costs to use nearmap now?

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
Op Ivy
1 or more caches found
1 or more caches found

costs to use nearmap now?

Post by Op Ivy » 11 April 12 7:31 pm

I just went to use nearmap today for the first time in a few months and found that you can't get in without paying a fee. Am I at the right site? http://www.nearmap.com? If I'm at the right site does anyone know when this change happened? Myself and hundreds of other students are supposed to use it for an upcoming assignment... not sure the teacher is aware that we would all have to pay a fee to use it.

FarmerFrentzen
5000 or more caches found

Re: costs to use nearmap now?

Post by FarmerFrentzen » 11 April 12 8:00 pm

Op Ivy wrote:I just went to use nearmap today for the first time in a few months and found that you can't get in without paying a fee. Am I at the right site? http://www.nearmap.com? If I'm at the right site does anyone know when this change happened? Myself and hundreds of other students are supposed to use it for an upcoming assignment... not sure the teacher is aware that we would all have to pay a fee to use it.
Try this link and elect for personal use only.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 11 April 12 8:01 pm

Try this link.
https://www.nearmap.com/welcome-new

Free for personal use but you need a licence, so you'll need to register.

rhinogeo
2700 or more caches found
2700 or more caches found
Twitter: rhinogeo

Post by rhinogeo » 11 April 12 8:03 pm

Nearmap was regularly used by the Government body that I work for ... until the middle of last year when the directive NOT TO USE ANYMORE was received :shock:

I am not surprised that they are charging ... They are trying to stay in business :|

I suggest you tell your teacher that not many major organizations are using Nearmap any more and use other options

PM for further info :-#

Op Ivy
1 or more caches found
1 or more caches found

Post by Op Ivy » 11 April 12 8:13 pm

Thanks for the link FarmerFrentzen and caughtatwork - I think I actually had that page bookmarked before getting a new computer. Wondering why I couldn't find it this time.... :?

caughtatwork - why do I need a licence? In the past I already registered as a personal user and my login still works. Do you mean I'd need to register separately for educational purposes?

rhinogeo - will send a pm

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 11 April 12 8:28 pm

Registering gives you the licence. If you didn't have one you get one when you register. To use the site you now have to register.

FarmerFrentzen

Post by FarmerFrentzen » 11 April 12 8:30 pm

Op Ivy wrote:Thanks for the link FarmerFrentzen and caughtatwork - I think I actually had that page bookmarked before getting a new computer. Wondering why I couldn't find it this time.... :?

caughtatwork - why do I need a licence? In the past I already registered as a personal user and my login still works. Do you mean I'd need to register separately for educational purposes?

rhinogeo - will send a pm
I've been using it without a licence.

Toriaz
200 or more found
200 or more found

Post by Toriaz » 11 April 12 8:43 pm

I wish we could still use it for work, it gives the most useful data in most areas. But management isn't willing to pay for the access & have blocked our access.

None of the other similar sites provide the archived record that nearmaps has, and that is the useful bit for our purposes.

Richary
8000 or more caches found
8000 or more caches found

Post by Richary » 12 April 12 1:02 am

None of the other similar sites provide the archived record that nearmaps has, and that is the useful bit for our purposes.
I am registered as a personal user and do find it occasinally useful for work to look at previous shots. Oh look, there is a new building in the way of a link that is playing up. It's useful, but I don''t know if it's useful enough to pay for as a commercial user, and the chances of getting the boss to pay for it are stuff alll. The charges as a commercial user are too high..

Being able to go back on the timeline and see what has happened is really great (I can see the cat in the backyard 2 iterations ago).

Dik:
500 or more caches logged
500 or more caches logged

Post by Dik: » 12 April 12 2:35 pm

That all came as a bit of a shock to me, so I have been doing some searching on their web site.

There are, and as far as I know, always were, 3 types of licence. Personal, commercial & government.
Government always paid.
Commercial & personal were free.

It would appear that now new Commercial licence sign ups have to pay.
But my existing commercial free licence is still current.

I'm sure they will contact me if that changes.