Bingo - The moving cache race for 2012/2013

Discussion about the Geocaching Australia web site
nutwood

Re: Bingo - The moving cache race for 2012/2013

Post by nutwood » 29 October 12 10:16 pm

We've got at least one cache that'll only be available for the duration of this game. Is it possible/courteous/practical to add a stipulation in the GCA description that "Found" logs will only be allowed if they adhere to the 1km rule? Bit of encouragement to those on the sidelines to get into the spirit of the game.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 30 October 12 8:01 am

nutwood wrote:We've got at least one cache that'll only be available for the duration of this game. Is it possible/courteous/practical to add a stipulation in the GCA description that "Found" logs will only be allowed if they adhere to the 1km rule? Bit of encouragement to those on the sidelines to get into the spirit of the game.
It's your cache. However, if they move it 500m and you delete the log, it will appear back where it was found not in the new location. That's impractical.

Bewilderbeest
2000 or more caches found
2000 or more caches found

Post by Bewilderbeest » 30 October 12 9:54 am

nutwood wrote:We've got at least one cache that'll only be available for the duration of this game. Is it possible/courteous/practical to add a stipulation in the GCA description that "Found" logs will only be allowed if they adhere to the 1km rule? Bit of encouragement to those on the sidelines to get into the spirit of the game.
I wont be playing the game, but I will attempt to find any moveable caches in my area, as usual.

I will do my best to abide by any logging requirements the owner puts on a cache, but I would appreciate it if you didnt force me to abide by the rules of the game I'm not playing in order to claim a find.

blossom*
3000 or more caches found

Post by blossom* » 30 October 12 9:58 am

Bewilderbeest wrote:I wont be playing the game, but I will attempt to find any moveable caches in my area, as usual.

I will do my best to abide by any logging requirements the owner puts on a cache, but I would appreciate it if you didnt force me to abide by the rules of the game I'm not playing in order to claim a find.
As long as you send any of the caches I need up to Sydney when necessary, you are quite welcome to do what you want with any of my caches that might turn up within reach :mrgreen:

s_mc500
150 or more caches found
150 or more caches found

Post by s_mc500 » 30 October 12 11:52 am

Is there any incentive to moving the caches more than 1km? Does the distance traveled have any bearing on the game, other than showing how close to the moon they are?

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 30 October 12 12:52 pm

s_mc500 wrote:Is there any incentive to moving the caches more than 1km? Does the distance traveled have any bearing on the game, other than showing how close to the moon they are?
For the mover, probably not.
For the cache owner, maybe.

nutwood

Post by nutwood » 30 October 12 8:59 pm

caughtatwork wrote:
It's your cache. However, if they move it 500m and you delete the log, it will appear back where it was found not in the new location. That's impractical.
Hmmm, point taken. Really it's academic though. I can't see us actually deleting someone's log because they have transgressed. I think our reaction would be limited to a note pointing out that they have not complied with the cache conditions. If someone wishes to claim a find they're technically not entitled to, it's their loss not ours. Won't cost us a thing!

Black Bunny

Post by Black Bunny » 30 October 12 9:18 pm

blossom* wrote:As long as you send any of the caches I need up to Sydney when necessary, you are quite welcome to do what you want with any of my caches that might turn up within reach :mrgreen:
So I suppose the shuttle service will be starting again soon, eh Blossom* :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Richary
8000 or more caches found
8000 or more caches found

Post by Richary » 30 October 12 9:30 pm

nutwood wrote:
caughtatwork wrote: It's your cache. However, if they move it 500m and you delete the log, it will appear back where it was found not in the new location. That's impractical.
Hmmm, point taken. Really it's academic though. I can't see us actually deleting someone's log because they have transgressed. I think our reaction would be limited to a note pointing out that they have not complied with the cache conditions. If someone wishes to claim a find they're technically not entitled to, it's their loss not ours. Won't cost us a thing!
Of course if you wanted to be pedantic you could delete their found log after the next move by someone else has happened. Your cache, your rules.

As for the shuttle, I *may* get interstate trips in December, unfortunately they are likely to be to country areas that probably wouldn't have many GA finders.

blossom*

Post by blossom* » 31 October 12 8:14 pm

Whoops! The card for Strike-a-light has the number 10 on it twice. If this is a random number generator, I guess you need to exclude the numbers already selected. or something? Can c@w fix this? Or is it just a lucky break for s-a-l and he gets two boxes crossed for the one find?

tronador
6500 or more caches found
6500 or more caches found

Post by tronador » 31 October 12 8:32 pm

Black Bunny wrote:
blossom* wrote:As long as you send any of the caches I need up to Sydney when necessary, you are quite welcome to do what you want with any of my caches that might turn up within reach :mrgreen:
So I suppose the shuttle service will be starting again soon, eh Blossom* :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Oh where is the like button!!!!

pjmpjm
6000 or more caches found
6000 or more caches found
Twitter: Booroobin

Sydney Area Bingo Enthusiasts

Post by pjmpjm » 31 October 12 8:39 pm

blossom* wrote:Whoops! The card for Strike-a-light has the number 10 on it twice. If this is a random number generator, I guess you need to exclude the numbers already selected. or something? Can c@w fix this? Or is it just a lucky break for s-a-l and he gets two boxes crossed for the one find?
Great to see some familiar names on the Bingo ladder!

Have got my first one ready, with a bit of coaching from rogerw3. Now I understand . . . #-o

Can't believe we're already approaching December 1st again . . .

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 31 October 12 9:14 pm

blossom* wrote:Whoops! The card for Strike-a-light has the number 10 on it twice. If this is a random number generator, I guess you need to exclude the numbers already selected. or something? Can c@w fix this? Or is it just a lucky break for s-a-l and he gets two boxes crossed for the one find?
Dang. I was using 0 to 100 to make the numbers, then shuffling the result. Strike-a-light got a 10 and a 100 but when it got listed in the card it ended up as 10 and 10. One 10 has now become 11.
Thanks for the headsup.

SeabreezeOZ
200 or more found
200 or more found

Post by SeabreezeOZ » 01 November 12 3:06 pm

My first time doing one of these, so Im still not sure how this works, even after reading CachingGames.com and the Forum posts but.........

Im just guessing that when someone moves your cache a certain amount of Klms eg 11ks, and if you have a bingo card with an 11, then that card gets a tick on that number, until your card is full. Is that correct?

Also, can the moveable cache be placed anywhere, as the frog cache game?

If so can you ask the next person to move your cache a certain distance so as to correspond with a bingo number you have?

Does it matter where the cache is placed for its initial release?

regards SeabreezeOZ

blossom*

Post by blossom* » 01 November 12 3:10 pm

mrlocks wrote:My first time doing one of these, so Im still not sure how this works, even after reading CachingGames.com and the Forum posts but.........

Im just guessing that when someone moves your cache a certain amount of Klms eg 11ks, and if you have a bingo card with an 11, then that card gets a tick on that number, until your card is full. Is that correct?

Also, can the moveable cache be placed anywhere, as the frog cache game?

If so can you ask the next person to move your cache a certain distance so as to correspond with a bingo number you have?

Does it matter where the cache is placed for its initial release?

regards SeabreezeOZ
The way you tick off the number in your box is by finding one of the game caches that ends with the 2 digits. eg if i want to cross off 84, I need to find GAxx84