FTF Prizes - Usual Practice

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
2max
1 or more caches found
1 or more caches found

FTF Prizes - Usual Practice

Post by 2max » 09 August 12 7:54 pm

Had a look to see if this has been asked before and couldn't find anything, so apologies if it has.

I'm just after thoughts about FTF prizes. Are they expected? Should all caches have them as a matter of courtesy? Is it considered bad form to not have something special for the FTF?

We've put out 7 caches now and have included a FTF prize in all but one. The one that didn't have a prize was put out on the spur of the moment at a great little historical spot we happened to be passing by. Just so happened I had a couple of caches in the boot of the car all kitted out with log book, pen and swag. Searched the car for something to leave as a prize but didn't have anything exciting, and nowhere near a shop I could duck into. The cache is an hour away, but at a place I visit every month so no issues with being able to maintain - but far enough away that I couldn't duck home either. So I've been feeling really bad ever since and feeling like I might be considered scungy! #-o

Then we were lucky enough to get a FTF on another cache. (Our very first FTF!) But there was no prize. So now I'm wondering if I have been stressing for no reason? The cache we had a FTF on was from someone who has been caching a lot longer than us, and has been FTF on lots of caches themselves (including one of ours). So is the real prize amongst the more experienced cachers, and those who have been at it for a long time, just the honour of being the first in the log book? Are there generally more caches with, or without, FTF prizes?

Marcus Vitruvius
5000 or more caches found
5000 or more caches found

Re: FTF Prizes - Usual Practice

Post by Marcus Vitruvius » 09 August 12 8:19 pm

An interesting question! Expected...certainly not! A nice gesture...absolutely. Others can correct me if they disagree, but usually FTF prizes are more common in those caches where some effort is required by the finder to find it...whether it be a difficult puzzle...hard terrain...long distance to travel. Personally speaking...I have only placed a FTF prize in 3 of my caches...and each one of those take a decent amount of effort to find them. Some are quite extravagant (for a box in the bush), and others are simple (down to scratchies), but all are very welcome. If it is a simple cache to find, usually not...but don't let that deter you from placing one in there anywhere. If you want to place a prize...go for it...The person who is FTF will certainly appreciate it.

Calypso62

Post by Calypso62 » 09 August 12 10:43 pm

I have placed 3 x $1 Scratchies as a FTF prize in all my caches as a way of simply saying thank you for being the first to get out there and hunt it down. It's just a small thing but I like to do it and it certainly is not mandatory to have FTF prizes.

Dooghan

Post by Dooghan » 09 August 12 10:57 pm

I've put in FTF prizes in hard and easy to find caches. It depends on how I feel at the time and if I want to. I've never felt like I should do it. I've also left FTF prizes for the next cacher to collect. Not that I didn't like or want the prize. Spread the prizes around to people that may be unlucky in getting a FTF

Richary
8000 or more caches found
8000 or more caches found

Post by Richary » 09 August 12 11:47 pm

I generally haven't, but that said in certain places the local practice may differ. I believe in Perth it was common (and expected) to put a certificate in for the FTFer. Also as a finder I have sometimes found 3 hides by the one person (all FTF) in a trip, and only bothered taking the scratchie FTF prize from the first one, leaving the others for the next person along.

It's a nice gesture, as mentioned generally more appreciated on a tough cache rather than a box under the closet bush style. But for those who prize FTF, it's the name in the logbook that counts. But a prize can be a nice little extra reward after a hard bush slog or something to get that nice clean logbook thrill.

Yurt
4500 or more caches found
4500 or more caches found

Post by Yurt » 10 August 12 12:08 pm

In the regular sized caches we were putting FTF pathtags in as a prize. Sometimes the FTF didn't know what it was and left it behind or missed it leaving the 2TF in a quandary!

FTF pathtags are available from the Geocaching Australia shop! (free plug)

oldfella
10000 or more caches found

Post by oldfella » 10 August 12 12:46 pm

I have developed a philosophy of placing a FTF gift in all my hides if the container is small or larger. For small and regular containers I usually leave an unregistered geocoin, because those I have plenty of. For regualr and Large containers I leave a small gift that I have aquired from one source or another,like a led torch etc. Foe difficult finds I leave somethng better usually costing me abt ten dollars. I have had a penchant in the past for nano and micro containers but from now on all my containers will be small or larger. I am about to unleash some small and regular hides in Toowoomba and they will have FTF gifts in them This is to say thanks to all the hiders of the seventy or so hides in the area allready.
Just my 2cents worth

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 10 August 12 2:04 pm

I think you should leave one of these.
http://geocaching.com.au/shop/index.php ... duct_id=60
:mrgreen:

Laighside Legends

Post by Laighside Legends » 10 August 12 7:48 pm

caughtatwork wrote:I think you should leave one of these.
They are the only things I've ever left as FTF prizes...

oldfella

Post by oldfella » 10 August 12 8:39 pm

In addition to my previous post. Of course C@W I do leave those on a regular basis so how else can I use up what I have purchased from the shop so I can buy some more. More shinys would be welcome.

2max
1 or more caches found
1 or more caches found

Post by 2max » 10 August 12 9:43 pm

Thanks so much everyone for your input and thoughts. It's great to have some idea of what others do and to know that prizes aren't necessarily expected, just a bonus to have. Three of the FTF prizes we've already hidden in our caches have been GCA pathtags (2 were the FTF pathtags and one was the basic GCA pathtag) so we've already gone down that path ;) \:D/

I'm thinking that I would like to keep putting prizes in our caches but now I know not to stress if it doesn't quite pan out that way. I think the scratchies idea is fantastic too, and something that I could try and have on hand.

We've got some more idea's of great local places to show the caching community, including one spot that we know is out there somewhere, but are having trouble finding anyone who seems to know exactly where it is. The site is out in the bush and has a great story connected to it that happened back in the 1970's, so definitely plan to have a decent prize for that one... provided we can even find it! #-o

nutwood

Post by nutwood » 11 August 12 7:43 pm

2max wrote:Thanks so much everyone for your input and thoughts. It's great to have some idea of what others do and to know that prizes aren't necessarily expected, just a bonus to have. Three of the FTF prizes we've already hidden in our caches have been GCA pathtags (2 were the FTF pathtags and one was the basic GCA pathtag) so we've already gone down that path ;) \:D/
Why would you need to leave more than a GCA FTF pathtag? Mind you, it'd be polite to make sure it's a GCA cache that you're leaving it in!

2max
1 or more caches found
1 or more caches found

Post by 2max » 19 September 12 12:40 pm

nutwood wrote:Why would you need to leave more than a GCA FTF pathtag? Mind you, it'd be polite to make sure it's a GCA cache that you're leaving it in!
We didn't leave them all in the same cache... they were in separate caches.

And actually no, they were GC caches. But you have got me thinking, is it wrong, rude, simply unacceptable, or other, to subtly cross-promote GCA in that way? I have seen GCA stickers left as prizes/swaps in other GC caches - is this impolite from those other cachers too? It's a serious question, not trying to argue, just wondering if I, and others, have been accidentally crossing boundaries, based upon your reply.

I know it's a game, and we are all free to play it how we want, hide whatever FTF prizes we want, yadda.. But your suggestion that I have been impolite needs clarifying just for my own sake. Would also appreciate some sort of 'official stance' response too if anyone has time. Ta :)

belken

Post by belken » 19 September 12 1:25 pm

Official Stance???? Geocaching belongs to the people. You are the official representative of geocaching. What you think is what counts. Don't let it become anything else. Do not give your official power away to anyone else.

Granted Groundspeak can control your listing on their platform. That is the words they choose to publish. But please never give them any more power than that. If you do some research you will find the FTF is not even a practise that Groundspeak recognises or supports. So its fairly moot as to what you use in this side game that is officially recognised by players.(not all players but who cares)

Comply with Groundpeak guidelines if you want them to publish a listing. Those guidelines are fairly well documented. There are some people here that can give you the "official" stance on that. After that please don't let others interfere with your enjoyment of geocaching.

On the last 7 caches I published on GCA the FTF prizes has included a BelKen personal Geocoin. Trackable at GC.com. I didn't hear any noises of impoliteness, official or otherwise.

gmj3191
7500 or more caches found
7500 or more caches found

Post by gmj3191 » 19 September 12 2:56 pm

caughtatwork wrote:I think you should leave one of these.
Just bought some.

Even though I don't really "get" pathtags,
this bit nearly forced me to tears...

"The 4 colors represent the blue of the ocean surrounding most countries in the Pacific Ocean,
the green and yellow/gold which are the Australian national colors (being the predominant colours
found on many species of Wattle, namely, green foliage and golden inflorescences)
and the burnt orange representing the sunburnt landscape that Australia is famous for."