Logging Caches in the field using a QR Codes

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
Rigger64
950 or more random things achieved

Logging Caches in the field using a QR Codes

Post by Rigger64 » 01 December 12 5:17 pm

After seeing the QR code on the GCA caches it gave me an idea that if i put the found code into a QR generator the the QR could then be printed out & stuck in side the cache container & logged in the field.
I was playing around with the QR Generator that i have & came up with the QR Code that once generated & then scanned it took me to the log page of one of me caches..

Here is how i did it:
Start the "QR generator" the open the Cache that you want to create the QR for the go to the "log Your Visit" then copy the Text from the Address bar the Paste it in the QR Generator then once you have created the QR save it to file so the it can be used @ a later time..

caughtatwork

Re: Logging Caches in the field using a QR Codes

Post by caughtatwork » 01 December 12 6:37 pm

The cache page has a QR code embedded in it. In the Cache Details section, look to the right of the Google Map. You can print that QR code and attach it to your cache. I did it to mine.

Then anyone with a smart phone can scan the QR code and it will take them to the log page. Or, if they have GA Cacher installed they can open the app and log it from there.

Rigger64

Post by Rigger64 » 01 December 12 6:41 pm

caughtatwork wrote:The cache page has a QR code embedded in it. In the Cache Details section, look to the right of the Google Map. You can print that QR code and attach it to your cache. I did it to mine.

Then anyone with a smart phone can scan the QR code and it will take them to the log page. Or, if they have GA Cacher installed they can open the app and log it from there.
Yeah i found that it also works with GC caches if you create the QR.

petan
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Location: One foot on either side of the border (SE Qld/NE NSW)

Post by petan » 01 December 12 9:37 pm

I added QR codes to all my moveables.

I know I could have just printed off the codes from the pages but it was easier to create new ones from a generator so I had a jpg to embed into the logsheet or information page.

Cheesy pigs
3000 or more caches found
3000 or more caches found

Post by Cheesy pigs » 01 December 12 9:44 pm

Most cachers using a smartphone have caching programs on their phone. I know Geosphere doesn't show the QR code on the page, but has a open in browser button. Based on this do we need a QR code in the cache?

petan
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Location: One foot on either side of the border (SE Qld/NE NSW)

Post by petan » 02 December 12 9:45 am

I was thinking more for muggles - there is a lot more information on the cache page then can be fitted on a log sheet or info page.

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Twitter: CraigRat
Facebook: http://facebook.com/CraigRat

Post by CraigRat » 02 December 12 11:10 am

Cheesy pigs wrote:Most cachers using a smartphone have caching programs on their phone. I know Geosphere doesn't show the QR code on the page, but has a open in browser button. Based on this do we need a QR code in the cache?
On Android you can set apps to be invoked with certain URLs via intents.

The idea behind the QR code on GCA pages is that someone can scan the QR code and in the case of the GA Cacher app it will open up that app on the Log screen (no need to go via the webpage and whatnot). Quite convenient.