Munzees!

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
Tuena
6500 or more caches found

Re: Munzees!

Post by Tuena » 25 September 12 3:44 pm

Purchased a Smart Phone & decided I'd test this Munzee business, might even go & officially find one of fluffyfish's munzees.

Downloaded to phone & laptop & was surprised that there was one nearby. Enabled the GPS on the phone, downloaded some speech thing & it told me where to go. Unfortunately when I got there it said I'd arrived whereas I was just standing on the grass in a park. A picture of a tree appeared on the screen which I recognised but the hint was "look under".

Is this as accurate as I can expect?

Can Munzees be downloaded to my Magellan?

There was no arrow (Garmin) or blue line (Magellan), no distance count down, nothing much other than an arcane voice & the picture.

As an experiment I pressed the capture button but got an error - sorry the Android phone encountered a problem. You may need to restart the device. I did but same error.

Pressed Hunt & there are five nearby.

Any advice would be appreciated - thanks.

juc_cacher

Post by juc_cacher » 25 September 12 3:52 pm

Tuena wrote:Purchased a Smart Phone & decided I'd test this Munzee business, might even go & officially find one of fluffyfish's munzees.

Downloaded to phone & laptop & was surprised that there was one nearby. Enabled the GPS on the phone, downloaded some speech thing & it told me where to go. Unfortunately when I got there it said I'd arrived whereas I was just standing on the grass in a park. A picture of a tree appeared on the screen which I recognised but the hint was "look under".

Is this as accurate as I can expect?

Can Munzees be downloaded to my Magellan?

There was no arrow (Garmin) or blue line (Magellan), no distance count down, nothing much other than an arcane voice & the picture.

As an experiment I pressed the capture button but got an error - sorry the Android phone encountered a problem. You may need to restart the device. I did but same error.

Pressed Hunt & there are five nearby.

Any advice would be appreciated - thanks.
Without knowing the hider, I can say that GPS coords for mobiles aren't necessarily as accurate as they could be.

Common hides are under benches, backs of signs, bottom surface of railings etc, so if there were any of those, or similar objects in the vicinity, they're worth a look.

There is a way to download a GPX file of Munzees. I have them in my TomTom in the car. Try this website: http://munzee.dfx.at/. You'll still need the phone to capture though.

Not sure about the error, you should see a "live" image from the camera as it searches for the QR code.

Hope this helps.

Tuena

Post by Tuena » 25 September 12 4:13 pm

Tried that website, adjusted distance from home to < 8 Ks which is the furtherest one of the 5 I mentioned above is from home but Munzee produced a 59Mb file containing 204,000 records so cancelled download.

I'll wander down to the park again, look under some benches & try & take a photo.

Ta

juc_cacher

Post by juc_cacher » 25 September 12 5:04 pm

If you hit "Find this Munzee", rather than "Navigate to", you do get a compas of sorts and a distance to the coordinates. That combined with zooming in on the google map/satellite view is usualy enough to get you close enough to spot the obvious hides

Tuena

Post by Tuena » 25 September 12 6:39 pm

Looked for three, all DNFs.

The co-ords for the one in the park using either the phone or the Magellan lead me to a patch of grass so looked under any & all benches incl. some in a rotunda. I checked location via Google Earth but too blurry to be of any use.

Then went to an historic cemetery which only has one sign (hint was 'on back of sign') but nothing there other than some gunk that may have been the glue.

Then off to one near where I have hidden a geocache & used both phone & Magellan - nothing adhered to the back of anything near GZ.

How do I record DNFs so that the owners will be altered to the possibility their Munzee's are missing?

juc_cacher

Post by juc_cacher » 25 September 12 6:45 pm

Tuena wrote:Looked for three, all DNFs.

The co-ords for the one in the park using either the phone or the Magellan lead me to a patch of grass so looked under any & all benches incl. some in a rotunda. I checked location via Google Earth but too blurry to be of any use.

Then went to an historic cemetery which only has one sign (hint was 'on back of sign') but nothing there other than some gunk that may have been the glue.

Then off to one near where I have hidden a geocache & used both phone & Magellan - nothing adhered to the back of anything near GZ.

How do I record DNFs so that the owners will be altered to the possibility their Munzee's are missing?
Hmm...from memory, you do it via a journal entry and there is an option for what type of journal.

Yep, just checked on my phone, this is the way.

You can do the same via the website.

fluffyfish
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!

Post by fluffyfish » 25 September 12 11:55 pm

Hey Tuena, you have already found one of my GCA munzees in the Botanic Gardens and there is the 2nd ever Australia munzee in my Port Kembla GCA cache. At least you won't have to hunt around. There is a few around Port Kembla but not sure how many left.

Feel free to pm or txt for any clues to finding them.

juc_cacher

Post by juc_cacher » 20 November 12 11:11 pm

Well, that was a disappointing experience...hopefully someone can tell me I did something wrong. If not, Munzee has some serious shortcomings in the offline stakes.

I was in the US for a conference last week and I have roaming data turned off on the phone, so couldn't do any Munzees "live".

I knew there was a Munzee in the info centre next door to the conference centre, so I used the conference wifi to open the Munzee app, load the list and bring up the particular one, then went next door to try and capture it...no dice..had to be less than 300 feet away, so I allowed the GPS to settle and tried again..all good, but no data connection, so the find went into the offline queue. Back next door and into the wifi zone, I expected the queue to be processed, as it has in the past when mobile coverage has been bad at the Munzee itself.

But no, it then said I had to be closer than 300 feet, denied the find and purged the queue. It did this three times.

I gave up and came home from Salt Lake City with a bunch of cache smileys, but not one single solitary Munzee.

Zalgariath
5500 or more caches found

Post by Zalgariath » 24 November 12 6:15 pm

SOunds like the munzee was near or under a building? Possible that screwed around with the GPS?

Cheesy pigs
3000 or more caches found
3000 or more caches found

Post by Cheesy pigs » 24 November 12 9:26 pm

I don't know if this is true elsewhere but in Tassie we are seeing munzees placed at GZ of caches, and on at least one occasion, the GZ of a multi cache. I wasn't really impressed with that I must admit

Zalgariath

Post by Zalgariath » 24 November 12 9:40 pm

Yes, there were some turning up in OTHER PEOPLES caches in Sydney for a while. No one was very happy about it to be sure! A polite word to the person, who was a cacher, and it stopped. Poor form I say! Munzees in your caches = good, in others, ask permission!

A bit of a grey area exists "near" cachers. Personally Id not hide a Munzee within 20m or so of an existing cache (that isnt mine) and usually a bit further even. But then I GC/GCA/Munzee.... so Im reasonably secure in knowing if a spot is taken or not by another branch of the geo-location games.

While a lot (most) of Munzeers ARE cachers... not all are, and a heap may not GCA. So, it is exactly like GC vs GCA when 2 caches get placed next to each other, the other person may be unaware of the original cache/munzees etc existance. I know I have had several Munzees out for a few months, then a cacher comes and dumps a box almost on top of them! No fault, they didnt know the QR was there ;)

Yurt
4500 or more caches found
4500 or more caches found

Post by Yurt » 11 January 13 6:08 pm

Are munzees dead around here (Sydney)? I deployed four of them but in that time they only got a total of about seven finds. I just archived one that went missing and only had one find. I only log them if I find them right by a cache, haven't gone out looking for them for a while.

'Real' caches keep me busy enough anyway.

spatialriq

Post by spatialriq » 11 January 13 7:03 pm

Well judging by the Australian munzee facebook page, the hotspots are Perth, Tasmania, Albury/Wodonga and Wagga/Wagga (thanks to an abundance of mystery munzees).

Even as an avid cacher (both GC and GCA) I do like the ease of the munzee deploy. While on holidays overseas I put out plenty but didn't put out any caches ... bit hard to maintain from afar. Always interesting to see someone finding my munzee in Auckland, San Fran, Phoenix or Savannah :)

Richary
8000 or more caches found
8000 or more caches found

Post by Richary » 11 January 13 11:15 pm

Yurt wrote:Are munzees dead around here (Sydney)? I deployed four of them but in that time they only got a total of about seven finds. I just archived one that went missing and only had one find. I only log them if I find them right by a cache, haven't gone out looking for them for a while.

'Real' caches keep me busy enough anyway.
Same here. If I spot one inside a cache I will scan it, but if I am somewhere different I don't even think of firing up the application to see if there is one nearby.

tronador

Post by tronador » 12 January 13 10:35 am

I'll scan it if I find it by mistake. I find I can't navigate to them, the only option that always opens is the Google car navigation thingy. The app doesn't have a compass like GA cacher or C: Geo. I find it rather annoying trying to guess where a munzee is from the hint. So I don't bother.