geocaching.com.au in the Australian

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
The Garner Family
1100 or more caches found
1100 or more caches found

geocaching.com.au in the Australian

Post by The Garner Family » 14 December 04 9:39 am

Congrats on getting a mention in todays <a href="http://australianit.news.com.au/article ... tralian</a>
<p>
Geocaching Australia (geocaching.com.au) advises cachers to avoid appearing to act suspiciously while tracking locations in public areas.

The site also suggests that caches should not be set up in environmentally sensitive locations, and that caches shouldn't contain items that could contribute to a bushfire.

Cached
2500 or more caches found

Post by Cached » 14 December 04 10:06 am

What a great article.

I have been approached to provide advice on an article about caching for a new Adelaide Broadsheet, The Sunday Independant.

Not sure which way to point them yet...

Aushiker
350 ? I am the lizard queen
Twitter: Aushiker

Post by Aushiker » 14 December 04 11:55 am

Thanks for sharing the link.
<p>But where did Mr Fordham get this idea from "Apart from a collection of rewards (usually sweets), caches contain a logbook in which players can report their success." "Usually sweets"? I thought food was a no no or don't we consider sweets food?
<p>
Andrew

Lt. Sniper
Outdoor Adventurer

Post by Lt. Sniper » 14 December 04 12:18 pm

Maybe we should provide a PR friendly sheet for new people to read, I think the stash notes we put in caches are written for kids to read, itÂ’s so watered down.

We need something a reporter for instance can read that will help then make an article.

If you read something in a newspaper about people using a GPS to find sweets then you would be like "....ok then........"

Snuva
1500 or more caches found
1500 or more caches found
Twitter: Snuva

Post by Snuva » 14 December 04 12:50 pm

Aushiker wrote:Thanks for sharing the link.
<p>But where did Mr Fordham get this idea from "Apart from a collection of rewards (usually sweets), caches contain a logbook in which players can report their success." "Usually sweets"? I thought food was a no no or don't we consider sweets food?
<p>
Andrew
<P>Probably just hungry when he wrote the item and it was wishful thinking! Or someone said 'goodies' to him and that's his interpretation!

Bronze

Post by Bronze » 14 December 04 2:20 pm

Good spotting,

I was quite impressed with the level of research and the understanding conveyed. A good article.

I agree - some welcome post for those coming in from the article would be a good addition for the short term. Any idea what page it featued on. I don't have the Australian at my work. only the Tele.

Bronze.

Aushiker
Twitter: Aushiker

Post by Aushiker » 14 December 04 2:26 pm

Bronze wrote:I agree - some welcome post for those coming in from the article would be a good addition for the short term. Any idea what page it featued on. I don't have the Australian at my work. only the Tele.
Bronze.
<p>
It was in a lift out, titled "itAlive", on page five of same.
<p>
Andrew

Cached

Post by Cached » 14 December 04 2:53 pm

I actually thought that "Sweets" was a good choice of words as it didn't give the impression that there may be anything of value in the caches.

Which decreased the muggle factor of the article.

Team Red Devil
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

Post by Team Red Devil » 14 December 04 4:36 pm

But with inferring that we chase around the country for 'sweets' - it makes us look a litle bit silly if you ask me. <br> :lol:

EcoTeam
200 or more found
200 or more found
Twitter: EEVblog

Post by EcoTeam » 14 December 04 5:58 pm

Lt. Sniper wrote:Maybe we should provide a PR friendly sheet for new people to read, I think the stash notes we put in caches are written for kids to read, itÂ’s so watered down.

We need something a reporter for instance can read that will help then make an article.
Good idea.
A "media" page would be a good idea.
With descriptions and quotes they can download, and maybe some stock images they could use?
That way if any of us get approached we can simply point them to the page and they can get a cohesive story every time with all the info they need.

EcoDave :)

Webguy
2100 or more geocaches found

Post by Webguy » 14 December 04 6:06 pm

Team Red Devil wrote:But with inferring that we chase around the country for 'sweets' - it makes us look a litle bit silly if you ask me. <br> :lol:
But, Mindsocket does that anyways, but, he never shares them. :(

ToolkiT

Post by ToolkiT » 14 December 04 11:30 pm

Team Red Devil wrote:But with inferring that we chase around the country for 'sweets' - it makes us look a litle bit silly if you ask me. <br> :lol:
We look silly regardless ;)

aloysius
250 or more caches found
250 or more caches found

Post by aloysius » 14 December 04 11:37 pm

AS opposed to chasing around the country for a scented candle or toy car....? :lol: :lol: :wink:

Webguy

Post by Webguy » 14 December 04 11:39 pm

Don't start picking on scented candles, one of the few things that can survive a cache flooding. :D

ideology

Post by ideology » 15 December 04 7:49 am

awesome! if anyone wants to draft up a media sheet, let us know!