Munzees!

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
Toriaz
200 or more found
200 or more found

Re: Munzees!

Post by Toriaz » 08 May 12 11:03 am

Zalgariath wrote:
Facitman wrote:
Yurt wrote:I still don't quite get it though. :-k
I think I get it but as my phone is Windows Phone 7 I don't get to play. :(

My one beef is when I start searching for a cache and find a Munzee, part of me says find your own location rather than hiding it next to a cache. :-k
Yes, unless you are the cache owner. I place Munzee in/at my own caches, but try to move them away from other peoples ones when deploying. Mind you, that also assumes the deployer or cache hider knew of the others existance. It is like the GC / GCA thing... or even Multi / Puzzle caches. How often does it happen that a GC Only cacher hides a cache right next to an exisiting GCA cache? Or you try to deploy a GC cache to be told by the reviewer you are too close to a puzzle or multi GZ? While it is true most Munzers are cachers, that demographic is slowly changing as the game finds its own market.

Indeed with the Virts you need to visit the physical location... just not find anything. Nothing wrong with Waymarking, but Waymarking is to Geocaching what Virts seem to be to Munzee so I am wary of them. Munzee is already Geocaching Sped up, I dont see the need to eliminate the game piece as unlike a caching virtual there is no question / proof / activity to locate or do ;)

Someone has placed a munzee next to 2 of my caches. I know they are cachers, because they have already logged finds on my caches. I had a log on one of the caches from someone who found the munzee & thought they needed to decode it to find the cache. Not having a smartphone with them, they returned home to decode, only to find out it had no connection to the cache.

It will be interesting to see how munzees go after groundspeak introduces their version of it with QR challenges.

Zalgariath
5500 or more caches found

Post by Zalgariath » 09 May 12 5:41 am

Perfectly fine... the QR Challenge is a complete knee jerk to Munzee.... but will, like other Challenges, be ignored by 99% of the community. The funny thing is, the QR challenges dont in anyway link to Groundspeak... in fact, they rely on the user providing their OWN QR Code or finding one existing in the world... Anyone know a website that involves generating QRs conviniently and formated for printing with hints on deployment via an app? ... oh wait :P hehehe

Munzee will hit 100,000 deploys this month. Id be surprised of the QR Challenge has 1/10th of that in their first year. GS blew their chance with challenges... it will take a LOT to convince most of the community they are worth while. Ripping off other peoples ideas aint going to help.

Yurt
4500 or more caches found
4500 or more caches found

Post by Yurt » 10 May 12 6:16 pm

So far all Munzees I've logged have been at events (well one event!) and inside other caches so I've found them without really looking for them. Today I thought I'd grab a nearby one (Kid's Dump) and I went to the cache but found nothing. Then I looked at the app and the map showed it some 60 metres away. However I couldn't use the compass to find it and just orientated myself with the satellite view until I was in the right spot. Is there something wrong with how I've got it set up or is that how you are supposed to find them? :shock:

There is what looks like a compass icon but it's greyed out.

Zalgariath

Post by Zalgariath » 11 May 12 4:30 am

Yurt, When on the Hunt Screen or Map, click on a munzee.

At the bottom of the Munzee info page is a button "Find this Munzee" Clicking it will take you back to the map... but there should be an arrow compass at the top right of the screen, and a distance counter next to it ;)

At least, that is for the Android version.

McAdies
1100 or more caches found
1100 or more caches found

Post by McAdies » 11 June 12 3:25 pm

Since getting a smartphone 2 weeks ago we have searched for 6 Munzees but only found 1.
We have assumed the others were already gone but the accuracy of the phone takes a little getting used to.
Think we won't bother looking for them on their own but if they are in a cache we will probably log them.

Zalgariath

Post by Zalgariath » 11 June 12 5:02 pm

Double Points weekend this weekend for all deploys and captures :D

jgc3

Post by jgc3 » 25 June 12 12:09 am

I really enjoy Munzee... so at the coming BIG Little Event www.BIGLittleEvent.com
I'm giving away an upgrade to PREMIUM MEMBERSHIP.. if you already have one we'll extend it for another year.

If you want to check out information on the event please check out our thread.

http://forum.geocaching.com.au/viewtopi ... =2&t=17316

Thanks & Good Luck.

Zalgariath

Post by Zalgariath » 25 June 12 10:34 pm

OFFLINE CAPTURES!!!!

Were you turned off Munzee by the Data cost or scanning hassles due to poor mobile coverage?

In the new Android Beta, they are testing Offline captures! :D Im guessing it wont be long until this is rolled out in the official app, but if you want to help bug test check it out here http://www.munzee.com/forums/index.php/ ... 079.0.html

jgc3

Post by jgc3 » 25 June 12 11:38 pm

Zalgariath wrote:OFFLINE CAPTURES!!!!

Were you turned off Munzee by the Data cost or scanning hassles due to poor mobile coverage?

In the new Android Beta, they are testing Offline captures! :D Im guessing it wont be long until this is rolled out in the official app, but if you want to help bug test check it out here http://www.munzee.com/forums/index.php/ ... 079.0.html
Great news. =D> Offline captures will be useful. Especially as recently I couldn't get signal on one network but our other network phone had full signal...

Thanks for letting us know..

juc_cacher

Post by juc_cacher » 25 June 12 11:45 pm

Zalgariath wrote:OFFLINE CAPTURES!!!!

Nice !

Once they give the ability to save an offline list, then they will be starting to get somewhere.

Dvixen
750 or more caches found
750 or more caches found
Twitter: Dvixen, Geowhat

Post by Dvixen » 26 June 12 10:38 am

Things I learned about the Offline Capture Beta:

-Load Munzees before leaving the wifi hotspot. It's fun finding Munzees when you don't know where they are! (I had a great laugh about this.)

-When they say make sure the dot is green, they aren't kidding. The one I did find offline errored out on me during upload - it said too far away, but I was sure it was green. (Will redo on Thursday just in case I did EyeDee10Tea it. Considering the hassle my brain had getting me to the link to download, this is possible!)

Zalgariath

Post by Zalgariath » 06 July 12 7:40 pm

Offline still working well for me... and now, the lads have announced a Windows Version and are looking for beta testers. I hope to have a new GCA Munzee Cache going out tomorrow for the FTF hounds ;)

covert
150 or more caches found
150 or more caches found

Post by covert » 06 July 12 7:59 pm

I had a Ah-ha moment the other day. I was out caching with a friend and as we walked out of the reserve back to the car a munzee was spotted on the back of a power transformer box. My companion said "Oh Munzee" and started to get out his phone. Then I had the Ah-ha moment...

How I am feeling now is how my non-caching friends feel when I stop for a cache "just over there" and roll there eye's.

akkatracker
600 or more caches found
600 or more caches found

Post by akkatracker » 06 July 12 8:10 pm

Zalgariath wrote:Offline still working well for me... and now, the lads have announced a Windows Version and are looking for beta testers. I hope to have a new GCA Munzee Cache going out tomorrow for the FTF hounds ;)
[-o< [-o< Be north [-o< [-o<

Zalgariath

Post by Zalgariath » 07 July 12 7:23 pm

I forgot about the Kayak Event today which kinda took my time :P Will be tomorrow, inner west ;)