Discussion about the Geocaching Australia web site
calumphing_four
1600 or more caches found
1600 or more caches found

Trig Point Query

Post by calumphing_four » 22 February 12 10:16 pm

Hi,
Couldn't find the answer by a search and wiki, so am wondering/assuming:
The trig points are sourced from Geoscience and imported in as waypoints, thus can I assume the coordinates are accurate from the geoscience database?
Then given that they are correct, if I look one up, say Point Ormond Trigand do a google map of the point and find that the satellite view shows it precisely then I could presume that other points in the area could have their lat/long read straight off google and assumed to be spot on?
Cheers 8)

caughtatwork

Re: Trig Point Query

Post by caughtatwork » 22 February 12 10:40 pm

Point Ormond is a manual listing not from Geoscience . I believe that where a TP exists the cords match on the site in Geoscience in your GPS and the Google map.

pjmpjm
6000 or more caches found
6000 or more caches found
Twitter: Booroobin

Post by pjmpjm » 23 February 12 12:39 am

calumphing_four wrote:Hi, Couldn't find the answer by a search and wiki, so am wondering/assuming: The trig points are sourced from Geoscience and imported in as waypoints
A high percentage of trigs in the greater Sydney area have now been discovered and published 'manually' -- largely by rogerw3 -- and are not sourced from Geoscience. This could well be the case in other areas of Australia as well.

It's always in order to correct the published coords if you find a TP wrongly listed.

Wishing you happy trig hunting!

Yurt
4500 or more caches found
4500 or more caches found

Post by Yurt » 27 February 12 8:58 am

I've found the originally uploaded trigpoint coords to be pretty good. Can't say I've ever wandered aimlessly trying to find one unless it was actually gone. Rogerw3's coords for the unpublished trigs are usually spectacularly accurate, I write this as someone who has trekked through some pretty wild bush in order to 're-discover' a few of them.
Others that people find and then publish are going to be pretty accurate too as they will have taken an average with their GPSr sitting on top of the trig. You can't really miss most trigs anyway, unlike nanos.