Report GCA Site issues here [closed]

Discussion about the Geocaching Australia web site
Big Matt and Shell
6500 or more caches found
Twitter: BigMattandShell

Re: Report GCA Site issues here

Post by Big Matt and Shell » 03 February 12 10:20 pm

So is it fair to assume if I upload a gpx file with those caches with the archive log will they archive and then in a day or so the hidden ranges will update?

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 03 February 12 10:22 pm

Yep. If you've got them and the status in the GPX file is archived, it will do it. Then tomorrow the ranges should be correct.

Bewilderbeest
2000 or more caches found

Post by Bewilderbeest » 04 February 12 6:47 am

I was just having a look at my "Beaten Me" list. There is a mystery cache in there from March 2011 called Hot or Cold? http://geocaching.com.au/cache/gc2h4f2. It was archived on October so shouldnt be on the list.

Big Matt and Shell
Twitter: BigMattandShell

Post by Big Matt and Shell » 04 February 12 7:32 am

Bewilderbeest wrote:I was just having a look at my "Beaten Me" list. There is a mystery cache in there from March 2011 called Hot or Cold? http://geocaching.com.au/cache/gc2h4f2. It was archived on October so shouldnt be on the list.
It was still available on the GCA page, not any more though...

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 04 February 12 12:58 pm

This has all come about because of a requested change quite a while ago.

When the system archives the cache (automatically) we only used to unarchive if the daily feed got a cache listing with an active status.

Then people "complained" that their manual imports were not setting the cache status correctly. i.e. Import and archived cache, archive it at GCA. i.e. Import a live cache, unarchive it at GCA.

So I made a change to do what the community wanted / desired.

The unwanted side effect is is that someone imports a genuinely archived cache, BUT their GPX file has the cache as live, the importer will unarchive it.

It will get archived 10 days later when the feed gets no live cache information.

So, we're stuck between the desires of the community. This is probably the first mass-effect I've seen though, so it does seem to work pretty well.

Facitman
1400 or more caches found

Post by Facitman » 04 February 12 7:04 pm

Can you add a checkbox to the import page so you can set the import to "update cache status" and have the default set to no? Most people are importing to add logs rather than changing the status. For those occasions that a status change is the desired effect I would assume the user be astute enough to check the checkbox!

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 04 February 12 7:35 pm

It's an idea.

The problem really doesn't manifest itself often. This is the first large list I've come across.

But, I'll add it to the list and if I forget by the time I get a new computer, please remind me.

Dicksontwo
200 or more found
200 or more found

Post by Dicksontwo » 04 February 12 9:30 pm

We 'temporarily disabled' Ranelagh View while we considered it's future after it was muggled. It was 'archived' after 90 days with a message that "When the cache is ready to be activated again the owner can place a 'published' log and it will go live". The cache has been replaced and a 'Published log placed, we think :? , but it is still archived. What have not done correctly?

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Twitter: CraigRat
Facebook: http://facebook.com/CraigRat

Post by CraigRat » 04 February 12 9:33 pm

Wrong advice, it needs an 'Unarchived' log posted, which I've done for you

Dicksontwo
200 or more found
200 or more found

Post by Dicksontwo » 04 February 12 9:45 pm

Thank you, CraigRat, it's obvious when the answer is seen! :oops: Didn't think to query the email, assumed it was automatically generated.

Facitman

Post by Facitman » 04 February 12 10:32 pm

caughtatwork wrote:....the time I get a new computer, please remind me.
Hailstones?

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 04 February 12 11:47 pm

Facitman wrote:
Hailstones?
Major theft at the house while we were in Hawaii.

All computers, desktop and laptops (except the circa 2000 one we took so we didn't break a "good one"). All cameras (except the one we took). PS3 and games. They left the PS2. My GPS. All the external HDD's (except one I had in a drawer and 1 we took). All the jewellrey. All the cash in the house. All the iPODs. DVD players and recorders, etc.

We're running on a P4 (1.6Ghz with 1.2GB RAM) and we're all sharing. Downright fricken' painful thing. God knows how we used to put up with it.

The assessor has been and hopefully it will be only a couple (maybe 4) weeks to get the stuff replaced. The big girl is desperate for facebook and other things (sype, IM, etc), so we asked the BIL if he had a spare. It might work for her to do her things. She might give it back in a week when it proves too slow. I'm yet to ask Uncle Jiffy if he has a spare.

The annoying thing is we lost both of hers. One 3 years old and one bought in the boxing day sale, so it was only barely out of the box. She was mightily pissed.

So updates to the site (unless I want to go directly into the production code and I won't do that unless something has fallen over) from me are off the agenda for a while.

caughtatwork is very sad :-(

Facitman

Post by Facitman » 04 February 12 11:58 pm

caughtatwork wrote:
Facitman wrote:
Hailstones?
:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

:stabby :stabby

Bewilderbeest

Post by Bewilderbeest » 05 February 12 6:29 am

caughtatwork wrote:
Facitman wrote:
Hailstones?

All computers, desktop and laptops (except the circa 2000 one we took so we didn't break a "good one"). All cameras (except the one we took). PS3 and games. They left the PS2. My GPS. All the external HDD's (except one I had in a drawer and 1 we took). All the jewellrey. All the cash in the house. All the iPODs. DVD players and recorders, etc.

We're running on a P4 (1.6Ghz with 1.2GB RAM) and we're all sharing. Downright fricken' painful thing. God knows how we used to put up with it.

The assessor has been and hopefully it will be only a couple (maybe 4) weeks to get the stuff replaced. The big girl is desperate for facebook and other things (sype, IM, etc), so we asked the BIL if he had a spare. It might work for her to do her things. She might give it back in a week when it proves too slow. I'm yet to ask Uncle Jiffy if he has a spare.

The annoying thing is we lost both of hers. One 3 years old and one bought in the boxing day sale, so it was only barely out of the box. She was mightily pissed.

So updates to the site (unless I want to go directly into the production code and I won't do that unless something has fallen over) from me are off the agenda for a while.

Bummer, that really sucks. Good luck with the insurers

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Twitter: CraigRat
Facebook: http://facebook.com/CraigRat

Post by CraigRat » 05 February 12 6:56 am

Bewilderbeest wrote:So updates to the site (unless I want to go directly into the production code and I won't do that unless something has fallen over) from me are off the agenda for a while.
It will be more fun in a fortnight when I won't be online for two weeks as I'll be in NZ and Sydney.

So I suppose your devs are asking you all: "Please don't break anything too much over the next month" :lol: