c:geo offline maps

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
Laighside Legends
10000 or more caches found

c:geo offline maps

Post by Laighside Legends » 01 January 12 3:15 pm

I've just found in the c:geo settings that it supports offline maps - I just can't work out how to use it...
It has a link to http://code.google.com/p/mapsforge which only has maps for Europe and usa. But it is OSM which I thought covered Australia...
Anyone else got it to work??? :-k

rinsemesocks

Re: c:geo offline maps

Post by rinsemesocks » 11 March 12 10:20 pm

I would interested to know if anybody has gotten this work. I tried downloading and creating them on my PC, but it always crashed before compiling. Has anybody had success.

RobWinmar

Post by RobWinmar » 12 March 12 10:16 pm

I've got that option selected in c:geo and it just caches what I load on the phone for future offline use. I've not tried doing it through mapsforge.

Browngang
2800 or more caches found

Post by Browngang » 13 March 12 1:53 pm

I got this to work on the weekend while away camping. I was board waiting for something or other and thought I'd give it a go. My GPS's batteries were flat so had to do something caching :-"

From my smartphone I went onto GC and made a PQ.
Seconds later when that was ready, I went via the email to my list of downloadable PQs, on GC.
Download the new PQ.
It went somewhere onto my phone, and was then stored there.
It then shows you the zipped file.
Back to C:GEO
Go to the "Stored" file on the main menu screen.
Hit the Menu button and hit "Download GPX".
Touch that and it starts downloading to c:geo
It took about 10 or more minutes to download the 900 odd caches, but they were all then visible on the old google satellite "live map" screen.
Like before the proverbial hit the fan and google stopped their free map bizo.
From the time I started playing around with it (ignoring download time) to the time I was able to view the 950 caches within 100miles, was only a couple of minutes or so.
That is approximatley the way I did it.
It is fairly simple, there aren't many other options to take. I'm not really fluent in GPX and the in depth technology of it all, but was very surprised at how easy I got it to work. It's not mapsforge, but is straightforward.
Not sure if this answers that question exactly but it may help other c:geo users, and it allowed me to use c:geo like I used to(before I got my GPS), by searching via the google satellite view.
cheers
Chris

Laighside Legends

Post by Laighside Legends » 13 March 12 5:13 pm

This is going off topic now but...
I have been using it by creating GPX files from gsak and loading them into c:geo
As they have said may times on the website, Google charging for maps has nothing to do with the live map problem, groundspeak just did it at the same time. Looking at there facebook page it looks like live map will be back soon though...

Browngang

Post by Browngang » 13 March 12 7:04 pm

Laighside Legends wrote:This is going off topic now but...
I have been using it by creating GPX files from gsak and loading them into c:geo
As they have said may times on the website, Google charging for maps has nothing to do with the live map problem, groundspeak just did it at the same time. Looking at there facebook page it looks like live map will be back soon though...
Oh, coincidence?

rinsemesocks

Post by rinsemesocks » 19 March 12 10:54 pm

Hmm. I tried the same thing by downloading a pocket query, but no maps appear when there is no data connection. I might have to try a computer with more memory to process the maps.