Bingo - The moving cache race for 2012/2013

Discussion about the Geocaching Australia web site
nutwood

Re: Bingo - The moving cache race for 2012/2013

Post by nutwood » 27 November 12 11:47 am

I'm confused #-o . What is the effect on your stats that is concerning people?
I'd just assumed that finding your own cache is just like finding a frog you've found before; you know what it looks like but where it's hidden is new?

Tuena
6500 or more caches found

Post by Tuena » 27 November 12 2:33 pm

Toriaz wrote:.............. a noted log saying that I have taken the cache from the currently listed coordinates gives the same information that a found it log gives.
When I check entrants in the race I look for a green tick & a blue arrow. Green tick & no accompanying blue arrow indicates the finder still has it & no point looking for it. In your scenario I'd have no idea unless I went into the record. Putting a watch on your entrants would be one solution. The way the last two races have run I doubt I'll have to worry (mass migration to metro areas) which I aided & abetted although this year is different.

tronador

Post by tronador » 27 November 12 5:54 pm

I'm with Toriaz on this. I won't log my own cache and never log a find more than once.Even in past races if I stumble upon a found cache, happy to move it , but will only note a pickup.

Rigger64
950 or more random things achieved

Post by Rigger64 » 27 November 12 11:48 pm

quiet1_au wrote:
Toriaz wrote:Since it is only the moved logs which count with bingo cards, does there have to be a found log preceding it?

I don't want to find my own caches, but if I need one of my own cache numbers for bingo, I was wondering if a noted log to say that I had taken the cache followed by a moved log would work. Or does the software look for the found/moved combination?
Well we fellow cachers look for the found log to indicate that oops we're too late, go and find another one to visit...

For that reason its important to log finds ASAP - if not in the field (I can't) then as soon as you get to the 'net so that others following in your footsteps don't have to search fruitlessly or waste a trip. Also why a clear hint is important so that its obvious you're looking in the exactly the right spot but must have been too late...

I've always thought its a little unfair not to be able to log your own moveable as a valid find once it has moved on - after all its in a hide you've never seen placed by another cacher just like any other logable cache, it's only the material object that happens to be your's. :-k I'm looking forward to finding my own this year.

:-$
Like "quiet1_au" has said i does add a twist to the game & as it has been said that once someone else moves it it is like not your cache asides from your name as to how owns the container bit once it has been it has been moved by someone else moves it it then becomes there hide in the sense of they have hidden it & you as the cache owner have no idea how they have hidden it.

Just my 2 Cents worth Less Tax & GST

P.S. this could set a precedence for movables.

nutwood

Post by nutwood » 28 November 12 10:59 am

Rigger64 wrote:
Like "quiet1_au" has said i does add a twist to the game & as it has been said that once someone else moves it it is like not your cache asides from your name as to how owns the container bit once it has been it has been moved by someone else moves it it then becomes there hide in the sense of they have hidden it & you as the cache owner have no idea how they have hidden it.

Just my 2 Cents worth Less Tax & GST

P.S. this could set a precedence for movables.
That seems a sensible view. All up the individual as to how they play the game but
I'm quite happy to find a moveable several times. If I was only prepared to find something once, the next logical step would be that I'm only prepared to look in the same location once and yet, especially during the frog race, there are hidey holes that I've visited multiple times, collecting movables.
The next step would be only looking for movables that are different. I encountered quite a few frogs that were different in name only. You could have a frog that was identical to a previous one, hidden in the same spot as the previous one, with the only difference being that you haven't logged a "found" under that particular number!
It seems simpler not to worry.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 28 November 12 1:20 pm

I generally don't find caches more than once only because they don't come through in my emailed query. If i happen across one Im more than happy to log a find more than once.

spatialriq
5500 or more caches found
5500 or more caches found

Post by spatialriq » 28 November 12 1:22 pm

caughtatwork wrote:It's a game. You're not playing for sheep stations. Enjoy it in the vein it was intended.
No sheep station up for grabs?!?! :shock: :shock: Awwwww. :lol:

nutwood

Post by nutwood » 28 November 12 4:11 pm

caughtatwork wrote:I generally don't find caches more than once only because they don't come through in my emailed query. If i happen across one Im more than happy to log a find more than once.
Therein lies the difference. I'm an opportunistic cacher. Often in different locations and sometimes with unexpected time windows. Usually I look at the GCA map covering wherever I'm going and take note of the blue and the greens. Either that or I use GA Cacher on my phone.
Moveables are good under these conditions, track them down, swoop and gone. Traditionals take a bit more time and care, especially if there's a muggle parked on GZ! My moveable hunts have taken me into places I never knew were there and probably wouldn't have ducked in to if I wasn't hunting something I expected to be able to locate quickly.
If there's no moveables, I look for GCA traditionals and if there are none of those I look for GC traditionals. If I found an area where there were no caches at all, well.......; I don't know what I'd do. Swim ashore and think about it, I suppose!

covert
150 or more caches found
150 or more caches found

Post by covert » 28 November 12 9:29 pm

Can GA cacher filter bingo only movable ?

Richary
8000 or more caches found
8000 or more caches found

Post by Richary » 28 November 12 9:57 pm

My normal GSAK export settings to the etrex, and my normal filter on the iPhone only shows unfound caches from GC & GCA. However during the races I will change the iPhone settings to show all if I am in an area there may be a GCA moveable. Outside the races I generally won't bother finding a moveable I have already found (even though I know I can for another smiley, it's too much hassle to work out how to train GSAK or Geosphere to do so on a regular basis).

covert
150 or more caches found
150 or more caches found

Post by covert » 29 November 12 12:28 am

spatialriq wrote:No sheep station up for grabs?!?! :shock: :shock: Awwwww. :lol:
No sheep stations but how about an Airport ?

Rigger64

Post by Rigger64 » 29 November 12 1:49 am

GEEZ it's a game that is played by us so if you want to find a movable cache more than & log it more than once so be it if you don't want to find it & log it more than once filter it out & don't b)(&^ well log it your call as to how you play the game i will cross that bridge when i come to it & not before i get to it, So stop all the P(&^%) & Moning & play the game, Like some said were not playing for Sheep/Cattle station or bl)(*& Airports so lets let the kid in all of us out play like were kids again(that how i play the game thats why i still enjoy the game) & stop playing like we are all Philadelphia Lawyers..............

My day, Button on my pants popped off as i was heading out the door(0700Hrs) & i was running late So no time to change the get to work Tail light on my truck smashed off then running around all day like a headless chook then after fixing the tail light i smashed it on the stinking rotten trailer (so that will have to fixed Tomorrow) the head to the rail(2130Hrs) trip number not valid more time lost then wait for the Reach Stakker to pick the rail box Waiting, Waiting, Waiting then back(2220Hrs) to the yard Geez my trailer is still out on the road great now i have to put it away knock off(2230Hrs) head home Geez im hungry duck into Mc's Order something to eat After paying Sorry there will be about a four minuite wait Great, get food head off get home(0015Hrs)

Sorry for the rant but i have just had a Really Really BAD day...........I HATE work with a passion!!!!!!!!!!!! ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) :stabby :x :x :x :x
Rant over

blossom*
3000 or more caches found

Post by blossom* » 29 November 12 12:45 pm

Rigger64 wrote:Sorry for the rant but i have just had a Really Really BAD day...........I HATE work with a passion!!!!!!!!!!!! ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) :stabby :x :x :x :x
Rant over
Don't worry, as we don't yet know the bingo prizes, it might turn out that it's a lottery ticket, and then it might turn out that you win, and THEN I expect it will turn out that you can retire 8) Or better yet, I might win :lol:

cathylmorgan

Post by cathylmorgan » 29 November 12 2:10 pm

My 5 bingo entries are now hidden - just need to finish off the pages. I vaguely remember from last year having to type something in the log to get the caches published. Can someone tell me what this is pls?
Looking forward to the game starting!

blossom*

Post by blossom* » 29 November 12 2:13 pm

cathylmorgan wrote:My 5 bingo entries are now hidden - just need to finish off the pages. I vaguely remember from last year having to type something in the log to get the caches published. Can someone tell me what this is pls?
Looking forward to the game starting!
You can use any text you like in the log, just say something like "ready to travel" or whatever. The critical thing is to make it a "Publish" type of log and to make certain the Date for the log is 1/12/12. (and ensure there is a Public Tag of "bingo" for your caches)