Cache contents

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
TwoDrews
400 or more spectacular views seen
Twitter: _macca_

Re: Cache contents

Post by TwoDrews » 09 November 11 6:37 pm

Just a cacher wrote:I have no idea what makes a good swap for a child, but that looks good.

What REALLY impresses me is that it has a value on it! On the rare occasion that I take a fancy to something in a cache, I have no idea whatsoever to replace the item with. I am sure that I sometimes leave a replacement that is a lot more or less valuable.

Great idea! I love it! I may steal it! The part about valuing swaps. :-)
I was worried that seeing a bag full of goodies people might get put off, thinking it was worth a lot. I reckon it looks more valuable than $1. That's why I put the value figure on it. Plus, it's also a gentle reminder that it's a 'swap', not a 'take'.

2max
1 or more caches found
1 or more caches found

Post by 2max » 06 February 12 3:35 pm

That kids pack looks absolutely fantastic TwoDrews! And you're right about it looking like it has a higher value than it's actual cost. Just shows what can be done with a bit of forethought and effort. I think it's an awesome idea and might look at putting together a kids kit of my own to leave behind. If I do, I will be sure to give credit to you somewhere on the packaging, for the idea and inspiration.

I'm only very new to caching, with just 10 finds to my name, but have noticed in a couple that we found that the swaps were a little lacking. At one cache we didn't take anything, but left 3 trinkets behind just to make it more interesting for the next cacher.

I really don't know what possesses people to leave things like pen lids or bottle caps behind. I can rummage around on my desk and find those things, so why would I think it's exciting cache treasure? I think the smallest thing we've left so far was a pretty hair tie (I'd only just bought a pack so had about 10 of them in my bag... but hey, at least it's useful) and that was only coz it was a teeny tiny cache and we simply couldn't fit anything else in. There was a tiny plastic flag and a 1c coin already in there so we thought it needed a girly touch. :P

Tuena, I really like your idea for swaps and I would be drawn to them for sure. I actually think having a theme for your swappables is a great idea, it's almost like a subtle little personal calling card.

Yurt
4500 or more caches found
4500 or more caches found

Post by Yurt » 06 February 12 4:53 pm

Found one the other day that was crammed full so you could hardly get the logbook back in. But the 'treasure' consisted of a couple of rusty old round bells, a heap of soggy calling cards and something else so unmemorable I've forgotten it.
I didn't feel bad removing this stuff so the logbook could be protected from the elements better. It had zero value and no one would ever have swapped for it.

TwoDrews
Twitter: _macca_

Post by TwoDrews » 06 February 12 5:03 pm

Lmac201 wrote:That kids pack looks absolutely fantastic TwoDrews! And you're right about it looking like it has a higher value than it's actual cost. Just shows what can be done with a bit of forethought and effort. I think it's an awesome idea and might look at putting together a kids kit of my own to leave behind. If I do, I will be sure to give credit to you somewhere on the packaging, for the idea and inspiration.
I'm glad you like the idea! Go for it. There's only one condition I set - when you have your kids pack assembled you must post a photo of it here for us, okay?
I'm only very new to caching, with just 10 finds to my name, but have noticed in a couple that we found that the swaps were a little lacking. At one cache we didn't take anything, but left 3 trinkets behind just to make it more interesting for the next cacher.
We do the same. Quite often I'll leave stuff and not take anything. And because cache boxes get grotty inside, I bought 500 6x9cm ziplock baggies from an eBay seller in China for $1 + $5.65 postage. I put the swag into these and they keep the goodies clean for the kiddies.
I really don't know what possesses people to leave things like pen lids or bottle caps behind.
Yeah, it makes you think "what's a pen lid worth?", and what was the value of the thing they took in exchange... I found a (used) wooden icy-pole stick in a cache last week, I shook my head and removed it... :roll:

quiet1_au
5500 or more caches found
5500 or more caches found

Post by quiet1_au » 06 February 12 11:34 pm

I almost never swap out items (I had recently but only for frog items that I just had to have to make extra Leapfrogs! :mrgreen: ). Sometimes though I drop in items without a swap out (golf balls and marbles picked up whilst caching in particular)

My first cache (currently destroyed) and its spare twin that has yet to be placed had a number of Kinder Surprise toys in them - but I have to say the quality of those has fallen much as swag item quality has in recent years... Bottle tops, pebbles, sticks, used train tickets, etc - those really aren't swap items!...

I'm inclined in my future caches not to bother with swag - and indeed request they be swag-free, to leave room for useful items like trackables and to avoid the cache overflow problem where its a struggle to get the log in and cache safely sealed against moisture.

I can see the appeal for caches aimed at kids though, and it can be fun to sift through caches with goodies in just out of curiousity :)

lemmykc
2500 or more caches found
2500 or more caches found

Post by lemmykc » 07 February 12 7:46 am

quiet1_au wrote:I almost never swap out items (I had recently but only for frog items that I just had to have to make extra Leapfrogs! :mrgreen: ). Sometimes though I drop in items without a swap out (golf balls and marbles picked up whilst caching in particular)

My first cache (currently destroyed) and its spare twin that has yet to be placed had a number of Kinder Surprise toys in them - but I have to say the quality of those has fallen much as swag item quality has in recent years... Bottle tops, pebbles, sticks, used train tickets, etc - those really aren't swap items!...

I'm inclined in my future caches not to bother with swag - and indeed request they be swag-free, to leave room for useful items like trackables and to avoid the cache overflow problem where its a struggle to get the log in and cache safely sealed against moisture.

I can see the appeal for caches aimed at kids though, and it can be fun to sift through caches with goodies in just out of curiousity :)
I don't swap regularly either, however in saying that I do like to put swaps into my own caches. Think about it: a 2L Sistema looks very bare if there are no swaps in it. I don't carry swaps on me when caching but when I place a cache I usually raid my draws trying to find something to put in them.

musta9

Post by musta9 » 07 February 12 8:15 am

If you don't want the swap quatily to fall make it a premium member cache only.

tronador
6500 or more caches found
6500 or more caches found

Post by tronador » 07 February 12 8:18 am

musta9 wrote:If you don't want the swap quatily to fall make it a premium member cache only.
That is no guarantee .

Just a cacher

Post by Just a cacher » 07 February 12 8:21 am

I like caches with swaps in them, even though I don't swap very often.

My problem is that I find it difficult to "value" swaps. I have no idea what this little trinket, or that cute doggie, might be worth. I TRY to put somethng back of greater value, but it's a matter of perception in many cases.

I also put swaps in and take nothing out, sometimes.

I do remove items sometimes, just because. E.g. unused condoms, food items, batteries, soggy paper, tampons... and the list goes on. And yes, I have removed examples of all of those, and more. What are some people thinking?!?!

P.S. I don't like premium caches, as I am not a premium member. It takes extra key strokes to log them, too.

2max
1 or more caches found
1 or more caches found

Post by 2max » 02 March 12 10:41 am

TwoDrews wrote:I'm glad you like the idea! Go for it. There's only one condition I set - when you have your kids pack assembled you must post a photo of it here for us, okay?
I shall. :) But I've actually had a little re-think since last posting, and I've decided I might put something 'girly' together. I've ordered a few things off eBay and when they arrive hopefully it will all assemble together like I envision. I'll post a pic up when it all comes together. My change of heart is mainly because I mostly cache with either my husband (who isn't too fussed on what swaps we take/leave) or our teenage daughter (who loves seeing what surprises there are in caches, and being female is automatically drawn to colourful/pretty things) - so with her in mind, I'm hoping that our next set of swaps will be of some interest to other young(?) female cachers. :-k
I really don't know what possesses people to leave things like pen lids or bottle caps behind.
Yeah, it makes you think "what's a pen lid worth?", and what was the value of the thing they took in exchange... I found a (used) wooden icy-pole stick in a cache last week, I shook my head and removed it... :roll:
On wednesday my daughter had the glorious choice between a tampon (thankfully unused), a Brisbane Lions (AFL) card from a pack of chips (well I guess they tried, but the Lions?? Seriously??) or a used piece of chewing gum wrapped in a bit of paper. :roll: Of course I took the tampon and chewy out and replaced with a couple of 'friendlier' swaps. I left the Brisbane Lions card in there just incase one of their 6 fans happens to be driving past. :wink:

Richary
8000 or more caches found
8000 or more caches found

Post by Richary » 02 March 12 8:44 pm

I used to swap as I thought it was a necessary part of the game when I started, but I very rarely do these do. I do try to place something reasonable in caches I place though.

That can backfire though, my coord.info/GC24ZBX cache commemorates a site where early radio broadcasting was pioneered in Australia. As part of the theme I included a number of radio related electronics kits from Jaycar, probably $40-50 all up. I made a note in the description that people didn't need to swap even for these, and if they got a kid interested in electronics that would be reward enough.

Most logs that refer to swaps say people didn't swap as they didn't have anything equal or better to swap #-o

Cheesy pigs
3000 or more caches found
3000 or more caches found

Post by Cheesy pigs » 02 March 12 11:18 pm

When I do swap I try to leave things that are cool for kids, and sometimes big kids, like keyring compasses, or mini torches or survival whistles. I must dmit I havent loaded my pockets to go caching for quite a few months now. Having seen this thread I will try and carry something next time I go out

Gypsy Roaming
800 or more hollow logs searched
800 or more hollow logs searched

Post by Gypsy Roaming » 03 March 12 1:24 am

What a great idea the Kids pack is. =D> Having the label makes it so much easier to work out swaps. Being unsure of values myself I tend to just look not swap.
I always leave a small badge or something for the geokids and have been toying with the idea of making up some puzzle bags for swapping (work in progress)
Thanks TwoDrews.

nellc
250 or more caches found
250 or more caches found

Post by nellc » 31 March 12 10:12 pm

Today I found a paperclip, a bottle top, 2 x 1c pieces and 40c. Most of the time it is really rubbish that is in the caches. Not even appealing to kids.

2max
1 or more caches found
1 or more caches found

Post by 2max » 27 April 12 2:42 pm

2max wrote:
TwoDrews wrote:I'm glad you like the idea! Go for it. There's only one condition I set - when you have your kids pack assembled you must post a photo of it here for us, okay?
I shall. :) But I've actually had a little re-think since last posting, and I've decided I might put something 'girly' together. I've ordered a few things off eBay and when they arrive hopefully it will all assemble together like I envision. I'll post a pic up when it all comes together. My change of heart is mainly because I mostly cache with either my husband (who isn't too fussed on what swaps we take/leave) or our teenage daughter (who loves seeing what surprises there are in caches, and being female is automatically drawn to colourful/pretty things) - so with her in mind, I'm hoping that our next set of swaps will be of some interest to other young(?) female cachers. :-k
So following up on the above, which I posted several weeks ago.. I have put my 'girly' swap idea into action. Pics as promised.
I started with these:

and ended up with these:

My daughter and her friends thought they were great - needless to say a few of the bracelets aren't actually going to make their way into any caches. Also been very well received in the caches I've put one in so far. :D (Sorry for the bad photography, the pics really don't do them full justice, they look better in real life.)

All from eBay and including postage, the costs were - leather bracelets $5.80, silver beads $4.84, and the glass beads $20.40. I made up 50 bracelets at a cost of 62c each. Then borrowed mums bag sealer to make a heap of smaller ziplock bags out of the standard sandwich bags so they'll stay all nice and pretty. :P

Oh and before you think the boys completely missed out... since we're coastal, I bought a bulk lot of fishing glow sticks to pop in as well. :)