OpenStreetMaps now useless in a lot of areas.

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
blossom*
3000 or more caches found
3000 or more caches found

Re: OpenStreetMaps now useless in a lot of areas.

Post by blossom* » 23 July 12 4:47 pm

Does anyone know what date NZ maps were/will be cleaned out?

GhostGums
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

Post by GhostGums » 23 July 12 5:01 pm

blossom* wrote:Does anyone know what date NZ maps were/will be cleaned out?
It may be worth asking the NZ Open GPS Project site, as it may be unaffected? http://nzopengps.org/

gmj3191
7500 or more caches found

Post by gmj3191 » 23 July 12 5:32 pm

It's probably only an issue where large (or significant) contributions were made by someone
who won't, or hasn't, agreed to the new licence conditions.

covert
150 or more caches found
150 or more caches found

Post by covert » 23 July 12 8:06 pm

gmj3191 wrote:What's the contentious issue in the new licence? To make someone throw away such a lot of work, she must have had a strong objection.
In a lot of cases the data used to create the OSM data was not compatible to change from the old CC-BY-SA license to the new ODbL license. I left the mail list over a year ago when all this *%^&* was heating up. If I recall right there was a lot of data in Australia that was entered using data from Nearmap and this would be causing a lot of the new holes seen in the data.

tronador
6500 or more caches found
6500 or more caches found

Post by tronador » 23 July 12 10:58 pm

I use the .nl site for os travel and have just received Canada, no problems there.

The Spindoctors

Post by The Spindoctors » 24 July 12 12:33 am

Damn. I updated my handheld last week, not knowing what was going on. Thought it was strange the routing was taking me all over Sydney when all I wanted was to get from North Ryde to Parramatta. It appears I did accept it a year ago, but someone it my area, so there are huge chunks missing. Hmm. This is interesting.

gmj3191

Post by gmj3191 » 24 July 12 8:16 pm

I find this difficult to understand but it does seem like there's a facility to download edits made before the redaction date
for a particular user, and if they agree to the new licence it can be reapplied. Can't be positive about this but in the forum
there's an answer to a question which seems (to me) to indicate this.

The difficulty is that the new licence asks you to confirm that the data you apply is your own work and there are no caveats on it.
If you've copied data from Nearmaps or Google or Bing (which was I think available for this purpose as an overlay you could copy in the early days) then you might not agree to sign it.

The intention is that you use your GPS to capture streets and other facilities which you upload to OSM, so that it is your own work and you are then able to sign it over for sharing freely.
The work I have done seems to have been left alone by the robot crawling over it country by country deleting edits by non complying contributors, so I must agreed at some point.

More details here http://blog.osmfoundation.org/

The Spindoctors

Post by The Spindoctors » 24 July 12 8:53 pm

If you've contributed in the past, you can log into your account, click on your name (which takes you to your profile page) and see if you've agreed to the new licensing terms.

For example, mine reads "Contributor terms: Accepted about 1 year ago "

As you can see, this has been in the works for a while.

While I don't disagree with those who chose not to have their work move from CC to ODbL, those 'active' contributors who have not agreed or disagreed have themselves to blame.

I've started 'fixing' streets in my area and with Potlatch2 it's surprisingly quick. I think a lot of this will be 'fixed' by the end of the year. The reputation of OSM may take a little longer to repair.

BTW - you can use still access the CC licensed data either here http://planet.openstreetmap.org/planet-120704.osm.bz2 or via the breakaway FOSM http://fosm.org/

The Spindoctors

Post by The Spindoctors » 25 July 12 12:40 pm

Added some missing streets last night and was amazed at how quickly they were added to the rendered map (overnight).

I've noticed that the OpenCycleMaps and Mapquest maps still have the pre-redaction data. I presume they update on a less regular basis - I presume Mapquest would have some level of QA. Both maps appear in the 'underlayer' of the Potlatch editor (and well as satellite imagery supplied by Bing). I wonder whether you're allowed to trace over the maps? In theory you shouldn't as it's copying someone else's work, but there's no problem with the satellite imagery.

The other good thing is that the routable maps for the Garmin (the ones *blossom and others use) is still using the old CC licensed data for the moment. See: http://forum.openstreetmap.org/viewtopi ... 65#p257065 This is good news.

Unfortunately, the last version I have has a section of Victoria Rd in Ermington missing, which was the problem I experienced the other day and unrelated to the redaction.

GhostGums
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

Post by GhostGums » 25 July 12 2:27 pm

Had a look in our area, some sections of our main roads are missing, but all the suburban streets remain, except that there are no names. Will have to look how to add the infromation and add the street names and missing main road sections.

covert
150 or more caches found
150 or more caches found

Post by covert » 25 July 12 5:08 pm

The Spindoctors wrote:I wonder whether you're allowed to trace over the maps?
If you trace over the map you need to make sure the license of the previous work is compatible with the license your work will be under.

The old OSM license "CC-BY-SA" is not compatible with the new OSM license ODbL and is the reason lots of editors have not agreed to the new license because there work was derived from data not compatible with ODbL.

The Spindoctors

Post by The Spindoctors » 25 July 12 8:41 pm

covert wrote: If you trace over the map you need to make sure the license of the previous work is compatible with the license your work will be under.
What I thought. But very tempting. At least we have the satellite data to work off. I think it will back to normal by the end of the year.

gmj3191

Post by gmj3191 » 26 July 12 10:44 am

The Spindoctors wrote: BTW - you can use still access the CC licensed data either here http://planet.openstreetmap.org/planet-120704.osm.bz2
This is a 20 Gb compressed .osm file of the whole planet which expands into something possibly in excess of 300 Gb.
Not sure how useful it will be.
I can see there are utilities available for breaking it down into regions.
I've downloaded it and I'm unpacking it now.
It's been going for 10 hours and has another 8 to go, and space might become an issue at some point.

gmj3191

Post by gmj3191 » 26 July 12 12:34 pm

Failed with "Unexpected End of Archive" ......

The Spindoctors

Post by The Spindoctors » 26 July 12 5:46 pm

Worth checking this out. http://rebuild.poole.ch/

It's part of an effort to redraw the data. I've rebuilt St Clair and Erskine Park (roughly)