Top Caches in the world

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
lemmykc
2500 or more caches found

Top Caches in the world

Post by lemmykc » 10 February 12 10:20 pm

OK, I will admit it. I have an obsession with favourite points. When I go out caching, I go for the caches with favourite points. I would rather find the caches in Melbourne that have a lot of favourite points than a bigger amount of 'crappy' ones.

Anyway, this got me thinking about the top caches in the world according to favourite points.

The best I could find was 'Geist de Hagen' in Germany, Lego - einer ist zuviel (also in Germany), The Original Stash Tribute Plaque in USA, Ring der Nibelungen in Germany and the Groundspeak Headquarters.

Geist de Hagen has a staggering 1232 fav points
Lego - einer ist zuviel has 1003 fav points
The Original Stash Tribute Plaque has 1007
Ring der Nibelungen has 952 fav points
Groundspeak Headquarters has 840 fav points.

Can anyone find any others with that amount? I am very curious to know...

Cheers :)

Browngang
2800 or more caches found
2800 or more caches found

Re: Top Caches in the world

Post by Browngang » 11 February 12 5:34 am

Some big number of finds in amongst these lemmykc that's for sure. 5500, 6800, you would surely bump into the odd fellow cacher or two at these. Pity I didn't concentrate on German at school to be able to read some of them though #-o
This might sound like a silly question for you though lemmykc - did you know that when you do a search on GC that when you get the list back, you can click on the favourite icon and it then sorts the list by favourites? With the most favourited coming to the top of the list. Not a single cacher I've spoken to knows this, try it out, it will make your favourite searches easy.
Cheers
Chris

musta9

Post by musta9 » 11 February 12 7:30 am

A good one in australia is Unexpected by GJMMelb

lemmykc

Post by lemmykc » 11 February 12 7:32 am

Browngang wrote:Some big number of finds in amongst these lemmykc that's for sure. 5500, 6800, you would surely bump into the odd fellow cacher or two at these. Pity I didn't concentrate on German at school to be able to read some of them though #-o
This might sound like a silly question for you though lemmykc - did you know that when you do a search on GC that when you get the list back, you can click on the favourite icon and it then sorts the list by favourites? With the most favourited coming to the top of the list. Not a single cacher I've spoken to knows this, try it out, it will make your favourite searches easy.
Cheers
Chris
Of course I know that! #-o

Do you know how many caches are in Germany?! If I hadn't have done that, I would have never found the top ones!!

lemmykc

Post by lemmykc » 11 February 12 7:37 am

musta9 wrote:A good one in australia is Unexpected by GJMMelb
With 50 fav points that looks dismal compared to Germany and the USA.

In Germany, there is a total of 1934 caches that have 50 favourite points or more.

It may be the top in Australia, but it certainly aint the top of the world.

oakydog
1100 or more caches found
1100 or more caches found

Post by oakydog » 11 February 12 8:32 am

I find the better indicator is the favourite %. Some of the best cache I've found have only had a handfull of finds and suspect will only have very few finds
Geist des Hagen 57%
Unexpected          45%
 Both Not bad at all!
Oh and thx for the tip Browngang  :oops:

lemmykc

Post by lemmykc » 11 February 12 8:36 am

oakydog wrote:I find the better indicator is the favourite %. Some of the best cache I've found have only had a handfull of finds and suspect will only have very few finds
Geist des Hagen 57%
Unexpected          45%
 Both Not bad at all!
Oh and thx for the tip Browngang  :oops:
This is very true, however that is much more difficult to go by. I know that they won't be THE best caches in the world, but it is the only thing that could remotely save me any time in finding out which ones are! Plus, like brown gang said, you can filter all the top favourited ones but you can't filter the top percentages.

In this instance, the amount of favourite points is the best indicator but in other instances, I would agree with you in saying that the percentage is a better indicator.

jonnosan+2

Post by jonnosan+2 » 11 February 12 8:37 am

It would be interesting to know what has the highest number of finders and still has a 100% rating - I know of one that had 4 finders and 4 favorites.

juc_cacher

Post by juc_cacher » 11 February 12 8:55 am

Groundspeak HQ is a pretty obvious candidate for favourite points as it's a kind of Mecca for geocachers, but that's really the only reason.

I must confess to never having used any of my favourite points, but when I do, I won't be adding one for Groundspeak HQ, although it was an interesting experience.

musta9

Post by musta9 » 11 February 12 9:32 am

lemmykc wrote:
musta9 wrote:A good one in australia is Unexpected by GJMMelb
With 50 fav points that looks dismal compared to Germany and the USA.

In Germany, there is a total of 1934 caches that have 50 favourite points or more.

It may be the top in Australia, but it certainly aint the top of the world.

That is very true.

gmj3191
7500 or more caches found
7500 or more caches found

Post by gmj3191 » 11 February 12 11:36 am

lemmykc wrote:OK, I will admit it. I have an obsession with favourite points. When I go out caching, I go for the caches with favourite points. I would rather find the caches in Melbourne that have a lot of favourite points than a bigger amount of 'crappy' ones.

Anyway, this got me thinking about the top caches in the world.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/dieta ... -hunt.html
:D :D :D :D :D :D

Tuena
6500 or more caches found
6500 or more caches found

Post by Tuena » 11 February 12 11:59 am

From that link - "An Australian cache was concealed in a burned-out car that was pushed off a cliff;"

And I thought Geocachers were supposed to follow a beneficial environmental creed. :wink:

calumphing_four
1600 or more caches found
1600 or more caches found

Post by calumphing_four » 11 February 12 12:18 pm

Tuena wrote:From that link - "An Australian cache was concealed in a burned-out car that was pushed off a cliff;"

And I thought Geocachers were supposed to follow a beneficial environmental creed. :wink:
Sounds like this cache, although as it is a GCA is probably isn't
A Valiant Effort
Cheers 8)

SamCarter
1400 or more caches found
1400 or more caches found

Post by SamCarter » 11 February 12 12:31 pm

calumphing_four wrote:
Tuena wrote:From that link - "An Australian cache was concealed in a burned-out car that was pushed off a cliff;"

Sounds like this cache, although as it is a GCA is probably isn't
A Valiant Effort
Cheers 8)
Don't you just love ambiguous sentences! (I'm sure C4 and Tuena realised this, but I have to admit I read it the (likely) wrong way first!) Was the cache concealed before or after the burned out car was pushed off a cliff? Did the concealer of the cache push the car or was the car a found object that was beyond the cacher's capacity to do "Cache in, Trash out" and so acknowledged this by concealing a cache in somewhat bizarre tribute? (I'd say it's much less damaging to the environment to conceal the cache in an already existing wreck than to upset all the critters that live in natural hidey holes by ramming a cache into their homes!)

It's quite clear from the cache description that A Valiant Effort was in situ before the cache was concealed in-it/on-it/nearby/wherever-it-is.

CamBendy
Twitter: cambendy

Post by CamBendy » 11 February 12 12:53 pm

I agree that the fav points are one thing to look at, but the % is a better indicator.

This is especially true with some of the more difficult caches, as well as the newer ones. A cache published in the last 18 months is unlikely to have been found more than a few hundred times so is probably not going to get more than 50 or so fav points.

Just my 2 cents worth (which these days with inflation and rounding probably brings it up to 25c...) :)