Geosportz

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
PrincessDiala
2300 or more caches found
2300 or more caches found

Re: Geosportz

Post by PrincessDiala » 07 February 12 4:51 pm

That does sound like fun! I'd be in for some winter fun!

SamCarter
1400 or more caches found
1400 or more caches found

Post by SamCarter » 07 February 12 5:05 pm

I do recall that the wrestling event was quite fun last time ...

oldfella
10000 or more caches found

Post by oldfella » 07 February 12 5:07 pm

Would love to take part

blossom*
3000 or more caches found

Post by blossom* » 07 February 12 6:36 pm

I want to do it! \:D/

But how on earth do you find the caches that will help you win the points??? Boy, I can see me spending hours evey night plotting and planning what I should look for and what I have to avoid 8)

Would the rules and requirements be the same (well, excpet for the score of 888)?

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 07 February 12 7:44 pm

I can't say yet as I don't know. They will be Olympic disciplines but what they actually are only time will tell. I am trying to borrow a computer from this century (Mr. Babbage has offered his, but it doesn't seem to print) and when I do I'll look into the requirements.

These were the requirements from last time.
http://www.cachinggames.com/gz/requirements.php

Please come forth, make some suggestions, let's make it a community effort.

sushilord
6000 or more caches found
6000 or more caches found

Post by sushilord » 07 February 12 8:30 pm

Bring on the games =D> , last time the games made for some good bragging rights and intersting stories \:D/ , for the winners, and for those who competed in the individual sports. Plus it got a lot of teams working together in a great community spirit.

I' d say that the strategising has started in the Wibble and Zytheran households already.[-X ](*,) You don't know the rules yet guys. [-(

Laighside Legends

Post by Laighside Legends » 07 February 12 8:49 pm

Sounds like fun... :D Count me in!
Seems like those who have a lot of unfound caches have an advantage...

Please not in July though!!! (I wont be in Adelaide :( ) Any other month is fine...

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 07 February 12 9:06 pm

The London Olympics start 27 July 2012. Last time we ran 30 sports over two months. Maybe July and August?

blossom*

Post by blossom* » 07 February 12 9:30 pm

I rather like the 27th July - 26th September as the 2 months as it will incorporate school holidays which can make it easier for lots of teams to get out and about a bit more.

Oh....no. That makes it just OUTSIDE the school holidays :roll: So yes, July and August is good as THEN it includes school holidays

tronador
6500 or more caches found
6500 or more caches found

Post by tronador » 07 February 12 9:43 pm

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx ... b702c8acb5

The things you do in the name of Geosportz, the cache was my requirement for Aquatics....... in the middle of winter, in a 3m swell, dangerous surf conditions and closed beaches. BUT we had the time of our lives.

Laighside Legends

Post by Laighside Legends » 07 February 12 10:28 pm

blossom* wrote:I rather like the 27th July - 26th September...
I like that as well! :D

Richary
8000 or more caches found
8000 or more caches found

Post by Richary » 07 February 12 10:32 pm

It sounds like fun again, though if the requirements for the various sports end up the same as last time I will have to start avoiding certain caches between now and then so I can claim them for the game!

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 08 February 12 8:59 am

They will likely be similar as brain ... stops ... pause ... thinking, but they're unlikely to be identical. You may just need to suck it up at the time the game goes live if you've "saved" a cache that doesn't fit the sports themes I choose. Of course, bribery and stuff is always welcomed.

As far as prizes go. I'm not sure what to do. We're not going for an "everyone wins a prize game". Unlike the cache races where the competitor has almost no involvement (i.e. others move your game piece), the GeoSportZ would be very much your involvement and doing, so to keep the competition component fair, there will be only a set number of prizes awarded. What they will be, I don't know. Any ideas?

I think we're going to include GC and GCA caches as eligible as there aren't enough GCA caches around for everyone. There might be some additional points for GA or TP caches, but I don't know yet.

Bewilderbeest
2000 or more caches found
2000 or more caches found

Post by Bewilderbeest » 08 February 12 10:49 am

Has it been 4 years already? I must dust of my planning spreadsheet in anticipation... 8-[

I like running it over July/August - calendar months are a bit easier I think.

I also like the idea of giving extra weight to GCA listed finds (GA/TP), perhaps these could have a points premium over GC finds e.g. double the difficulty or something like that

Prizes are always nice, but I'd go in it with or without prizes. The challenge of trying to meet all the requirements, hearing stories about what people get up to to try and meet particular requirements, and just the competitive spirit is what makes it fun. \:D/ Prizes are a bonus, so for me something token would be enough.

Cheers,
Pete

Team Wibble
2100 or more geocaches found
2100 or more geocaches found

Post by Team Wibble » 08 February 12 11:01 am

I agree that calendar months would be easier to keep track of when determining the duration of the competition.

I'm not so sure about different weighting for GC/GCA caches, only because that may disadvantage cachers in areas where there a fewer GCA caches and give an unfair advantage to those in areas flush with GCAs. But then, that might be a personal bias because I'm one of those who lives in an area with not many GCAs :oops:

As for prizes, I agree no prizes are necessary but I'll email c@w regarding an idea or two that I have.