GeosportZ 2012 - Questions and Clarifications

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
pwags
1500 or more caches found
1500 or more caches found

Re: GeosportZ 2012 - Questions and Clarifications

Post by pwags » 13 July 12 4:33 pm

Interesting to see there are a couple of teams who now have over 250 points, so won't be attempting the marathon. :-"

LouiseAnn
4500 or more caches found

Post by LouiseAnn » 13 July 12 4:42 pm

blossom* wrote:
LouiseAnn wrote:Does anyone know of a geosportz macro for GSAK?
I use GSAK 100% of the time for my research for Geosportz but I simply make up my gsak filter for whichever requirement I'm trying to target. eg Multi, not found by me (not archived of course) and then I work out how many points I want it to be and maybe select the size to give the right points. After that, you need to read the description and see if it has 3 WPs or 5 WPs to fit what you're looking for. \:D/
Well, that's true, that all works, but I am lazy. So I made one. I think it works fairly well. If you spot anything let me know.

http://gsak.net/board/index.php?act=ST&f=37&t=22660

P.S. Run it on a filtered list. I accidentally ran it on the whole of Victoria and I had to go and make tea while it finished :oops:

akkatracker
600 or more caches found
600 or more caches found

Post by akkatracker » 13 July 12 4:46 pm

LouiseAnn wrote:
blossom* wrote:
LouiseAnn wrote:Does anyone know of a geosportz macro for GSAK?
I use GSAK 100% of the time for my research for Geosportz but I simply make up my gsak filter for whichever requirement I'm trying to target. eg Multi, not found by me (not archived of course) and then I work out how many points I want it to be and maybe select the size to give the right points. After that, you need to read the description and see if it has 3 WPs or 5 WPs to fit what you're looking for. \:D/
Well, that's true, that all works, but I am lazy. So I made one. I think it works fairly well. If you spot anything let me know.

P.S. Run it on a filtered list. I accidentally ran it on the whole of Victoria and I had to go and make tea while it finished :oops:
Downloaded but will be a while before I use it since I am still running the free GSAK

blossom*
3000 or more caches found

Post by blossom* » 13 July 12 6:45 pm

A question on the marathon: The requirement states that you need to find a cache "on every day of the London Olympics from 27 July 2012 to 12 Aug 2012. That's a streak of 16 consecutive days"
Is that 27th to 12th INCLUSIVE? If so, that's a streak of 17 days as there are 31 days in July. Otherwise, if we need a 16 day streak, which date do we not need to find a cache?

And the second question relates to proof of find when claiming a non-physical cache or a trig. On the cache page, they're really only concerned that I did actually go there and the photo will prove that. But as there is no log book, is there anything that the Geosportz require to prove I really did find that trig on the date I claim I did? Or will you take my word for it? (I'm thinking of setting myself a trig power trail :D )

GJMMelb

Post by GJMMelb » 13 July 12 8:17 pm

LouiseAnn wrote:

That's excellent LouiseAnn, thanks!! =D> :D

Is there any chance of adding a column that has the cache distance/direction from home in it? :?:

blossom*

Post by blossom* » 13 July 12 8:48 pm

LouiseAnn wrote: Well, that's true, that all works, but I am lazy. So I made one. I think it works fairly well. If you spot anything let me know.

Well I've never done this macro thing but I gave it a go and it's very nice =D> Just a point I noticed - Trigs are worth 2 points for cache type

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 13 July 12 9:35 pm

blossom* wrote:A question on the marathon: The requirement states that you need to find a cache "on every day of the London Olympics from 27 July 2012 to 12 Aug 2012. That's a streak of 16 consecutive days"
Is that 27th to 12th INCLUSIVE? If so, that's a streak of 17 days as there are 31 days in July. Otherwise, if we need a 16 day streak, which date do we not need to find a cache?

And the second question relates to proof of find when claiming a non-physical cache or a trig. On the cache page, they're really only concerned that I did actually go there and the photo will prove that. But as there is no log book, is there anything that the Geosportz require to prove I really did find that trig on the date I claim I did? Or will you take my word for it? (I'm thinking of setting myself a trig power trail :D )
1. Whoops. I can't count. It is indeed 17 caches. I've updated the requirement for clarity.
2. Proof. Well, I'm not going to check every log, so be trustworthy or forever face the scorn of the community should you be found out.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 13 July 12 9:36 pm

akkatracker wrote:Well now sitting in 25th spot I think I'll try to hold on till the end :P
You're not now.

LouiseAnn

Post by LouiseAnn » 13 July 12 10:51 pm

GJMMelb wrote:

Is there any chance of adding a column that has the cache distance/direction from home in it? :?:
easy done, a new version added
blossom* wrote: Well I've never done this macro thing but I gave it a go and it's very nice Just a point I noticed - Trigs are worth 2 points for cache type
Hmmm. In the support documentation for the macros it doesn't tell me what codes trig points use when they come into GSAK, so I was kind of guessing. I don't have any in my GSAK to test with. I have added another category and it might be trigs?!?!? If caughtatwork happens to know the code, I can make another change.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 13 July 12 10:56 pm

They come into GSAK as Benchmarks.

LouiseAnn

Post by LouiseAnn » 13 July 12 10:58 pm

caughtatwork wrote:They come into GSAK as Benchmarks.
Yay good guessing me! Blossom*, it should work now :)

tronador
6500 or more caches found

Post by tronador » 13 July 12 11:13 pm

Well I've never really understood what a macro is either, but if all I need to do is click and this is what happens, then thank you,..... this is very nice indeed.

tronador

Post by tronador » 13 July 12 11:21 pm

Any chance of putting the distance no.s in alignment, ie beginning with decimals then units, tens,........ you can't really sort by distance as the macro sorts by hundreds first.

GJMMelb

Post by GJMMelb » 13 July 12 11:25 pm

LouiseAnn wrote:
GJMMelb wrote:

easy done, a new version added
thanks LouiseAnn, and I'm so excited coz I opened the macro and added a (direction) Bearing column to my copy too by just copying what you had done... That's very exciting for me to do something like that - it took 3 attempts coz I used the abbreviation that gsak had (which was "brg") so I had all sorts of odd things happening and then I had an "S" instead of a $ so it threw a fit at that too lol

Anyway maybe you could add the direction (bearing) to the official one too.

thanks again

JMelb

LouiseAnn

Post by LouiseAnn » 13 July 12 11:27 pm

tronador wrote:Any chance of putting the distance no.s in alignment, ie beginning with decimals then units, tens,........ you can't really sort by distance as the macro sorts by hundreds first.
Hmmm, I think given I had a few glasses of Champaign, that might have to be a task for tomorrow, but I'm sure I can give it a bash.

And JMelb, again tomorrow, but not a problem :)

It's easier than you think once you get started. Always start with someone else's and edit!