iPad/iPhone app - Geobucket

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
embi
400 or more spectacular views seen

iPad/iPhone app - Geobucket

Post by embi » 18 April 12 9:19 pm

We are slowly but surely starting to get back into caching in fact we just hit the 400 caches this week. That's got to be a record. \:D/

Anyway I started using GSAK again and thought there must be a way of using an iPad with pocket queries by now. Not for finding the cache but to do things like filtering the PQ's and logging etc. We use the magellan for the actual hunt. Don't shoot me down if this app has been mentioned before but I couldn't find it in a search.

I stumbled on an app called Geobucket. It's a free app that can do pretty much anything you need to do on the road.
It uses geocaching live to retrieve your PQ's and you can do all sorts of amazing things with it including filtering caches, logging finds etc etc. I also put a copy on the iPhone and I can click on a cache and it will switch to tomtom and navigate to it via turn by turn. Something I would have hoped the GC.com app could do.

Anyway just wanted to alert anyone who has an iPad or iPhone who could get some use out of this. I have no affiliations. Just think its a great tool to use. Anyone else using it?

rhinogeo
2700 or more caches found
2700 or more caches found
Twitter: rhinogeo

Re: iPad/iPhone app - Geobucket

Post by rhinogeo » 18 April 12 9:43 pm

Haven't tried it Embi ... I'll have a look

I use GeoSphere on the iPhone and iPad and am very happy with it 8)

I'm using iCaching on the MacBook and am gradually getting used to it after being a long term GSAK user

embi

Post by embi » 18 April 12 9:53 pm

Let me know what you think Rhino.

LouiseAnn
4500 or more caches found

Post by LouiseAnn » 19 April 12 12:23 pm

I have this app on my iPad, but I don't think I've ever really been able to get it to work properly.

It never seems to down load my pocket queries, it contacts geocaching.com end then sort of sites there. I got one PQ to down load, but I've never be able to download anything else. it does look cool, and it's still on my iPad, but I have kind of given up on it (too hard basket.)

embi

Post by embi » 19 April 12 12:31 pm

I have been able to download all of my PQ's without any hassles

embi

Post by embi » 20 April 12 8:14 pm

LouiseAnn wrote:I have this app on my iPad, but I don't think I've ever really been able to get it to work properly.

It never seems to down load my pocket queries, it contacts geocaching.com end then sort of sites there. I got one PQ to down load, but I've never be able to download anything else. it does look cool, and it's still on my iPad, but I have kind of given up on it (too hard basket.)
I just had a thought. Are you clicking on the green download arrow or on the PQ name? You need to click on the green arrow beside the PQ name.

lemmykc
2500 or more caches found
2500 or more caches found

Post by lemmykc » 21 April 12 11:33 am

I downloaded this for my phone when it first came out and I didn't own an iPad. I did not like it for the phone compared to the official app as it was a bit messy. However I bought the new iPad on the first day of it's release and I have been taking it around to all the caches I have done. This post made me go back to GeoBucket and I must say, for the iPad which I do not use for a GPS but rather a planner/note taker, Geobucket is fantastic. I will be sure to use it out in the field as before, I had to use the site which was a bit dodgy on the iPad.

hgl
750 or more caches found
750 or more caches found
Twitter: craigjw

Post by hgl » 21 April 12 5:26 pm

I have been a user of Geosphere for the iPhone for a while now, and I load it from GSAK with a pocket query that includes all my final waypoints, GCA caches and Munzees in one load. I hardly ever use any other app. The disappointing thing about Geosphere is that it has not been updated for a long time and does not include support for the new API's - and it does not support the iPad natively.

I have downloaded GeoBucket and I will check it out on both the iPad and iPhone.

LouiseAnn

Post by LouiseAnn » 23 April 12 11:27 am

embi wrote:
LouiseAnn wrote:I have this app on my iPad, but I don't think I've ever really been able to get it to work properly.

I just had a thought. Are you clicking on the green download arrow or on the PQ name? You need to click on the green arrow beside the PQ name.
Hmm, I am not sure, I will have to try it again though. It's probable user error :oops:

dingbat12
4000 or more? I'm officially obsessed.
4000 or more? I'm officially obsessed.

Post by dingbat12 » 02 June 12 2:07 pm

It's been a while since anybody commented on this app, are there any updates to comments, does anybody use it?

embi

Post by embi » 02 June 12 2:38 pm

We use it every time we go out..... its great.

cap flint
100 or more tracks walked
100 or more tracks walked

Post by cap flint » 19 July 12 6:57 pm

hgl wrote:I have been a user of Geosphere for the iPhone for a while now, and I load it from GSAK with a pocket query that includes all my final waypoints, GCA caches and Munzees in one load. I hardly ever use any other app. The disappointing thing about Geosphere is that it has not been updated for a long time and does not include support for the new API's - and it does not support the iPad natively.

I have downloaded GeoBucket and I will check it out on both the iPad and iPhone.
According to Geosphere forum a new version is coming soon, probably in next couple of months. It will have lots of new features and apperently it will support iPad in hi res.

hgl
750 or more caches found
750 or more caches found

Post by hgl » 21 July 12 10:45 pm

cap flint wrote:
hgl wrote:I have been a user of Geosphere for the iPhone for a while now, and I load it from GSAK with a pocket query that includes all my final waypoints, GCA caches and Munzees in one load. I hardly ever use any other app. The disappointing thing about Geosphere is that it has not been updated for a long time and does not include support for the new API's - and it does not support the iPad natively.

According to Geosphere forum a new version is coming soon, probably in next couple of months. It will have lots of new features and apperently it will support iPad in hi res.
That will be awesome, I have not found Geobucket to be very useful, geosphere is still my favourite.

semik
5000 or more caches found
5000 or more caches found

Post by semik » 25 July 12 2:13 pm

I adore Geosphere as it never gets stuck like the gc.com app so often does. I have all of SA loaded and keep it updated with Gc.com PQs that I copied from the pages here on GCA. The only part I don't like about the app is uploading offline logs (like when I find caches on the Wandering Heroes trail) -- Geosphere finds upload as field notes so there is still another step in gc.com to submit my logs. Despite the extra uploa step it is still a very necessary app on my iphone. I am excited to hear that an update is on theway!

hgl
750 or more caches found
750 or more caches found

Post by hgl » 26 July 12 1:11 am

semik wrote:I adore Geosphere as it never gets stuck like the gc.com app so often does. I have all of SA loaded and keep it updated with Gc.com PQs that I copied from the pages here on GCA. The only part I don't like about the app is uploading offline logs (like when I find caches on the Wandering Heroes trail) -- Geosphere finds upload as field notes so there is still another step in gc.com to submit my logs. Despite the extra uploa step it is still a very necessary app on my iphone. I am excited to hear that an update is on theway!
I actually like that feature :) This is because I do not like typing a full log on my phone while out and about - I make a quick note about anything I want to remember, any TB's that I dropped or picked up, and then save the field note. I can then sit down at home and update the field notes to write proper logs, visit TB's etc.