First Aid kits

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
Aushiker
350 ? I am the lizard queen
Twitter: Aushiker

Post by Aushiker » 14 December 04 11:38 am

No band aids or similiar for little cuts and scratches, escepially with the kids? Personally,I would through a few in.
<p>
Andrew

Cached
2500 or more caches found
2500 or more caches found

Post by Cached » 14 December 04 12:19 pm

These guys appear to do custom ones - if we wanted to do bulk, this would be the way to go.

http://www.stjamesfirstaid.com.au/

Team Red Devil
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

Post by Team Red Devil » 14 December 04 12:34 pm

Because there will be the three of us caching at any given time- I would make sure each of us had our own kit. <br>
<br>
So I would need three kits- I'd have to buy one at a time due to budget constraints. But bulk might allow me to buy at least two at the one time.
<br>
Marie-Navigator-Team Red Devil.

Lt. Sniper
Outdoor Adventurer

Post by Lt. Sniper » 14 December 04 12:42 pm

Thanks for that Chookies and AusHiker,

I will make some changes to my kit and will also add a few things.

Bronze

Post by Bronze » 14 December 04 2:35 pm

[quote="Bronze
Now <a href="http://www.serverlogic3.com/lm/rtl3.asp?si=1&k=step%202" onmouseover="window.status='step 2'; return true;" onmouseout="window.status=''; return true;">step 2</a>. You have an Andrew [/quote]

i! - Someone has hacked this thread I think.

I didn't put in this hypalink (see I can even spell it). Better run a chack over the forum and see if it have been compromised as this is a link to spam toy sales site.

Please investigate. Will U2U you.

Bronze.

Lt. Sniper
Outdoor Adventurer

Post by Lt. Sniper » 14 December 04 4:22 pm

right..........

Gunn Parker
400 or more spectacular views seen

Post by Gunn Parker » 14 December 04 5:32 pm

Bronze wrote:[quote="Bronze
Now <a href="http://www.serverlogic3.com/lm/rtl3.asp?si=1&k=step%202" onmouseover="window.status='step 2'; return true;" onmouseout="window.status=''; return true;">step 2</a>. You have an Andrew
i! - Someone has hacked this thread I think.

I didn't put in this hypalink (see I can even spell it). Better run a chack over the forum and see if it have been compromised as this is a link to spam toy sales site.

Please investigate. Will U2U you.

Bronze.[/quote]

what the???

dcr
100 or more tracks walked

Post by dcr » 14 December 04 5:35 pm

Bronze,
you might want to run Adaware, or SpyBot to see if you have any *fun* helpers on your machine. It looks clean at this end.
cheers Darren :)

ideology

Post by ideology » 14 December 04 6:57 pm

bronze, as dcr says, it seems fine here. if you google on the serverlogic3 website you'll see it's probably some kind of malware on your computer. good luck removing it!

Gunn Parker

Post by Gunn Parker » 14 December 04 7:08 pm

http://www.serverlogic3.com/ wrote: If you'd like to remove Hyperlinker, please follow these instructions:
Click Start
Click "Run"
Type "command" in the Run box
Type "cd C:Windowssystem32" or cd "C:WINNTsystem32" (depending on your operating system)
Type "regsvr32 -u lmf32.dll"
Restart your computer
After restarting, you may delete the files "lmf32.dll" and "lmd.bin" from your WindowsSystem32 directory

Dingbats

Post by Dingbats » 18 December 04 11:03 am

Aushiker wrote:Hi
<p>
Just one comment in relation to treating snake bites. Unless your kit contains at least three reasonably wide bandages, I would suggest it is likely to be useless. If you don't believe me, take your kit or bandage that you carry and try and adequately bandage your leg ... see how far it goes.
A single 15cm bandage covers a fair whack of a limb. This is the only bandage I carry in my walking kit.

Bronze

Post by Bronze » 18 December 04 12:55 pm

Sorry all.

It was not my intention to hijack the thread. I was at work - it's a work computer - I notified the network administrator and it's now their problem. I'm at home now. All seem to be fine from this end. Since we just had a reformat and reinstall I doubt there will be too much corruption coming from this machine.

First aid kits. Yes they are a good thing. Definately have one in the car and carry a small one for short hikes.

Snake bite - the main thing to achieve it to keep the person calm. Yes it is good to have the bandages, splints, helecopters and flashing lights but it is all for nothing if your psyched you gonna die. This is very untrue and the less people hype snake bite and know more about how venom works the better off the victim will be.

Stay calm - stay positive - be a little jovial and act with reassurance. Explain what you are doing, why you are doing it and explain that everything is going to be just fine. To do all this it is good to have a small kit. If it is too big eventually you will always raid it, soon it will be useless and you won't take it along when you need it.

Keep it small - keep it handy. Even if it enough to get the victim back to the car. I found that whenever I cache somewhere I am not familiar with it pays to ask the local tourist info where the hospital is and drive past and enter it into your GPS. I would only bother if I was there to cache / camp all weekend.

Lastly - I think people get into the greatest bother with our extreme climate changes. Particulary this time of year. Check at weatherzone.com what going to be happening where your going this weekend and think when your driving in, can I get out along here if it turns nastly. Common sense is the best first-aid kit you can take along.

Bronze.

Dingbats

Post by Dingbats » 18 December 04 1:11 pm

Bronze wrote: Snake bite - the main thing to achieve it to keep the person calm.

Stay calm - stay positive - be a little jovial and act with reassurance. Explain what you are doing, why you are doing it and explain that everything is going to be just fine.
This is a good explanation of the most important step in all first aid treatment, excluding an unconscious patient or major trauma, and in these cases reassurance is the second most important step :)

Aushiker
Twitter: Aushiker

Post by Aushiker » 18 December 04 1:29 pm

Dingbats wrote: A single 15cm bandage covers a fair whack of a limb. This is the only bandage I carry in my walking kit.
<p>
Agree, but note the context of my comment. How many first aid kits contain 15 cm bandages? Second, sufficient bandage is required for one's own leg or those in the party. There is a big difference in requirements for some one whois 5' tall to someone whois 6' tall. Hence my comment about trying it out on one's own limbs. Carrying a 15 cm banadge may or may not be sufficient. For me, I want more. Cheap insurance.
<p>
Cheers<br>
Andrew

Bronze

Post by Bronze » 18 December 04 1:42 pm

Thanks for your support Dingbats.

Providing that kind of reassurance is also comforting to those who are the onlookers. I have been in may different situations and I can tell you that things get a hell of a lot worse in a hurry when all of a sudden you have two victims. I'm talking about shock.

Very quickly you now have two crisis to deal with. A genuine vistim and a sympathiser. Often it's a mum, sibling or small child. Second to that it will happen when the adrenaline of the event wears off. So just as your about to move the patient after imobilasation you will have a member of your party collapse and then things get messy. The primary victim then starts to panic and other member of your party lose composure.

I would not consider severe trauma and unconsciousness exceptions. Although I appreciate your support I think that even though unconscious there are other around who will just as much need you to maintain an "I know what I'm doing" attitude. Second to that - A severe trauma need direct pressure immeadiately and your control to not show people what the injury look like until the person is rested and the appropriate dressing is ready to be applied. More often than not you should retain the towel, cloth, shirt over the wound until you reach the hospital or ambulance. The blood already cloging the cloth is the best form of antiseptic in the short term. Just use your bandage to retain the direct pressure. And as above - unless you want your part dropping like flies don't show anyone the wound until you arrive at transport.

Rest - Reassurance - Responsiveness and Communication.

If this seem to much - stuff buying a first aid kit. Go do a first aid course. There can be no better thing to have at an emergence than a cool head who is willing to take charge and is looking out for everyone and the victim.

Bronze.
PS - Do the course and make your own kit for 1/4 the price. If you can put together a cache you can easily build a first aid kit.