View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 10 December 18 10:51 pm



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
iPad/iPhone app - Geobucket 
Author Message
400 or more spectacular views seen
400 or more spectacular views seen
User avatar

Joined: 02 April 03 2:09 pm
Posts: 1698
Location: Wyndham Vale
GCA Found: 2
GCA Hidden: 0
Post iPad/iPhone app - Geobucket
We are slowly but surely starting to get back into caching in fact we just hit the 400 caches this week. That's got to be a record. \:D/

Anyway I started using GSAK again and thought there must be a way of using an iPad with pocket queries by now. Not for finding the cache but to do things like filtering the PQ's and logging etc. We use the magellan for the actual hunt. Don't shoot me down if this app has been mentioned before but I couldn't find it in a search.

I stumbled on an app called Geobucket. It's a free app that can do pretty much anything you need to do on the road.
It uses geocaching live to retrieve your PQ's and you can do all sorts of amazing things with it including filtering caches, logging finds etc etc. I also put a copy on the iPhone and I can click on a cache and it will switch to tomtom and navigate to it via turn by turn. Something I would have hoped the GC.com app could do.

Anyway just wanted to alert anyone who has an iPad or iPhone who could get some use out of this. I have no affiliations. Just think its a great tool to use. Anyone else using it?


18 April 12 9:19 pm
Profile E-mail ICQ
2350 or more caches found
2350 or more caches found
User avatar

Joined: 31 October 03 11:45 am
Posts: 1213
Location: Benalla, VIC
GCA Found: 50
GCA Hidden: 1
Post Re: iPad/iPhone app - Geobucket
Haven't tried it Embi ... I'll have a look

I use GeoSphere on the iPhone and iPad and am very happy with it 8)

I'm using iCaching on the MacBook and am gradually getting used to it after being a long term GSAK user


18 April 12 9:43 pm
Profile
400 or more spectacular views seen
400 or more spectacular views seen
User avatar

Joined: 02 April 03 2:09 pm
Posts: 1698
Location: Wyndham Vale
GCA Found: 2
GCA Hidden: 0
Post Re: iPad/iPhone app - Geobucket
Let me know what you think Rhino.


18 April 12 9:53 pm
Profile E-mail ICQ
4500 or more caches found
4500 or more caches found
User avatar

Joined: 08 August 09 12:04 pm
Posts: 727
Location: Melbourne, Australia
GCA Found: 219
GCA Hidden: 3
100 GCA Finds
Post Re: iPad/iPhone app - Geobucket
I have this app on my iPad, but I don't think I've ever really been able to get it to work properly.

It never seems to down load my pocket queries, it contacts geocaching.com end then sort of sites there. I got one PQ to down load, but I've never be able to download anything else. it does look cool, and it's still on my iPad, but I have kind of given up on it (too hard basket.)


19 April 12 12:23 pm
Profile E-mail WWW
400 or more spectacular views seen
400 or more spectacular views seen
User avatar

Joined: 02 April 03 2:09 pm
Posts: 1698
Location: Wyndham Vale
GCA Found: 2
GCA Hidden: 0
Post Re: iPad/iPhone app - Geobucket
I have been able to download all of my PQ's without any hassles


19 April 12 12:31 pm
Profile E-mail ICQ
400 or more spectacular views seen
400 or more spectacular views seen
User avatar

Joined: 02 April 03 2:09 pm
Posts: 1698
Location: Wyndham Vale
GCA Found: 2
GCA Hidden: 0
Post Re: iPad/iPhone app - Geobucket
LouiseAnn wrote:
I have this app on my iPad, but I don't think I've ever really been able to get it to work properly.

It never seems to down load my pocket queries, it contacts geocaching.com end then sort of sites there. I got one PQ to down load, but I've never be able to download anything else. it does look cool, and it's still on my iPad, but I have kind of given up on it (too hard basket.)


I just had a thought. Are you clicking on the green download arrow or on the PQ name? You need to click on the green arrow beside the PQ name.


20 April 12 8:14 pm
Profile E-mail ICQ
2500 or more caches found
2500 or more caches found
User avatar

Joined: 29 August 10 1:36 pm
Posts: 328
Location: Hampton, Victoria, Australia
GCA Found: 175
GCA Hidden: 10
100 GCA Finds
Post Re: iPad/iPhone app - Geobucket
I downloaded this for my phone when it first came out and I didn't own an iPad. I did not like it for the phone compared to the official app as it was a bit messy. However I bought the new iPad on the first day of it's release and I have been taking it around to all the caches I have done. This post made me go back to GeoBucket and I must say, for the iPad which I do not use for a GPS but rather a planner/note taker, Geobucket is fantastic. I will be sure to use it out in the field as before, I had to use the site which was a bit dodgy on the iPad.


21 April 12 11:33 am
Profile E-mail
750 or more caches found
750 or more caches found
User avatar

Joined: 28 February 09 9:21 pm
Posts: 142
Location: Adelaide
GCA Found: 163
GCA Hidden: 7
100 GCA Finds
Post Re: iPad/iPhone app - Geobucket
I have been a user of Geosphere for the iPhone for a while now, and I load it from GSAK with a pocket query that includes all my final waypoints, GCA caches and Munzees in one load. I hardly ever use any other app. The disappointing thing about Geosphere is that it has not been updated for a long time and does not include support for the new API's - and it does not support the iPad natively.

I have downloaded GeoBucket and I will check it out on both the iPad and iPhone.


21 April 12 5:26 pm
Profile E-mail WWW
4500 or more caches found
4500 or more caches found
User avatar

Joined: 08 August 09 12:04 pm
Posts: 727
Location: Melbourne, Australia
GCA Found: 219
GCA Hidden: 3
100 GCA Finds
Post Re: iPad/iPhone app - Geobucket
embi wrote:
LouiseAnn wrote:
I have this app on my iPad, but I don't think I've ever really been able to get it to work properly.

It never seems to down load my pocket queries, it contacts geocaching.com end then sort of sites there. I got one PQ to down load, but I've never be able to download anything else. it does look cool, and it's still on my iPad, but I have kind of given up on it (too hard basket.)


I just had a thought. Are you clicking on the green download arrow or on the PQ name? You need to click on the green arrow beside the PQ name.


Hmm, I am not sure, I will have to try it again though. It's probable user error :oops:


23 April 12 11:27 am
Profile E-mail WWW
4000 or more? I'm officially obsessed.
4000 or more? I'm officially obsessed.

Joined: 31 May 06 9:53 am
Posts: 12
Location: Canberra
GCA Found: 26
GCA Hidden: 0
Post Re: iPad/iPhone app - Geobucket
It's been a while since anybody commented on this app, are there any updates to comments, does anybody use it?


02 June 12 2:07 pm
Profile
400 or more spectacular views seen
400 or more spectacular views seen
User avatar

Joined: 02 April 03 2:09 pm
Posts: 1698
Location: Wyndham Vale
GCA Found: 2
GCA Hidden: 0
Post Re: iPad/iPhone app - Geobucket
We use it every time we go out..... its great.


02 June 12 2:38 pm
Profile E-mail ICQ
100 or more tracks walked
100 or more tracks walked
User avatar

Joined: 23 January 11 10:08 am
Posts: 42
Location: East Ryde
GCA Found: 7
GCA Hidden: 0
Post Re: iPad/iPhone app - Geobucket
hgl wrote:
I have been a user of Geosphere for the iPhone for a while now, and I load it from GSAK with a pocket query that includes all my final waypoints, GCA caches and Munzees in one load. I hardly ever use any other app. The disappointing thing about Geosphere is that it has not been updated for a long time and does not include support for the new API's - and it does not support the iPad natively.

I have downloaded GeoBucket and I will check it out on both the iPad and iPhone.


According to Geosphere forum a new version is coming soon, probably in next couple of months. It will have lots of new features and apperently it will support iPad in hi res.


19 July 12 6:57 pm
Profile E-mail
750 or more caches found
750 or more caches found
User avatar

Joined: 28 February 09 9:21 pm
Posts: 142
Location: Adelaide
GCA Found: 163
GCA Hidden: 7
100 GCA Finds
Post Re: iPad/iPhone app - Geobucket
cap flint wrote:
hgl wrote:
I have been a user of Geosphere for the iPhone for a while now, and I load it from GSAK with a pocket query that includes all my final waypoints, GCA caches and Munzees in one load. I hardly ever use any other app. The disappointing thing about Geosphere is that it has not been updated for a long time and does not include support for the new API's - and it does not support the iPad natively.

I have downloaded GeoBucket and I will check it out on both the iPad and iPhone.


According to Geosphere forum a new version is coming soon, probably in next couple of months. It will have lots of new features and apperently it will support iPad in hi res.


That will be awesome, I have not found Geobucket to be very useful, geosphere is still my favourite.


21 July 12 10:45 pm
Profile E-mail WWW
5000 or more caches found
5000 or more caches found

Joined: 10 April 10 8:56 am
Posts: 32
Location: Adelaide
GCA Found: 1
GCA Hidden: 0
Post Re: iPad/iPhone app - Geobucket
I adore Geosphere as it never gets stuck like the gc.com app so often does. I have all of SA loaded and keep it updated with Gc.com PQs that I copied from the pages here on GCA. The only part I don't like about the app is uploading offline logs (like when I find caches on the Wandering Heroes trail) -- Geosphere finds upload as field notes so there is still another step in gc.com to submit my logs. Despite the extra uploa step it is still a very necessary app on my iphone. I am excited to hear that an update is on theway!


25 July 12 2:13 pm
Profile E-mail
750 or more caches found
750 or more caches found
User avatar

Joined: 28 February 09 9:21 pm
Posts: 142
Location: Adelaide
GCA Found: 163
GCA Hidden: 7
100 GCA Finds
Post Re: iPad/iPhone app - Geobucket
semik wrote:
I adore Geosphere as it never gets stuck like the gc.com app so often does. I have all of SA loaded and keep it updated with Gc.com PQs that I copied from the pages here on GCA. The only part I don't like about the app is uploading offline logs (like when I find caches on the Wandering Heroes trail) -- Geosphere finds upload as field notes so there is still another step in gc.com to submit my logs. Despite the extra uploa step it is still a very necessary app on my iphone. I am excited to hear that an update is on theway!


I actually like that feature :) This is because I do not like typing a full log on my phone while out and about - I make a quick note about anything I want to remember, any TB's that I dropped or picked up, and then save the field note. I can then sit down at home and update the field notes to write proper logs, visit TB's etc.


26 July 12 1:11 am
Profile E-mail WWW
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 25 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Forum theme by Vjacheslav Trushkin for Free Forum/DivisionCore.