Claiming a find but log not signed.

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
Bushfire

Claiming a find but log not signed.

Post by Bushfire » 18 November 12 11:31 pm

I have found three different teams who are claiming caches as a find but on checking the log there are no signatures. Has anyone else come across this trend. :roll:

Papa Bear_Left
800 or more hollow logs searched
800 or more hollow logs searched

Re: Claiming a find but log not signed.

Post by Papa Bear_Left » 19 November 12 12:21 am

They're not really hurting anything other than their own reputations for honesty, assuming that they didn't actually find the caches.

I guess there could be valid reasons for not signing the physical logs, but I can't think of any offhand, and they can't complain if the caches' owners delete their finds.

If it's on your caches, you have every right to delete their logs, although it would be polite to ask them about the situation first.

Cheesy pigs
3000 or more caches found
3000 or more caches found

Post by Cheesy pigs » 19 November 12 8:17 am

I have had it happen where I have been to the cache opened it looked through the log book but had a brain fart and forgotten to actually sign it. If its a team that does it regularly then that probably isnt the cause, but it's worth waiting to see what their reason was :)

Richary
8000 or more caches found
8000 or more caches found

Post by Richary » 19 November 12 11:04 pm

Some people fake finds, a few years ago there was a bit of a trend with overseas people finding multiple caches across continents in a single day. If it's not my cache I don't worry about it, if they want to artificially inflate their numbers that way it's no skin off my nose as I'm not in competition with them.

If I find a cache and can't sign the log for some reason (it's soaked, pen failure etc) then I will note that in the online log and it is up to the Cache Owner whether they accept that. So far I haven't had any deleted.

The only numbers I care about are mine. And I can say I have been to every cache I have claimed. If people want to claim numbers for ones they haven't been to, they can live with that in their conscience.

wyrdsister
350 ? I am the lizard queen
350 ? I am the lizard queen

Post by wyrdsister » 20 November 12 8:56 am

Is it possible the cachers are leaving a buisness card instead of leaving a trade and signing the log? I know this infuriates some cachers/cache owners who follow the guideline of signing the log and actually place items of equal and greater value back into the cache.

quiet1_au
5500 or more caches found
5500 or more caches found

Post by quiet1_au » 20 November 12 8:30 pm

Check the back of the logbook too - have noticed some cachers do this (usually without dating their logs) which is kinda annoying... [-X But at least they have proven their visit. No written log (without a good reason - eg logbook sodden) = fair enough to delete online log - thankfully I haven't had to do that yet. Best to question before deleting though unless you like unhappy notes/emails - or so I hear... :?

:-$