Caching games this year?

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
nutwood
Posts: 393
Joined: 01 April 11 6:02 pm
Location: Tasmania

Re: Caching games this year?

Post by nutwood » 24 October 12 7:40 pm

budgietas wrote:I was wondering if someone would enter an old bomb car and get people to drive it a km down the road and then walk back to there transport. An expensive cache?
I've got one sitting there and seriously considered it. Legal complications with the 1km move have dissuaded me.

User avatar
CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Posts: 6971
Joined: 23 August 04 3:17 pm
Twitter: CraigRat
Facebook: http://facebook.com/CraigRat
Location: Launceston, TAS
Contact:

Re: Caching games this year?

Post by CraigRat » 24 October 12 8:56 pm

nutwood wrote:
budgietas wrote:I was wondering if someone would enter an old bomb car and get people to drive it a km down the road and then walk back to there transport. An expensive cache?
I've got one sitting there and seriously considered it. Legal complications with the 1km move have dissuaded me.
You'd end up parking it outside my house and I wouldn't realise it was for the game......... :lol: :lol: :lol:

User avatar
Cheesy pigs
3000 or more caches found
3000 or more caches found
Posts: 1738
Joined: 02 June 05 6:51 pm
Location: Kingston

Re: Caching games this year?

Post by Cheesy pigs » 24 October 12 9:09 pm

CraigRat wrote:
nutwood wrote:
budgietas wrote:I was wondering if someone would enter an old bomb car and get people to drive it a km down the road and then walk back to there transport. An expensive cache?
I've got one sitting there and seriously considered it. Legal complications with the 1km move have dissuaded me.
You'd end up parking it outside my house and I wouldn't realise it was for the game......... :lol: :lol: :lol:
I'd end up listing it and having the council tow and destroy it ;)

nutwood
Posts: 393
Joined: 01 April 11 6:02 pm
Location: Tasmania

Re: Caching games this year?

Post by nutwood » 24 October 12 9:25 pm

CraigRat wrote: You'd end up parking it outside my house and I wouldn't realise it was for the game......... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Actually I hadn't thought about that but you're right, except I'd start up parking it.....! :lol: :lol:
It'll be a Saturday, you don't need to get to work.. 1km, you'd only have to tow it out to Deviot Rd?

Laighside Legends
10000 or more caches found
10000 or more caches found
Posts: 1281
Joined: 05 October 10 10:20 pm
Location: Yorke Peninsula, South Australia

Re: Caching games this year?

Post by Laighside Legends » 24 October 12 10:27 pm

It did cross my mind (but in the form of a trailer)...
But who pays for rego? Petrol? And the parking tickets?
And if you leave the keys in a car on the side of the road it won't be there for long...

User avatar
blossom*
3000 or more caches found
3000 or more caches found
Posts: 1588
Joined: 25 February 09 1:59 pm
Location: West Ryde

Re: Caching games this year?

Post by blossom* » 25 October 12 8:31 am

Laighside Legends wrote:It did cross my mind (but in the form of a trailer)...
But who pays for rego? Petrol? And the parking tickets?
And if you leave the keys in a car on the side of the road it won't be there for long...
It would be ok if it was one of the "Getz" cars that are shared by various people. If you wanted to log it, you'd have to join up and rent it for an hour. Although they do have rules about where you're allowed to park so....maybe not

User avatar
quiet1_au
5500 or more caches found
5500 or more caches found
Posts: 338
Joined: 24 April 10 1:26 pm
Location: Box Hill South

Re: Caching games this year?

Post by quiet1_au » 25 October 12 11:13 pm

Image

:-$

User avatar
Cheesy pigs
3000 or more caches found
3000 or more caches found
Posts: 1738
Joined: 02 June 05 6:51 pm
Location: Kingston

Re: Caching games this year?

Post by Cheesy pigs » 26 October 12 7:49 am

As a rough guide this is the process in tasmania for vehicle (bikes trailers) and cars:

Anywhere from 2 hours to 5 days we start getting calls on it and a bike will be seized and taken to the station. A trailer or car will be checked for registered owner who will be contacted. If it isnt registered or the owner can't be contacted it is listed as an abandoned vehicle and the council are tasked to remove it.

If it was left and then moved a couple of km and left again that would get attention as a probable stolen vehicle. In that case even if you have the keys there would be questions to ask and they would probably be done under caution ;) you would be considered a car thief.

Transportation is a good idea for a theme, but anything larger than a skateboard will attract nervous nellies attention, and then police attention :)

nutwood
Posts: 393
Joined: 01 April 11 6:02 pm
Location: Tasmania

Re: Caching games this year?

Post by nutwood » 26 October 12 8:21 am

I reckon a bike would work but not in Tasmania. We considered it; an oldish bike, secured by a good chain and either the key under the seat or a combination lock. Would work in a bike friendly city, with lots of bike racks and other bicycles. The only way it would work in Tassie would be if you were hiding it in the bush; in town it'd stand out after the first night.
A car could be made to work but it'd be an expensive exercise. It'd have to be in good condition, with bomb proof insurance and then "hidden" in legitimate parking locations, such as airport parking and other long term parking spots or, of course, the finders driveway.

budgietas
7500 or more caches found
7500 or more caches found
Posts: 548
Joined: 25 January 10 9:35 pm
Location: Lenah Valley

Re: Caching games this year?

Post by budgietas » 27 October 12 5:57 am

nutwood wrote:I reckon a bike would work but not in Tasmania. We considered it; an oldish bike, secured by a good chain and either the key under the seat or a combination lock. Would work in a bike friendly city, with lots of bike racks and other bicycles. The only way it would work in Tassie would be if you were hiding it in the bush; in town it'd stand out after the first night.
A car could be made to work but it'd be an expensive exercise. It'd have to be in good condition, with bomb proof insurance and then "hidden" in legitimate parking locations, such as airport parking and other long term parking spots or, of course, the finders driveway.
Don't park it at the airport. The parking fee could be more than the car is worth!

User avatar
caughtatwork
Posts: 16207
Joined: 17 May 04 12:11 pm
Location: Melbourne
Contact:

Re: Caching games this year?

Post by caughtatwork » 28 October 12 5:56 pm

The game is up and ready to join.
I'll close this monster down and we can start in a new thread.

Locked