Bingo - The moving cache race for 2012/2013

Discussion about the Geocaching Australia web site
cathylmorgan

Re: Bingo - The moving cache race for 2012/2013

Post by cathylmorgan » 29 November 12 2:17 pm

/quote]You can use any text you like in the log, just say something like "ready to travel" or whatever. The critical thing is to make it a "Publish" type of log and to make certain the Date for the log is 1/12/12. (and ensure there is a Public Tag of "bingo" for your caches)[/quote]

Thanks

DG Tas
600 or more caches found
600 or more caches found

Post by DG Tas » 29 November 12 4:04 pm

So who is going out at midnight for the chance at an FTF? If you do could you please log them as soon as? By the time we get around to going for a look we would like to find some!
I am also looking forward to seeing how creative people have been, I think most of ours are pretty cool!

blossom*
3000 or more caches found

Post by blossom* » 29 November 12 4:10 pm

DG Tas wrote:So who is going out at midnight for the chance at an FTF? If you do could you please log them as soon as? By the time we get around to going for a look we would like to find some!
I am also looking forward to seeing how creative people have been, I think most of ours are pretty cool!
I'll be out at midnight with a bit of luck :D Will log before dawn but not "on the run" in the dark.

DG Tas
600 or more caches found
600 or more caches found

Post by DG Tas » 29 November 12 4:23 pm

blossom* wrote:
DG Tas wrote:So who is going out at midnight for the chance at an FTF? If you do could you please log them as soon as? By the time we get around to going for a look we would like to find some!
I'll be out at midnight with a bit of luck :D Will log before dawn but not "on the run" in the dark.
Not even with a quick, 'Picked up, full log to follow' ? That's what I usually do, then do a full log later when I get home. Last year all I put was 'Frognapped'! and expanded later. :frog
I find it quite easy now with the ap on my phone and predictive text.

Toriaz
200 or more found
200 or more found

Post by Toriaz » 29 November 12 4:48 pm

DG Tas wrote:
blossom* wrote:
Not even with a quick, 'Picked up, full log to follow' ? That's what I usually do, then do a full log later when I get home. Last year all I put was 'Frognapped'! and expanded later. :frog
I find it quite easy now with the ap on my phone and predictive text.
Not all of us have the technology for logging on the run.

rogerw3
8000 or more caches found

Post by rogerw3 » 29 November 12 5:44 pm

Sorry no logs on the run, don't have the gizmo needed, have to wait until after the 3 hours train ride back home.
:D :lol: Does that mean I should not play? :D :lol: :wink:

DG Tas
600 or more caches found
600 or more caches found

Post by DG Tas » 29 November 12 7:28 pm

rogerw3 wrote:Sorry no logs on the run, don't have the gizmo needed, have to wait until after the 3 hours train ride back home.
No no not saying that at all...sorry i have just had wasted afternoons chasing frogs that have been pic :? ked up earlier.

Toriaz
200 or more found
200 or more found

Post by Toriaz » 29 November 12 8:26 pm

Just got in from placing a few of mine & had a mild panic with one - I placed it in the hollow of a tree, then realised the hollow went much deeper than I thought, and my little cache dropped in way further than my arm could reach #-o . Luckily I had caching tool #17 in the car, and managed to get it out eventually \:D/ . It's now safely stashed in a different hiding spot :) .

rogerw3

Post by rogerw3 » 29 November 12 8:33 pm

DG Tas wrote:
rogerw3 wrote:Sorry no logs on the run, don't have the gizmo needed, have to wait until after the 3 hours train ride back home.
No no not saying that at all...sorry i have just had wasted afternoons chasing frogs that have been pic :? ked up earlier.
All in good fun Mate!

I have had many days of taking the train, 3 hours to Sydney, looking in vain for Frogs or Gnomes for a few hours then have to take the return 3 hours train trip home empty handed.

Still I think this year I will take it easier and limit my travelling.

blossom*

Post by blossom* » 29 November 12 9:03 pm

I don't have apps either. My gps is the most sophisticated bit of technology :mrgreen:

FelixII
10000 or more caches found
10000 or more caches found

Post by FelixII » 29 November 12 9:10 pm

Umm I haven't noticed this asked earlier 8-[

is there to be a workshop with a veterinarians behind for any emergency repairs this year? :gnome :gnomette :frog :frogette

nutwood

Post by nutwood » 29 November 12 9:22 pm

Toriaz wrote:Just got in from placing a few of mine & had a mild panic with one - I placed it in the hollow of a tree, then realised the hollow went much deeper than I thought, and my little cache dropped in way further than my arm could reach #-o . Luckily I had caching tool #17 in the car, and managed to get it out eventually \:D/ . It's now safely stashed in a different hiding spot :) .
I'm finding that when this happens, you reach in further and pull out an existing cache! I think the number of caches V the number of hollow trees is approaching equilibrium. We'll soon be experiencing birds that have evolved to share their nesting spaces with caches!

quiet1_au
5500 or more caches found
5500 or more caches found

Post by quiet1_au » 29 November 12 9:51 pm

cathylmorgan wrote:/quote]You can use any text you like in the log, just say something like "ready to travel" or whatever. The critical thing is to make it a "Publish" type of log and to make certain the Date for the log is 1/12/12. (and ensure there is a Public Tag of "bingo" for your caches)
Thanks[/quote]

The important date to make 1/12/12 is the Hidden Date in the cache listing as this controls the future-publishing date. Posting a Published log activates the cache - in theory date can be anything as it doesn't effect the future publishing of the cache, but makes most sense (and keeps The Doctor happy) to also list it as 1/12/12. Until you log it as published it's just in draft regardless of the hidden date and wouldn't get published at the start of the race (I believe).

http://wiki.geocaching.com.au/wiki/Future_publishing

:-$

Bronnie_1990
1000 or more caches found
Twitter: bronnie1990

Post by Bronnie_1990 » 29 November 12 9:53 pm

I plan on doing a midnight run. I need to hide one of mine fairly late (as its in a pretty public spot! That's the excuse and I'm sticking to it!) So I may just see..

Also I nearly brought a wheelchair today. If only it wasn't 50 bucks...

Bronnie_1990
Twitter: bronnie1990

Post by Bronnie_1990 » 29 November 12 9:55 pm

Also I'm willing to start the canberra-Sydney trades! Going to the Christmas party on Sunday, so can take a carful...