Those Badges and those Darned logs!

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
Zalgariath
5500 or more caches found
5500 or more caches found

Re: Those Badges and those Darned logs!

Post by Zalgariath » 08 October 12 12:09 pm

I used a themed template log for an Invasion event a year or two back which I thought was pretty humorous. It was actually so I ensured I got as much hard cache data about the hunt as possible for the next finder (search time, hazards etc). I continued with it for a while afterwards but retired it after a month or so when I learned GPS's dont like dot pointed spaced out logs... was never a problem for me on the A50 ;) Im with Lemmy... the more effort you put into a cache, the more I'll put into my log.

belken

Post by belken » 08 October 12 6:21 pm

Zalgariath wrote:I used a themed template log for an Invasion event a year or two back which I thought was pretty humorous. It was actually so I ensured I got as much hard cache data about the hunt as possible for the next finder (search time, hazards etc). I continued with it for a while afterwards but retired it after a month or so when I learned GPS's dont like dot pointed spaced out logs... was never a problem for me on the A50 ;) Im with Lemmy... the more effort you put into a cache, the more I'll put into my log.
I owuld have agreed if that was what Lemmy said. What he said was far from that though.

gmj3191
7500 or more caches found

Post by gmj3191 » 08 October 12 7:06 pm

If you have to resort to reading logs to find a cache, you've entered a zone where life wasn't meant to be easy.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 08 October 12 7:16 pm

Hoojar wrote:Can anyone generate (without imploding a computer) a statistic on the average log length on all caches active in Australia?
37 words is the average. So if you're writing more than that, you're waffling and if you're writing less, you're a TFTC low life loser. 37 is the target people. Don't make me come over there.

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Twitter: CraigRat
Facebook: http://facebook.com/CraigRat

Post by CraigRat » 08 October 12 7:29 pm

caughtatwork wrote:
Hoojar wrote:Can anyone generate (without imploding a computer) a statistic on the average log length on all caches active in Australia?
37 words is the average. So if you're writing more than that, you're waffling and if you're writing less, you're a TFTC low life loser. 37 is the target people. Don't make me come over there.
He said 'without imploding a computer'

I just got a few warnings about CPU loading while I was out walking, I presume YOU were the cause??? :lol:

Taz
400 or more spectacular views seen
400 or more spectacular views seen

Post by Taz » 08 October 12 7:29 pm

I think the OP was just about long wordy logs that are copied and pasted over and over so you get the exact thing on a run of caches and I can understand that.

Can I also add that the same can be said about cache Posters!! I get it that you have done a series of caches in a beautiful and historic part of the shoreline, I understand that you find it particularly wonderful. But PLEASE!!! Don't copy and past the same looong gushing stuff on every cache you do in the area without giving any idea of what we are actually looking for in the description! I recently did a run away from home and was frustrated to find the same long description on several caches with maybe a line or two at the end about the cache. Sometimes no clue which is fine as long as there is something about the actual cache in the description.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 08 October 12 7:33 pm

CraigRat wrote:
caughtatwork wrote:

I just got a few warnings about CPU loading while I was out walking, I presume YOU were the cause??? :lol:
Not the sole cause, a mere contributor. While I was doing some calcs, someone ran in a GPX file so the two sort of clashed. Like the LHC, no real damage done :mrgreen:

gmj3191

Post by gmj3191 » 08 October 12 9:29 pm

caughtatwork wrote:
CraigRat wrote:
caughtatwork wrote:

Not the sole cause, a mere contributor. While I was doing some calcs, someone ran in a GPX file so the two sort of clashed. Like the LHC, no real damage done :mrgreen:
You sound like the Citylink CEO !

Hoojar
5000 or more caches found

Post by Hoojar » 09 October 12 9:46 am

caughtatwork wrote:
Excellent. Now can you crunch a standard deviation :-p

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 09 October 12 9:53 am

Hoojar wrote:
caughtatwork wrote:
If it's useful to you I can, otherwise =; :mrgreen:

Marcus Vitruvius

Post by Marcus Vitruvius » 09 October 12 11:30 am

caughtatwork wrote: 37 words is the average. So if you're writing more than that, you're waffling and if you're writing less, you're a TFTC low life loser. 37 is the target people. Don't make me come over there.
http://geocaching.com.au/cacher/statist ... rk/general

A case of do as I say...not as I do huh! :D

Hoojar

Post by Hoojar » 09 October 12 12:21 pm

caughtatwork wrote:
Hoojar wrote:
caughtatwork wrote:
Only from a curiosity point of view, and I was wondering how far you could push the crunching before breaking something :-p

gmj3191

Post by gmj3191 » 09 October 12 1:42 pm

Hoojar wrote:
caughtatwork wrote:
Hoojar wrote:
caughtatwork wrote:
Only from a curiosity point of view, and I was wondering how far you could push the crunching before breaking something :-p
Typical Client.

day1976

Post by day1976 » 10 October 12 8:18 am

Well I admit it. Guilty as charged your honor! As a newbie, sometimes the cumulative enjoyment of finding multiple containers on a single day is greater than that of any particular cache. There is a saying that "Happiness is not a destination, but the journey." Cutting and pasting this experience onto each log is just expressing the happiness of the day out caching. Following this I always try and write some kind words about the experience of each individual cache, sometimes the actual cache can also provide a wonderful experience, and this will be reflected in the log. However, there is only so much you can write about a plastic container hidden underneath a piece of bark at the base of a tree in a car park. I had no idea that this irked others so much, maybe I should just stick to TFTC. :cry:

Yurt
4500 or more caches found
4500 or more caches found

Post by Yurt » 10 October 12 8:42 am

Quite a few people preface every log with "This is my 409th overall find" or words to that effect. Why do people need to know the number of each find? Just curious.