Caches to Nuvi 1450

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
Richary
8000 or more caches found

Caches to Nuvi 1450

Post by Richary » 14 May 12 10:29 pm

Since getting the new Nuvi I've been looking at the best way to get caches into it. What I would really like is them just to show up on the map as I get close like they used to on the TomTom, and preferabley show the name of the cache if I tap that point on the map.

Googling suggested I should generate a GPX file and copy it into the /Garmin/GPX directory on the unit. That's fine, but generating a GPX file out of GSAK for NSW (for my unfounds and not including mystery) still generates a 35 MB file even when saying not to include logs. And seems to make the map load take a bit longer.

When just scrolling maps the caches just show up as small dots rather than a decent icon, I've yet to drive past any I haven't found to see how it looks while navigating. But as it looks like I get a drive to Orange next week I thought I would see how other people load caches to the thing. I don't need any details on the cache apart from the name, that's all in the iPhone.

PesceVerde
700 or more Caches found
700 or more Caches  found

Re: Caches to Nuvi 1450

Post by PesceVerde » 15 May 12 1:37 pm

Hi. When the nuvi is pressed into action, I set GSAK's GPS>Setup to the Make and Model (Garmin. nuvi 1450 (1450T ?).), and change the (GPS>Send Waypoints...) Waypoint Name field (from " %code ") to something like " %code,%smart " without the quotes, and leave the Waypoint Description field at " %Name ". Waypoint/Geocache icons appear on nuvi screen, and caches are also searchable via Favourites.

Usually keep the number of caches per outing to about 1200-1500 (about 7MB), and Send straight from GSAK to GPSr. Then afterwards (Edit: when the file's no longer needed) remove the file waypoints.gpx from folder Garmin>Garmin>GPX
This works for me. :)

Richary

Post by Richary » 16 May 12 12:09 am

Thanks, I saw the cache icons coming up today but when I pressed them I only got the code rather than the name, I will have to tweak the settings. Orange next week maybe and NZ the week after (another reason I bought it - it came with the NZ maps), so cache icons will be useful while driving around.

Richary

Post by Richary » 20 May 12 11:12 pm

I've managed to persuade the 1450 to display the name rather than the code, but on a drive to the Blue Mountains it stopped showing caches.

After lots of googling it appears the unit may only display 1000 favourites which is annoying as the old TomTom would quite happily handle me NSW unfound database. And I can easily move with little warning outside my 1000 unfound range.

I have been creating a GPX file and loading it into the GPX directory on the unit, does anyone have a better method on the Nuvis? Can I have multiple files in there recognised?

Dooghan

Post by Dooghan » 21 May 12 10:25 pm

I'm using a 60CSx so this could be different for the Nuvis. What about a POI file (Points of Interest). Just get GSAK to make one for you and put it into POI directory on the GPS or SD card. Waypoints should be just about unlimited and fast. You may have to give GSAK a cache BMP icon file so a cache box shows on the screen. I have code and smart name show on the screen. You can have name only if you want. Give that a try.
Last edited by Dooghan on 23 May 12 5:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Richary

Post by Richary » 22 May 12 11:49 pm

Apparently when stored as POIs they only show when you zoom right in on the Nuvi. No good for driving along. It's a balance, apparently you can store more info in a POI, but as a favourite they show up better on the maps as you drive along.

The Swaggies
3000 or more caches found

Post by The Swaggies » 24 September 12 11:52 pm

Richary wrote:After lots of googling it appears the unit may only display 1000 favourites which is annoying as the old TomTom would quite happily handle me NSW unfound database. And I can easily move with little warning outside my 1000 unfound range.

I have been creating a GPX file and loading it into the GPX directory on the unit, does anyone have a better method on the Nuvis? Can I have multiple files in there recognised?
Although my post is a bit late, I hope you have found a solution to this problem, otherwise.......

I have had mine for about a year now and it would have been the worst choice of incar GPS for geocaching that I have ever made. :cry:

The 1450T it would appear will only take 500 caches in a GPX file and about a 1000 caches as POI's. However I found a really good macro on the GSAK forum called "nuvifavoriteexportgpx.gsk" by Luxusweibchen which I have used for some time now. :D

However when I went to run it tonite I got a message saying (I think) that this macro will be disabled or not useable or not supported and you run it at it's your own risk. Which is a pity as it is the best thing invented for the 1450T that I have come across.

Still I ran it and it seemed to work so far. :mrgreen:

The Swaggies

Post by The Swaggies » 12 October 12 10:41 pm

PesceVerde wrote:Usually keep the number of caches per outing to about 1200-1500 (about 7MB), and Send straight from GSAK to GPSr. Then afterwards (Edit: when the file's no longer needed) remove the file waypoints.gpx from folder Garmin>Garmin>GPX
This works for me. :)

Now PesceVerde since my last post the macro does not work anymore and so I tried your method above and it seems to work, I will see on Sunday.

I know how to delete the "waypoints.gpx" file from the Garmin GPX directory, however do you delete the file called "current.gpx" as well? This seems to cause a problem as it can contain all the previous caches that you may have loaded in the last gpx file upload but now want to delete.

And then there are other GPX files in the "Archive" directory as well, do I delete them as well?

PesceVerde
700 or more Caches found

Post by PesceVerde » 13 October 12 1:34 am

Hi. The best meathod I found was have one GPS setup just for caching.

My nuvi had/has an annoying 'feature' of auto-copying info in .GPX files to other user folders and also to it's own onboard memory. I remove unwanted GPX files from the nuvi and Reset to factory defaults every couple of outings to clear the onboard memory.

It seems easier now to use one handheld for street directions, and a second handheld for GZ. They're better IMO to edit after a day's caching. The nuvi still pays it's way though, usually on the Darkside. :arrow: :)
Cheers.

From memory, current.GPX also contains the current Track info.

BaldEd
6500 or more caches found

Post by BaldEd » 13 October 12 3:39 pm

The nuvi uses a basically similar file structure to that of the newer Garmin handhelds.

My Garmin handhelds (78s and Montana 650t) contain only track log data in the Current.gpx file - that's all I save in there, I don't save/load routes. Geocaches are saved in a separate gpx sub-folder.

I don't use my nuvi 1390 for geocaching (that's what the handhelds are for). When I view the nuvi 1390's Current.gpx file in Mapsource I see that it stores both the last 40 track logs plus Favourites waypoints. It seems can store routes too - but I don't use/save/load routes. I'm not sure how many Favourites waypoints it can save, but would guess probably only 500 - should probably go RTFM! :oops:

The Swaggies

Post by The Swaggies » 13 October 12 10:45 pm

I dont use the nuvi to find the cache, I have a Dakota & an Oregon to do that. But I do use it in the burbs for navigating through the maze of side streets to the closest point to the intended cache that we want to get. This seems (to me) to be better than balancing the laptop on ones knee whilst driving or squinting at the small Oregon screen whilst driving.

If the nuvi stores caches the same way as the Montana then I had better look after the gps that I already have!

If I do a factory reset every couple of weeks, wont that also delete the updated maps in the nuvi?

I do not save routes either so if it is doing that then I may have to look at stopping it from doing that!

PesceVerde
700 or more Caches found

Post by PesceVerde » 14 October 12 1:36 pm

Hi. Preferences and Waypoints/Favourites are erased. My maps (pre-installed and added maps) aren't erased but have to be deselected at Tools>Settings>Map>Info, after a hard reset. There's always some degree of risk but I've never had a problem with it.

Auto-routing, turn-by-beep maps on the handheld/s for street nav. is a good compromise but the nuvi has a bigger brighter screen and turn-by-voice. Six of one and half dozen of the other I guess.
:)

BaldEd

Post by BaldEd » 14 October 12 4:04 pm

PesceVerde wrote: Auto-routing, turn-by-beep maps on the handheld/s for street nav. is a good compromise but the nuvi has a bigger brighter screen and turn-by-voice.
:-" Montana's auto-route, have a big bright screen AND turn by voice. :D