Bingo - The moving cache race for 2012/2013

Discussion about the Geocaching Australia web site
SeabreezeOZ
200 or more found
200 or more found

Re: Bingo - The moving cache race for 2012/2013

Post by SeabreezeOZ » 11 December 12 11:24 am

caughtatwork wrote:
SeabreezeOZ wrote:Can i propose a new game after this one is finished. Moveable caches that have QR codes attached. Find the cache, scan it straight away to indicate its been found then place somewhere else later. I would dig that! Can someone explain how i can create QR codes, LOL! :lol:
Go to your cache page.
Print QR code.
Attach to cache.
Hmmmmm, wants to print the whole page....

WanderingAus
5000 or more caches found

Post by WanderingAus » 11 December 12 11:56 am

SeabreezeOZ wrote:
caughtatwork wrote:
SeabreezeOZ wrote:Can i propose a new game after this one is finished. Moveable caches that have QR codes attached. Find the cache, scan it straight away to indicate its been found then place somewhere else later. I would dig that! Can someone explain how i can create QR codes, LOL! :lol:
Go to your cache page.
Print QR code.
Attach to cache.
gmj3191 wrote:[ages ago]
Try this site, just paste your cache URL into the box
http://www.qrstuff.com/
Nice big image.

SeabreezeOZ
200 or more found
200 or more found

Post by SeabreezeOZ » 11 December 12 12:52 pm

WanderingAus wrote:
SeabreezeOZ wrote:
caughtatwork wrote:
Go to your cache page.
Print QR code.
Attach to cache.
O M G !!!! That site is fracking AMAZING
your'e a genius Keith!

Nice big image.

SeabreezeOZ
200 or more found
200 or more found

Post by SeabreezeOZ » 11 December 12 12:54 pm

<----------- Now, how do i get a pic into my profile? :D

LouiseAnn
4500 or more caches found
4500 or more caches found

Post by LouiseAnn » 11 December 12 5:04 pm

SeabreezeOZ wrote:<----------- Now, how do i get a pic into my profile? :D
Go to User Control Panel and the top of the screen

Select Profile and Edit Avatar from the menus on the left

You have to have you picture hosted on the web somewhere

Facitman
1400 or more caches found

Post by Facitman » 11 December 12 7:27 pm

Now let's be clear...I'm not having a go at anyone :-)
I find it really interesting that it could be considered being courteous to drop a moveable when you grab one?
I hadn't even vaguely considered that. I actually personally dislike the aspect of these moveable games that results in people dropping multiple moveables at one set of coordinates, I think that diminishes the value of the find a bit. So suggesting that I should swap moveables is equally odd. It is to me almost lazy, I can't be bothered finding a hiding spot and recording some coordinates so I I'll put them where I found another. I wouldn't mind a restriction on saturation or reuse of locations (but this is contrary to gca principles anyway) but I know the people who find/hide dozens in one run would find this difficult (maybe a good thing?)
Just my view YMMV

MtnLioness
2800 or more caches found
2800 or more caches found

Post by MtnLioness » 11 December 12 8:28 pm

Um, have the rules changed this year?

Is the rule of 2 people between you are able to find it again been abolished?

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 11 December 12 8:38 pm

MtnLioness wrote:Um, have the rules changed this year?

Is the rule of 2 people between you are able to find it again been abolished?
Yes and yes.
It's based on what you find for this game, not how far the cache moved, so multiple moves by the same folks don't contribute to your bingo cards getting and more full.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 11 December 12 8:43 pm

caughtatwork wrote:
DaFiChNi Team wrote:From what I can see this is an issue now for about 40 or so caches.

As an aside, there is one rather large number 50 cache owned by mr nutwood that we love to score a bingo cross without having to move :P :P still contemplating this one :D :D
I've removed the "moved" logs by wilco. It affects nothing apart from budgietas gets the credit for the move.
I'll have a look at the code tonight and see if I can get it to use the "first" moved (if the co-ords are the same) rather than the "last" moved.
http://forum.geocaching.com.au/viewtopi ... 52#p201952

Based on this anomoly, I've amended the code to apply the "distance" to the "first" cacher who moves a cache to a location. i.e. If YOU move a cache to a location and I move it to the same location (because I log a move as well, even though the co-ords are the same) after you then the EARLIER of the two moves get the distance. i.e. YOU.

This should remove the anomaly where people are "moving" a cache to the same place they found it. i.e. They didn't really move it at all. If you notice anything weird, please let me know.

Richary
8000 or more caches found
8000 or more caches found

Post by Richary » 11 December 12 8:46 pm

Facitman wrote:Now let's be clear...I'm not having a go at anyone :-)
I find it really interesting that it could be considered being courteous to drop a moveable when you grab one?
I hadn't even vaguely considered that.
In general I would agree, but at the same time in the initial rush of the game period I can also understand that people will travel to an area where there are a few and feel frustrated if they have all disappeared. So for that reason I don't mind leaving one if I have one to leave.

Of course, if we were treating this as a competition rather than a bit of fun the object would be to take all the ones you find, then hide them somewhere along a 20km each way bushwalk with minimal clues. Just to make it harder on your competitors.
I actually personally dislike the aspect of these moveable games that results in people dropping multiple moveables at one set of coordinates, I think that diminishes the value of the find a bit.
That's true, and seems to be happening a touch more this year than in previous times with more gathering in one spot. But still I think rather than being competitive we are all helping each other a bit by trying to make caches easier to find for others in our area so we can all have a bit more fun while the race is on. Whether that is a good thing is up to the individual to decide.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 11 December 12 8:57 pm

Good points. As the initial enthusiasm wanes (and it will in the next week or so), I expect caches to stay in their locations more than a few hours :D That will give some of us cachers a better chance of the cache being in place when we go to look for it.

Based on the GeGnome Project and Leap Frog, by January, the caches will probably be in place for a full week before moving. The most enthusiastic will have found their numbers and the lazier cachers will have a chance to just snap them up without having to panic that they may have gone.

The sheer number of caches in this game is also a contributor to the "multi-drops". There are nearly 700 caches in the game. That gives some areas a huge saturation point. It's fun to find. It's kind of less fun to hide, what with having to average waypoint, keep notes, etc. The GA Cacher update to give you co-ords you can auto fill is a great step forward, but that only assists the Android users.

I have been guilty of dropping multiple caches in the same spot. It is actually kind of tough to find 11 new locations every other day :mrgreen: so I also tend to drop in locations where I have previously gathered co-ords. I think, based on very sound points above, I'll be amending my ways. Especially as I use the GA Cacher app with the auto fill co-ords.

It will still be tough through the week to get to new areas, but the weekends (time permitting) allow for more distant drop offs.

Facitman

Post by Facitman » 11 December 12 9:58 pm

caughtatwork wrote:... and the lazier cachers ...
You talking about me? :evil: :P :P :P

I think the game play changes the way we cache, not necessarily a bad thing, just different. The games are great fun and the urgency and whirlwind nature of the early weeks is as fun to watch as to participate.

As I said, not having a go, just interesting how people see things differently.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 11 December 12 10:09 pm

Facitman wrote:
caughtatwork wrote:... and the lazier cachers ...
You talking about me? :evil: :P :P :P

I think the game play changes the way we cache, not necessarily a bad thing, just different. The games are great fun and the urgency and whirlwind nature of the early weeks is as fun to watch as to participate.

As I said, not having a go, just interesting how people see things differently.
Not per se. I was mostly referring to myself. The game changes what I do during the game, indeed. It doesn't carry through to my normal yearly caching, but during the summer game it is fun to get out, find a bunch in a few hours, rehide them and watch people flock to them later that night.

I agree you're not having a go. I like to see different points of view. They help me see things differently and understand why some people do what it is that they do. The level of competition amongst some cachers in huge. So huge it might be causing others some level of distress. I really don't like that aspect of the game, but without some level of competitiveness, they're just a bunch of new caches to find. Meh. The only thing I'm really doing in this game is trying to fill my card. Not early. Not fast. I'm not competing against anyone else. There is no reward for first finished or last finished. Everyone who finishes, finishes equally.

There's been a moving cache game now for 4 years in a row. It might be an opportunity to do something different next year. Not necessarily moving caches. I have 12 months to think something up :mrgreen:

WanderingAus

Post by WanderingAus » 11 December 12 10:12 pm

SeabreezeOZ wrote:
WanderingAus wrote:
O M G !!!! That site is fracking AMAZING
your'e a genius Keith!

Nice big image.
I can't take credit, except for finding the posting by gmj3191 - he's the genius.

quiet1_au
5500 or more caches found
5500 or more caches found

Post by quiet1_au » 12 December 12 6:47 am

Facitman wrote:Now let's be clear...I'm not having a go at anyone :-)
I hadn't even vaguely considered that. I actually personally dislike the aspect of these moveable games that results in people dropping multiple moveables at one set of coordinates, I think that diminishes the value of the find a bit. So suggesting that I should swap moveables is equally odd. It is to me almost lazy, I can't be bothered finding a hiding spot and recording some coordinates so I I'll put them where I found another. I wouldn't mind a restriction on saturation or reuse of locations (but this is contrary to gca principles anyway) but I know the people who find/hide dozens in one run would find this difficult (maybe a good thing?)
Just my view YMMV
Whilst I try to swap caches - it's easier than finding new spots and recording coordinates :wink: - if you think a cacher is only going to take 3 caches of the dozen hidden caches in a park because that's all they have in hand to swap - um, sorry but that hardly seems likely.... Just as unlikely that on the night they're published most won't get picked up by certain cachers, or that your own caches won't travel 100km before you get a chance to grab them yourself... It's the nature of the beast.

I'm not in favour of moving caches you have already found if you can help it, unless they've been left somewhere out of the way and unfound for extended periods when moving them back to suburbia is a good thing. I ignore all previously found race caches on my GPS data loads, so only find them is they've been left with other caches.

As for multiple drops well as C@W says with the high of finding a dozen caches comes the low of hiding them all again #-o I try to avoid it, but small caches often get left in pairs, especially when swapped for multiple caches, but I try to avoid hiding more than that in one spot due to the ever present muggling risk. As a finder though, feel free to hide them all in one spot - it makes my life much easier! :mrgreen: :lol:

Remember though, a cache race is not just for Christmas and, again, as already mentioned the initial fury of the mad cache initial grabbing fades after the available caches unfound dimishishes. Some of us play as the hare grabbing as many as quickly as possible, others the tortoise, sit back and wait a while for the caching activity to settle a bit and then pick them off a your leisure! :wink:

It is a game, and I'd hate to see the competition so intense that caches are deliberately placed so as to make them difficult or impossible for others to reach, whether it be by dropping them miles from anywhere, or in difficult locations (up trees, on islands, etc) For me the race is against myself, once I've found and moved I want others to find them too - and hopefully drop of new ones in return, but that's just a bonus. That's why if I cross paths with other racers a drop and swap is perfectly fine and mutually beneficial. I don't care that they're "the enemy" and no you can't have them because you might beat me (that happens anyway!...)

:-$
Last edited by quiet1_au on 12 December 12 6:59 am, edited 1 time in total.