Caching Cleanup

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
honeysucker
6500 or more caches found

Re: Caching Cleanup

Post by honeysucker » 18 November 11 12:23 pm

i have a supplier that i can buy a range of plastic zip lock gags from at a very reasonable price if you are interested i also purchased a large quantity of small containers (film canister size) for a good price too
pm me if interested

Just a cacher

Post by Just a cacher » 18 November 11 12:24 pm

I like the idea of getting people together to help pack the 'kits'. We could make an event of it. I see the postage problem...

I also think a kit should include a really cheap and nasty disposable glove, if it can be squeezed in. That makes it into a real kit (sort of).

s_mc500
150 or more caches found
150 or more caches found

Post by s_mc500 » 18 November 11 12:31 pm

I don't think the idea is to put them into a cache so this seems a minor problem, if you came across a cache with enough room and you felt like leaving one as a swap then ok, but doesn't seem the intention. I think the idea of a cleanup is good, tag your log that you cleaned something up?

GC - GarbageCleanup :P

TRLN - Took Rubbish Left Nothing

CRAP - Collected Rubbish Around Park

PrincessDiala
2300 or more caches found

Post by PrincessDiala » 18 November 11 9:05 pm

Zalgariath wrote:...Soon (lukcily!) it may be harder to source free bags to recycle then the film pots to shove them in ;)
Some supermarkets have the large bin for collecting old/used plastic bags, could always ask the shop owner if you could take a bunch of bags from there instead of purchasing some from the supermarket.
caughtatwork wrote:...However :idea: take a garbage bag, cut the top 3rd or half off (gives you the same basic size as a shopping bag) and ... tada. Fits perfectly. So those who wouldn't have shopping bags can use garbage bags to refill their can.
It kind of seems wasteful, and defeating the purpose of cutting up a garbage bag for this purpose.. unless you could heat seal the other end that was chopped off to make two (or more?) bags..

PrincessDiala

Post by PrincessDiala » 18 November 11 9:09 pm

Just a cacher wrote:I like the idea of getting people together to help pack the 'kits'. We could make an event of it. I see the postage problem...

I also think a kit should include a really cheap and nasty disposable glove, if it can be squeezed in. That makes it into a real kit (sort of).
I *like* the idea of both the 'kit' production event and the disposable glove too!

Zalgariath
5500 or more caches found

Post by Zalgariath » 18 November 11 9:38 pm

PrincessDiala wrote:
Just a cacher wrote:I like the idea of getting people together to help pack the 'kits'. We could make an event of it. I see the postage problem...

I *like* the idea of both the 'kit' production event and the disposable glove too!
No plastic gloves please! 90% of the garbage you pick up is probably cleaner than the Geocache you just found and handled. Apart from cleaning up, dont forget not to defeat the good intention by creating more plastic pollution :cry: REDUCE, then reuse, then recycle ;)

ruzzelz

Post by ruzzelz » 18 November 11 11:38 pm

Papa Bear_Left wrote:Just as long as no idiot comes up with a stupid acronym like, say, GIGO or something equally moronic!

(This was C@W's original name, and I'm only teasing!)
[-( We all need an acronym. Anything to promote cleaning up the environment is a good thing. :idea:
Last edited by ruzzelz on 19 November 11 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Big Matt and Shell
Twitter: BigMattandShell

Post by Big Matt and Shell » 19 November 11 7:41 am

s_mc500 wrote:CRAP - Collected Rubbish Around Park
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

That would be one case where it would be nice to see a whole lot of crap logs...

darth trader
800 or more hollow logs searched
800 or more hollow logs searched
Twitter: darthtrader77

Post by darth trader » 19 November 11 8:25 pm

I have seen bags compacted into little packets to fit into ladies purses, for when they forget to take the shopping bag/s down to the grocer. Kinda like this http://www.chicobag.com/category/micro. But not so expensive. The thing is, they could be screen printed or reused if required.

As to naming suggestions...

This game is rife with travel bugs and trackable items and new 'secret' meanings to existing words.
So I would suggest 'litter bugs'
If a bag could be introduced as re-useable, it could be encouraged to continue around as trackable.

Another suggestion for naming could be a program called 'Pick up Path'. When I was in school, my favourite library reading were the 'Choose Your own adventure books' (which we called 'pick a path' books) where at the end of a page you had to make a choice and turn to page 'x' for choice 'a' OR turn to page 'y' for choice 'b'. You probably remember them. While caching, we all have a variety of choices to make and paths to choose, maybe along those paths whilst making those choices, we could 'pick up'. And it could be shortened to 'PUP' and they are as cute as hell. Well not as cute as hell really, a hell puppy would probably be horrific to look upon, but I think you know what I mean.

Just a couple of suggestions to keep the thread churning.
Thanks for involving the community.

Oh, hey, afterthought. What about PATHBAGS?

pjmpjm
6000 or more caches found
6000 or more caches found
Twitter: Booroobin

Re: Caching Cleanup Feedback

Post by pjmpjm » 22 November 11 6:09 pm

Excellent idea. Will help if I can. =D>

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 24 November 11 5:06 pm

I see some good, positive comments in this thread.

Some additional thoughts from me. If (big if) we intend this to be worldwide, I think we need to find a good, universal term for rubbish.

What applies in Australia may be almost unheard of in the US or UK. That's one of the things I find annoying about CITO. The word trash and the rhyme with cache.

Here are some synonyms for what I think we're looking at:
Debris, detritus, dreck, dregs, droppings, dross, excess, filth, fragments, junk, leavings, litter, muck, oddments, odds and ends, offal, pieces, refuse, residue, rubbish, rubble, rummage, scourings, scrap, scraps, scum, sediment, sewage, slop, shavings, sweepings, swill, trash, waste.

Obviously they can't all be used. I don't think I want to clean up sewage.

So what catchy names / acronyms could we come up with? I know with all of the cool cache names out there, there has to be someone(s) who can put their nose to the trash can :mrgreen:

Rigger64
950 or more random things achieved
950 or more random things achieved

Post by Rigger64 » 26 December 11 5:56 pm

s_mc500 wrote:I don't think the idea is to put them into a cache so this seems a minor problem, if you came across a cache with enough room and you felt like leaving one as a swap then ok, but doesn't seem the intention. I think the idea of a cleanup is good, tag your log that you cleaned something up?

I love the idea in fact i have even done a few of these types of containers & put them into caches.
I got a heap of film canisters from the local camera shop for nothing,zip, nada fre gratis.(it turns out they are geocachers).
& as for the shopping bags every so often i do a clean out of the cupboard & throw a heap in the bin.
@ C@W if you want them i em just the other side of town to you.

I do like the Acorum of "CRAP" - "Collected Rubbish Around Place" (Slight Change)

Well thats my 2cents worth."Less Tax & GST"

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 11 June 12 1:42 pm

It's been 6 months since I posted the OP and we have had some good suggestions. I would like to get a moveon.

I have designed a logo (or sorts). The map of Australia is from the GCA logo. Coloured green for (I hope) obvious reasons. The 4 colour recycle border is from the GCA logo colour selection.

It fits into the pathtag design as well.

Someone suggested Reduce, Reuse, Recycle. It would be nice to get a 4 word slogan that we could use for each of the 4 colours on the logo. Refuse, Reduce, Reuse, Recycle kind of works.

Refuse it in the first place.
Reduce it in the second place.
Reuse it in the third place.
Recycle it in the fourth place.

Other suggestions remain welcome. I would still love a pronounceable acronym though as RRRR (which I suppose could be the 4 R's) is a bit unpronounceable.

There have been some suggestions:
Litter Bugs
Pick up Path (PUP)
PATHBAGS
"CRAP" - "Collected Rubbish Around Place"

CRAP is cool, but I think it may be somewhat offensive to some.

I like the term Litter Bugs. You find one in a cache. You use it. You take it away (along with the rubbish). You replace the bag. You rehide it in another cache for someone to find and do the same. Kind of like a travel bug but specifically for litter. They could almost become swaggies (although swaggies are not exactly a hit).

Hey, maybe a swagbag :-)

Thinking caps on people.

Zalgariath

Post by Zalgariath » 11 June 12 5:18 pm

How about Litter-Swags? That way it is a GCA Swaggie reference.

Buy 10 Litter-Swags to place in caches and get a free pathtag :D

2max
1 or more caches found
1 or more caches found

Post by 2max » 12 June 12 9:16 pm

Team Wibble wrote:I wonder whether a small zip lock bag with the plastic bag folded and stuffed inside might be a smaller, easier to fit into cache style (and easier to source than film canisters)?
That was my thought too. I really like the idea, but some (smaller) caches are so packed with swag that there's often not a lot of room for anything solid like a film canister, even with some creative rearrangement. Small plastic ziplock bags are more pliable and can press into shape around existing swag. Or does it have to be film canisters that are used? Or is there room for a combination of both? I really do like the idea though, and like that it will help foster awareness for carting away rubbish we may come across.

I know I'm only a newbie and I'm not incredibly creative when it comes to names and slogans and such, but at the risk of being shot down... I offer:

TOUR (Taking Out Ur Rubbish) BAGS

Or it could be expanded to, TOURIST (Taking Out Ur Rubbish Is Smart Thinking) BAGS.

Coz really, that's not far off what we are when we're exploring a new place.. we're pretty much tourists.

I dunno, I'll fall back on my previous disclaimer.. I'm not very good at this stuff!

ETA: Actually, the more I think about it.. I really like the Litter Bugs idea.