !

noikmeister

Post by noikmeister » 09 January 13 3:38 pm

Agent Basil wrote:
noikmeister wrote:From the OP. Take context with your vehemence.
And so what ????????? your disclaimer makes absolute no sense. Why post ?

Stand by for my next cache hide !
To answer your question: I was just trying to find out if anyone else found it annoying.

Things annoy people all the time. Just because someone expresses their annoyance it doesn't mean "and by the way I think you are an idiot for doing it and I don't like you". Just that it annoys me that more and more people are naming their caches that way. It doesn't say anything about what I think of you as a person or attempt to be offensive in any way.

The disclaimer says exactly what Matt said. People can do whatever they want. Plus it says I understand that it is really none of my business. I also acknowledge that my annoyance has no basis in fact or even reasonableness and therefore I apologise if my annoyance make you choose to take offence. That too is out of my control and totally under your control. You choose to be offended. You choose to deride me just for expressing an opinion that is contrary to one of your practices. The disclaimer obviously doesn't do a very good job.

Notice that my annoyance doesn't stop me from doing any of your caches. It doesn't stop me from writing a nice log acknowledging how much I enjoyed the experience, instead of "TFTC". It doesn't stop me from going caching with you on multiple occasions and enjoying your company.

If you really want to get down to it, it doesn't even annoy me that you name your caches that way. What annoys me is the increasing number of people who are doing exactly the same thing. Once again, their business, not mine, but still annoying nonetheless.

So out of all this I got two or three people who agreed for practical reasons and a bunch of people saying that I should be ashamed of myself for expressing annoyance at something trivial.

Agent Basil

Post by Agent Basil » 09 January 13 3:49 pm

Mr Norky, as discussed privately, no offence taken.

However, it reminds me of when I did my counselling training. If someone says during a discussion, "Don't take offence but ............" whatever follows the "but" is going to cause offence. The preclaimer doesn't make a jot of difference!

Now, shut up and give me a hug you big boofhead ! :D

allrounder
3500 or more caches found

Post by allrounder » 09 January 13 4:00 pm

I get disappointed when I see a cache title using alliteration and it isn't one of Tankengine's....

Agent Basil

Post by Agent Basil » 09 January 13 4:07 pm

allrounder wrote:I get disappointed when I see a cache title using alliteration and it isn't one of Tankengine's....
Blooming heck, I hadn't noticed............until now ! =D> =D>

gmj3191
7500 or more caches found
7500 or more caches found

Post by gmj3191 » 09 January 13 4:34 pm

Mr Router wrote:
Big Matt and Shell wrote:At the end of the day cache owners will name their caches what they want to as it's their right.

=D> well said
Well, maybe, but if it was suggested to them a different format (which they hadn't thought about) might be a good idea, they may choose to adopt it.
This might be outside a reviewer's scope, but I would have thought part of the role of a reviewer might be to pass on the wisdom they have gained over the years to less experienced or less thoughtful cachers.
Similarly, I think obvious spelling errors in listings, especially titles, doesn't reflect well on anybody involved in caching, and would it be so bad to ask the cacher if he wants to correct it?

noikmeister

Post by noikmeister » 09 January 13 4:40 pm

Agent Basil wrote:
allrounder wrote:I get disappointed when I see a cache title using alliteration and it isn't one of Tankengine's....
Me either. One day I was chatting with MBO about a newly published cache that I assumed to be a TE one and he said it couldn't be since it wasn't alliterated. I had never noticed.

He is slipping up though. Recently a couple have been alliterated in letter but not in sound. Tsk. Tsk. [-X

FelixII
10000 or more caches found
10000 or more caches found

Post by FelixII » 10 January 13 12:45 am

Mr Router wrote:

Big Matt and Shell wrote:
At the end of the day cache owners will name their caches what they want to as it's their right.

well said

Well, maybe, but if it was suggested to them a different format (which they hadn't thought about) might be a good idea, they may choose to adopt it.
This might be outside a reviewer's scope, but I would have thought part of the role of a reviewer might be to pass on the wisdom they have gained over the years to less experienced or less thoughtful cachers.
Similarly, I think obvious spelling errors in listings, especially titles, doesn't reflect well on anybody involved in caching, and would it be so bad to ask the cacher if he wants to correct it?

+1

But let's all remember it's a game and whilst we personally may get annoyed or let's say bothered it's still a game and we play for ENJOYMENT! \:D/

covert
150 or more caches found
150 or more caches found

Post by covert » 10 January 13 9:19 am

Yep bugs the pants of me to. It is the shame the only solution is 3rd party tools that have to massage the data. Still no solution of Live data based caching.

noikmeister

Post by noikmeister » 10 January 13 9:21 am

covert wrote:Still no solution of Live data based caching.
What do you mean by this? Having your GPS "online"

covert
150 or more caches found
150 or more caches found

Post by covert » 10 January 13 9:36 am

noikmeister wrote:
covert wrote:Still no solution of Live data based caching.
What do you mean by this? Having your GPS "online"
Any of the Apps on Phones, Geocaching, CacheSense, NeoGeo, GACacher, GeocachingForLocus etc.

honeysucker
6500 or more caches found
6500 or more caches found

Post by honeysucker » 10 January 13 10:29 am

As i have put out a large series i hear what you say, that the unique title is lost but this happens so often with any cache of a long name so it really dosnt make that much difference, if your doing a long series your usually just looking at the next cache anyway.

@Leighside you missed one You cant forget the OZ Mega 2014 Series 174 caches

allrounder

Post by allrounder » 10 January 13 1:06 pm

noikmeister wrote:
Agent Basil wrote:
Me either. One day I was chatting with MBO about a newly published cache that I assumed to be a TE one and he said it couldn't be since it wasn't alliterated. I had never noticed.

He is slipping up though. Recently a couple have been alliterated in letter but not in sound. Tsk. Tsk. [-X
perhaps tautogram would be a better description than alliteration? although in some cases it could be both!