Geocaching Research Survey

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
eforehand

Geocaching Research Survey

Post by eforehand » 16 December 12 2:09 pm

Dear Geocaching Community,

Our group at Worcester Polytechnic Institute (WPI) is conducting research on Geocaching. More specifically, we are gathering data on what motivates Geocachers to play the game, based on personal Geocaching experiences.

If you would like to support our efforts by providing your views, please fill out the short survey below. The survey is anonymous, and should only take about five minutes. Your participation will help us to gain a broader understanding of Geocaching motivations.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/vie ... V3JvUUE6MA

We thank you in advance!

Robert W. Lindeman, Amirhossein Farvardin, Elizabeth Forehand
If you have any questions or concerns email us at geocachingsurvey@wpi.edu

Zalgariath
5500 or more caches found

Re: Geocaching Research Survey

Post by Zalgariath » 16 December 12 7:48 pm

Hi Guys, who do you represent and what is the research being used for please?

pjmpjm
6000 or more caches found
6000 or more caches found
Twitter: Booroobin

Re: Geocaching Research Survey -- More Info Needed

Post by pjmpjm » 17 December 12 7:04 pm

eforehand wrote:Dear Geocaching Community,

Our group at Worcester Polytechnic Institute (WPI) is conducting research on Geocaching. More specifically, we are gathering data on what motivates Geocachers to play the game, based on personal Geocaching experiences.

If you would like to support our efforts by providing your views, please fill out the short survey below. The survey is anonymous, and should only take about five minutes. Your participation will help us to gain a broader understanding of Geocaching motivations.

We thank you in advance!

Robert W. Lindeman, Amirhossein Farvardin, Elizabeth Forehand

I agree with Zal. Tell us a little bit more please.

Cheesy pigs
3000 or more caches found
3000 or more caches found

Post by Cheesy pigs » 17 December 12 9:59 pm

I checked the WPI website, LINDEMAN is listed as a social studies faculty member, but this isnt listed in their current research projects. I reckon the survey is legit

eforehand

Post by eforehand » 20 December 12 9:07 am

Absolutely!

I am Elizabeth Forehand, a student of Worcester Polytechnic Institute in Worcester, Massachusetts, USA. Completing an Interqualifying Project (IQP), a research project, is a graduation requirement for us. Amir and I chose to research Geocaching motivations under the supervision of Professor, and geocacher, Lindeman. I'm not going to fib here I'm using this from what I posted on Geocaching NSW because they are the same questions.

I would like to point out in addition to the questions asked that we are not recieving any monetary benefit from the research and also no one is paying for the research. As part of our 3-term IQP we are doing all the research during our own time as a semi-unsupervised class. We do of course have the guidance and expertice of Professor Lindeman.

Purpose: The purpose of our study, to expand upon what is listed below, is the motivations of geocachers. Are there any commonalities between geocachers? If so, what are they? (From Informed Consent: The purpose of this study is to understand motivations of Geocaching practices within the community of Geocachers. )

Uses: We are interested in the betterment of geocaching, as there is very little research done in this area. It is possible that certain elements of geocaching may be more rewarding to some players and conversely there may be some elements that are not rewarding. The survey is not intended to be used for marketing purposes.

I do hope you chose to participate in th survey, every response counts! The larger and more diverse sample size the better the results! :)

Sincerely,
Elizabeth Forehand

Informed Consent Agreement for Participation in a Research Study
Investigators: Robert W. Lindeman, Amirhossein Farvardin, Elizabeth Forehand
Contact Information: Tel: +1-508-831-6712 Email: geocachingsurvey@wpi.eduThis e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it <mailto: geocachingsurvey@wpi.eduThis e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it >
Introduction: You are being asked to participate in a research study. Before you start, however, you must be fully informed about the purpose of the study, and the procedures to be followed. The following information may help you make a fully informed decision regarding your participation in this study.
Purpose of the study: The purpose of this study is to understand motivations of Geocaching practices within the community of Geocachers.
Participation: Your participation in this research is voluntary. You may decide to stop participating in the research at any time. Data obtained in this experiment will become the property of the investigators and WPI. If you withdraw from the study, data already collected from you will remain in the study. All participants must be 18 years of age or older.
Record keeping and confidentiality: All responses will remain anonymous. If you choose to provide your geocaching.com<geocaching.com/> handle and/or email address, this information will not be distributed to outside sources or published in any findings or reports. Other data may be used in research reports and scientific publications. Only those involved in the study, including the study investigators and the WPI IRB, will have full access to the information you provide.

Zalgariath

Post by Zalgariath » 20 December 12 10:34 am

Thanks! One survey filled for you :D Just checking you wernt a nasty marketing company :-#

Alansee
4000 or more? I'm officially obsessed.
4000 or more? I'm officially obsessed.

Post by Alansee » 20 December 12 5:25 pm

Survey done (I once did something similar at Uni so try to help others).

Note though that this is obviously entirely separate to any caching organisation (eg, Groundspeak, Geocaching Australia) and that if you want to change anything there you will be better off approaching them directly!

LouiseAnn
4500 or more caches found
4500 or more caches found

Post by LouiseAnn » 21 December 12 12:34 am

Done

biggles1024
2500 or more caches found
2500 or more caches found

Post by biggles1024 » 21 December 12 7:59 pm

Done. :)

kieran

Post by kieran » 03 January 13 11:51 pm

Done :frog

eforehand

Re: Geocaching Research Survey UPDATE

Post by eforehand » 01 February 13 2:24 am

Dear Geocaching Community,
Your support for our survey on geocaching motivations has been outstanding! We currently have about 600 respondents to our first survey. We write, not only update you on the progress, but also to say THANK YOU!

Special thanks to the following sites and individuals for promoting our survey:
Madcacher.com,
Sonny & Sandy of podcacher.com
FTF Geocacher magazine
Kristylea’s Geocaching Treasures
notaboutthenumbers.com/

If you haven’t had a chance to fill out the survey, it will be available until February 8, 2013. Please follow the link below and share with a friend if you haven’t already. Just a reminder the results of this survey will be used to create a second survey that will become available around March 1st.

Sincerely,

Dr. Robert W. Lindeman, Amirhossein Farvardin, Elizabeth Forehand

danozz
1550 or more caches found
1550 or more caches found

Post by danozz » 01 February 13 5:56 pm

lol no thanks to Geocaching Australia

MtnLioness
2800 or more caches found