Full Logs

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
Yurt
4500 or more caches found

Re: Full Logs

Post by Yurt » 26 March 12 10:21 pm

Facitman wrote:
Yurt wrote:Initials will do it.
Hmmm so what is the convention for initialising a caching name??? I get how I can shorten my real name but have always wondered about my caching name?
Is it F. or F.M. (even though my "name" is one word?)

Can you help me Y? #-o

BTW, I try to stay inside a square on a nano log but have always squeezed in as many of the letters in my caching name as possible... I think some of my finds are by Facitman
:D :D
Well if people had thought of nano logs before they came up with their caching name they wouldn't have chosen names like
PsilonikePsilonette
(cachers in Townsville). :mrgreen:

It was a lucky accident in our case, fits anywhere pretty much. Very handy.

Laighside Legends
10000 or more caches found

Post by Laighside Legends » 26 March 12 10:50 pm

"26/3/12 Laighside Legends" rarely fits in one box but i figure if you don't like changing log books than you should hide a cache that can hold a decent sized one...

juc_cacher

Post by juc_cacher » 26 March 12 11:11 pm

Trigg-A-Nomics wrote:
quiet1_au wrote:
juc_cacher wrote:<rant>
Why do people believe that their log is so important it should have a whole page to itself, even on "full sized" notebooks ? Also, why do people never use the reverse side of pages ?
</rant>

Ah...that's better.... =D> =D>
=D> And not write only initials in nanos...
Off-Topic:
We've already had this argument. :)
I like people to write little stories in my logbooks. I'd prefer it if people used a page for each log. That way, when I get the old logbook and go back through it I can have a good read about people's experiences finding the cache. To answer juc_cacher's question: that's why I use a whole page in other people's logbooks.

I also like to know who has logged my cache for double checking later, so I write my full cacher name in nano logs.
I have no problem with people taking up the whole page with an actual written log with a story, it's the great big name, date and and "TFTC" in the middle of the sheet and nothing else that irks me.

That said, there are many worse things in life to worry about than having to swap out logs frequently. :)

Hoojar
5000 or more caches found
5000 or more caches found

Post by Hoojar » 27 March 12 9:58 am

Facitman wrote:Hmmm so what is the convention for initialising a caching name???
We regularly sign micro caches as HCD. Hoojar, Chip & Ding (our geodog).

covert
150 or more caches found
150 or more caches found

Post by covert » 27 March 12 4:05 pm

Yurt wrote: Well if people had thought of nano logs before they came up with their caching name they wouldn't have chosen names like
PsilonikePsilonette
(cachers in Townsville). :mrgreen:
"Covert Hypnosis" was the longer cache name in the circle of cachers I spent a lot of time caching with, Followed closely by "Black Legend" and "Kelly Haunts".

Since then I have abbreviated it to "C@H". In Nano's I sign as CH. I now enjoy ribbing the other guys for the long names.

FelixII

Post by FelixII » 29 March 12 11:53 am

Found this topic very interesting.

When filling in nano logs with the itty bitty squares we just sign FX.

but reference the logs in notebooks. i hadn't thought anybody actually read them. We write quite lengthy logs on cache pages, and make every effort to not cut & paste generic logs such as TFTC. but I don't think I've ever written anything in a log book except the date and name :roll:

Maybe I'm missing something... we carry an extensive kit of replacement logs for caches of all sizes as well as snap lock bags, etc and do maintenance on any cache that we can to assist the CO's particularly in areas we know the CO is not local to the cache. :wink:

gmj3191
7500 or more caches found

Post by gmj3191 » 29 March 12 7:05 pm

covert wrote: "Covert Hypnosis" was the longer cache name in the circle of cachers I spent a lot of time caching with, Followed closely by "Black Legend" and "Kelly Haunts".

Since then I have abbreviated it to "C@H".
.... which I always interpret initially as caught@home

Laighside Legends

Post by Laighside Legends » 29 March 12 9:17 pm

gmj3191 wrote:
covert wrote: "Covert Hypnosis" was the longer cache name in the circle of cachers I spent a lot of time caching with, Followed closely by "Black Legend" and "Kelly Haunts".

Me Too! :D

LouiseAnn

Post by LouiseAnn » 01 April 12 5:58 pm

Laighside Legends wrote:
gmj3191 wrote:

We always thought it was Cath...

colleda

Post by colleda » 03 April 12 2:15 pm

Since starting this post we now carry a small supply of materials and last Sunday we found a cache in which the log has been wet for 12 months!! We cleaned out the (Tupperware) container, dried it then placed a strip of paper, for signing, in a dry plastic bag to suffice 'till the CO could carry out maintenance.
Today I had a look at the CO history and it seems he/she has gone MIA (missing in action) owning 1 cache and has a total of 1 (yes ONE) find.
It seems that the container should be replaced with something more waterproof. What is the protocol in this case. The CO has not responded to several Maintenance notes therefore can somebody else take over ownership? I would volunteer if it were closer to home. (It is only 6.3klm from here but there's a lot of water inbetween which makes it 25klm by road). I imagine there are COs much closer that could take this one over?

Richary
8000 or more caches found
8000 or more caches found

Post by Richary » 03 April 12 10:07 pm

Nobody can officially take it over unless the original hider agrees. If they are uncontactable then that is a problem. If the area/hide is worth it then feel free to repair/replace the container.

If it's nothing special just post a Needs Archived on it and one of the reviewers will eventually get rid of it and you can place something better in the area. And if you feel like it pick up the old container for disposal to avoid geotrash remaining in the bush.

rhinogeo
2700 or more caches found
2700 or more caches found
Twitter: rhinogeo

Post by rhinogeo » 10 April 12 6:10 pm

LouiseAnn wrote:
Laighside Legends wrote:
gmj3191 wrote:

We always thought it was Cath...
So it's Cover Thy Pnonis a.k.a caughtathome a.k.a c@h a.k.a covert :shock:

All these pseudonyms for one cacher gets a bit confusing :roll: - I'll stick to logging my name in small writing

What's a Pnonis anyway and why should I cover it? :P

gmj3191

Post by gmj3191 » 11 April 12 10:42 am

I think it's rude and we shouldn't discuss it here .....

Facitman
1400 or more caches found
1400 or more caches found

Post by Facitman » 11 April 12 3:47 pm

According to LinkedIN.com P. Nonis a INSTRUMANT <sic> MANERGER <sic> at LHI in Sri Lanka working in the Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing.

Is this a new part of the game where we chase people around and throw a blanket over them? Makes a Flashmob seem sensible? #-o

colleda

Post by colleda » 18 April 12 12:44 pm

Richary wrote:Nobody can officially take it over unless the original hider agrees. If they are uncontactable then that is a problem. If the area/hide is worth it then feel free to repair/replace the container.

If it's nothing special just post a Needs Archived on it and one of the reviewers will eventually get rid of it and you can place something better in the area. And if you feel like it pick up the old container for disposal to avoid geotrash remaining in the bush.
I replaced the original (Tupperware) container with one (not Tupperware) of similar size which will prove to be more watertight, along with a new log, as I think its worth keeping.

I have a feeling that a lot of the wet caches I've been finding lately are the result of lids not being replaced properly. It's a simple thing but how does one get the message accross?