Australian Power Trails

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
Browngang
2800 or more caches found
2800 or more caches found

Re: Australian Power Trails

Post by Browngang » 15 November 12 1:25 pm

Rainbow Spirit wrote:Give me an interesting and hard to find cache anytime, such as Bifrost :)
Show off ](*,) =D>

Marcus Vitruvius
5000 or more caches found

Post by Marcus Vitruvius » 15 November 12 2:08 pm

Rainbow Spirit wrote:Give me an interesting and hard to find cache anytime, such as Bifrost :)
By that you mean after Bifrost succumbed to mother nature's elements? :)

Rainbow Spirit
600 or more caches found
600 or more caches found

Post by Rainbow Spirit » 15 November 12 2:58 pm

Of cause MV.

Yurt
4500 or more caches found

Post by Yurt » 29 November 12 8:27 pm

Did a new 'power' trail this morning in Townsville. The power is in inverted commas as you need a bit of power in your legs to do it! It's not hugely long - 10 caches plus two older ones on the trail - but it is on a mountain bike trail and requires plenty of energy. It certainly isn't just a numbers expedition. It takes a bit to work out the order in which to do them as well. MTB tracks famously go everywhere but in a straight line so there's a lot of back and forth and the closest cache may not be the next on the track.

Anyway I enjoyed this one immensely.
The first (or last as it was for me) in the series:
The Mount Stuart "Get Your Sweat On" Power Trail

blossom*
3000 or more caches found
3000 or more caches found

Post by blossom* » 29 November 12 9:05 pm

Yurt wrote:Did a new 'power' trail this morning in Townsville. The power is in inverted commas as you need a bit of power in your legs to do it! It's not hugely long - 10 caches plus two older ones on the trail - but it is on a mountain bike trail and requires plenty of energy. It certainly isn't just a numbers expedition. It takes a bit to work out the order in which to do them as well. MTB tracks famously go everywhere but in a straight line so there's a lot of back and forth and the closest cache may not be the next on the track.

Anyway I enjoyed this one immensely.
The first (or last as it was for me) in the series:
The Mount Stuart "Get Your Sweat On" Power Trail
Sounds fantastic! Now when can I get a cheap flight I wonder?

kieran

Post by kieran » 03 January 13 1:04 am

I just started on the High Country Rail Trail series yesterday. I cache alone these days so I'll attack it in segments, probably spend a couple of weeks finishing it.

So far it's proving to be a good series. A bit of effort has gone into it, there is enough variation in the hides to keep things interesting, and some of them are damn hard!

It's also a beautiful ride.

I'm a pretty disorganised cacher, I will probably attack this one over a couple of weeks. Hope to see a few people out there.

Yurt

Post by Yurt » 20 March 13 9:33 am

Did the "Zargfinders Power Trail" around Manly Dam at the weekend. 20 caches and all of them brilliant and completely different. Beautiful area and a good circuit. This is what power trails could be like. Very hard act to follow though for future placers.
http://coord.info/GC445BR

There was an event over that way which 'launched' the trail so many people have already done it but I would recommend it to all Sydney visitors. Which reminds me...

akkatracker
600 or more caches found
600 or more caches found

Post by akkatracker » 20 March 13 6:45 pm

Yurt wrote:Did the "Zargfinders Power Trail" around Manly Dam at the weekend. 20 caches and all of them brilliant and completely different. Beautiful area and a good circuit. This is what power trails could be like. Very hard act to follow though for future placers.
http://coord.info/GC445BR

There was an event over that way which 'launched' the trail so many people have already done it but I would recommend it to all Sydney visitors. Which reminds me...
Ahh yes the memories.
The initial event was flooded but a few of us braved the rain and cold and FTF'd half the PowerTrail and the final.
Highly Recommended

VikingOlly
Twitter: Vikingolly

Post by VikingOlly » 22 March 13 6:56 am

We love Power Trails. The question is, when is it just a "series" and when a PT? For the want of an argument, our view is that a PT needs at least 10 caches. The longer they get of course the more difficult it is to maintain them. There is quite a good one between Canberra and Cooma, but it needs some maintenance as its got a little old. Our favourite so far is the ET PT in Nevada near Area 51 where we did the first 150 caches only, (plus a few odd-balls on the side of it.) One day we will have to go back and finish to 2000! Australia needs some really long PT's out in the dessert somewhere, but the work effort required is huge to build one that is large.

mtrax

Post by mtrax » 22 March 13 9:27 am

Lets call less than 20 a "series" and 20 or more a power trail...

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 22 March 13 9:38 am

Let's not.

LouiseAnn

Post by LouiseAnn » 22 March 13 6:59 pm

A power trail, I thought,was were the caches are right in the 161m limit for closeness. Anything else is a series! No matter the number.

oakydog
1100 or more caches found

Post by oakydog » 24 March 13 10:45 pm

Not a power trail as such as some are quite challenging and difficult to find but one I can highly recommend (if you have the means) http://coord.info/GC3CBTA

Last edited by oakydog on 25 March 13 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

noikmeister

Post by noikmeister » 24 March 13 10:54 pm

oakydog wrote:Not a power trail as such as some are quite challenging and difficult to find but one I can highly recommend (if you have the means) http://coord.info/GC3CBTA
Interesting. All terrain 5 and I am guessing from that (but the cache page doesn't explicitly say it) that they are all to be done via boat?

Another interesting item in the listing:
Logging Etiquette: Geocache hiders sometimes go through a great deal of planning to place their caches. As a result, they'd like to hear your feedback on whether you liked or disliked any aspect of the hide, or if you feel that some cache maintenance is required. Single word, acronym, or emoticon logs may be easier when you have a lot of caches to log, but it doesn't tell the hider or other finders anything about your adventure (or lack thereof) in finding the cache. Please keep this in mind when entering your log.
It is worth a try I think, but your general TFTC logger wont be reading the description.

oakydog

Post by oakydog » 25 March 13 6:34 am

Quote:
Logging Etiquette: Geocache hiders sometimes go through a great deal of planning to place their caches. As a result, they'd like to hear your feedback on whether you liked or disliked any aspect of the hide, or if you feel that some cache maintenance is required. Single word, acronym, or emoticon logs may be easier when you have a lot of caches to log, but it doesn't tell the hider or other finders anything about your adventure (or lack thereof) in finding the cache. Please keep this in mind when entering your log.
Now becoming common place on cache pages in Vic
Not to be confused with an extra logging requirement, just a friendly reminder to do the right thing