Caching games this year?

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
blossom*
3000 or more caches found

Re: Caching games this year?

Post by blossom* » 23 October 12 11:18 am

hookline wrote:Will there also be an enforced time limit rule? Meaning people have to re-hide within 2 days (or whatever the limit is) or it won't count?
I would think we'd still want rules such as re-hide within 2 days, must be at least 2 other finds since you last found it and the finder must hide it (ie no posting of caches via snail mail). And maybe this year a "must not leave Australia" rule since there is no benefit to travelling large distances this time. But c@w is suggesting we might be able to find our own cache this year which I would like just for a change :D

hookline

Post by hookline » 23 October 12 12:55 pm

blossom* wrote:
hookline wrote:Will there also be an enforced time limit rule? Meaning people have to re-hide within 2 days (or whatever the limit is) or it won't count?
I would think we'd still want rules such as re-hide within 2 days, must be at least 2 other finds since you last found it and the finder must hide it (ie no posting of caches via snail mail). And maybe this year a "must not leave Australia" rule since there is no benefit to travelling large distances this time. But c@w is suggesting we might be able to find our own cache this year which I would like just for a change :D
Yeah, I assumed all those rules would still be in place, but I was wondering if this time they would actually be 'enforced'? My experience of the last two games was that a lot of people pretty much ignored the rules, especially the '2-day' one. :roll: People were holding onto caches for days, weeks, way longer than necessary... (due to hoarding, laziness, forgetfulness, wanting to take them to a certain place at a certain time, etc, etc, myriad of other excuses. And I count myself among them :oops: ). So I was wondering if the time-limit rule could be like the 1km one, where you have to hide it within the time frame or you don't get a mark on your bingo card...

I agree with the caches not leaving Australia, too.

budgietas
10000 or more caches found

Post by budgietas » 23 October 12 4:42 pm

I know I had one for about a month - but purely for repairs as I had cracked him.

When he returned to circulation he was about 3 kgs heavier :-)

Cheesy pigs

Post by Cheesy pigs » 23 October 12 5:00 pm

Did you take him to cake stalls? lol

petan
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Location: One foot on either side of the border (SE Qld/NE NSW)

Post by petan » 23 October 12 6:35 pm

hookline wrote:
blossom* wrote:
Yeah, I assumed all those rules would still be in place, but I was wondering if this time they would actually be 'enforced'? My experience of the last two games was that a lot of people pretty much ignored the rules, especially the '2-day' one. :roll: People were holding onto caches for days, weeks, way longer than necessary... (due to hoarding, laziness, forgetfulness, wanting to take them to a certain place at a certain time, etc, etc, myriad of other excuses. And I count myself among them :oops: ). So I was wondering if the time-limit rule could be like the 1km one, where you have to hide it within the time frame or you don't get a mark on your bingo card...

I agree with the caches not leaving Australia, too.
The problem I see with actually enforcing a two day limit is that you might find some caches not moving too far from their origins.

For example, last year we headed down to Sydney taking some Queensland frogs with us and bringing some new frogs back. I picked up a bunch two days before we departed but didn't get to Parramatta Park until day three of our trip - five days between find and rehide. My reason for picking Parramatta Park is that there was a population which could be swapped over (new blood for old). Likewise, it was probably at least another 4 days from pickup before I could take the PP frogs and put them in spots which would be easily accessible for the SEQ players. Keeping in mind that I am almost 100km dead set in between the Lismore froggers and Brisbane froggers. So dropping them in my front yard would mean that they would have 'sat' for much much longer than spending that extra day or so before we headed south or north.

By making it a hard and fast rule, the total of 8 or so moves I made would have been ineligible - yet we wanted new frogs to play with. My preference would be to call it a 2 day rule, encouraging people to move them within the 48 hours, but if the game software was to actually track the days between hiding and finding - then build in a little lenancy. Obviously anything over a week is just too long.

I keep on seeing these games as a giant chess game - its interesting to think through the strategies - looking several moves ahead, especially when there are limited players in a particular area.
Last edited by petan on 23 October 12 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Twitter: CraigRat
Facebook: http://facebook.com/CraigRat

Post by CraigRat » 23 October 12 6:37 pm

Can we also ban them from Darwin and QLD this year?

They seemed to be dead ends for movables last year!!

:D :D :D :D

(said somewhat in jest, settle down)

petan
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Location: One foot on either side of the border (SE Qld/NE NSW)

Post by petan » 23 October 12 6:43 pm

CraigRat wrote:Can we also ban them from Darwin and QLD this year?

They seemed to be dead ends for movables last year!!

:D :D :D :D

(said somewhat in jest, settle down)
Hey... I'm trying my best to build interesting amongst the Queensland Geocaching Facebook community. And I thought I did my best in keeping them moving and circulating.

(taken in the spirit of the original post)

But yes, it is a game where the more players involved the more fun it is.

hookline

Post by hookline » 23 October 12 7:20 pm

petan wrote: The problem I see with actually enforcing a two day limit is that you might find some caches not moving too far from their origins.
I agree that 2 days is a bit too short, and one week is too long... maybe a 4 day max limit? Should be enough time to get them reasonably far? And repairs would have to be done in that time too...

gmj3191
7500 or more caches found
7500 or more caches found

Post by gmj3191 » 23 October 12 7:47 pm

hookline wrote:
petan wrote: The problem I see with actually enforcing a two day limit is that you might find some caches not moving too far from their origins.
I agree that 2 days is a bit too short, and one week is too long... maybe a 4 day max limit? Should be enough time to get them reasonably far? And repairs would have to be done in that time too...
Hopefully transport themed caches will be more robust than frogs and gnomes, which needed logs stored in places where they don't naturally go.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 23 October 12 8:40 pm

I can't enforce a "day move rule". I can only out it out there and hope people follow it. I'll probably leave a specific day out, but suggest that people move them along "in a reasonable timeframe, like 2 or 3 days".

nutwood

Post by nutwood » 23 October 12 9:16 pm

We're very much looking forward to 1/12/12. It's going to be very interesting to see how this game pans out.
Previously I was very impressed by the frogs (we missed the gnomes :( ) as being close to the perfect game. The harder you play, the more you benefit your opponents. What a beautiful concept; and achieved so simply.
Our transportable, transport based caches will be panting at the starting line come December one. We may however need a new smiley, on roller skates!

g_ordo
500 or more caches logged
500 or more caches logged

Post by g_ordo » 24 October 12 2:59 pm

If anyone had a larger Cache in mind, I saw this in the savers store on Sydney rd Brunswick, $50

Cheers Gordo

GJMMelb

Post by GJMMelb » 24 October 12 5:50 pm

caughtatwork wrote: As for theme.
Let's go with "transportation".
Transportation should be interpreted widely.
Bikes, cars (matchbox or full size), wheelchairs, crutches, planes, trains, roller skates / blades, ships, prosthetic legs, etc, etc.
Be as wild as you like.
MMelb has decided he wants to enter a Tardis .... Dr Who's transport!! :-)

nutwood

Post by nutwood » 24 October 12 6:39 pm

GJMMelb wrote:
caughtatwork wrote: As for theme.
Let's go with "transportation".
Transportation should be interpreted widely.
Bikes, cars (matchbox or full size), wheelchairs, crutches, planes, trains, roller skates / blades, ships, prosthetic legs, etc, etc.
Be as wild as you like.
MMelb has decided he wants to enter a Tardis .... Dr Who's transport!! :-)
Hmmm, that should test the rules; still in the same place but has been hidden before it was found? Thirty six times!! #-o

budgietas

Post by budgietas » 24 October 12 7:20 pm

I was wondering if someone would enter an old bomb car and get people to drive it a km down the road and then walk back to there transport. An expensive cache?