Cachers who refuses to sign the log book

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.

Should I delete the offending log

Poll ended at 08 February 12 10:14 am

Yes
89%
No
11%

Total votes: 74

noikmeister
5000 or more caches found

Cachers who refuses to sign the log book

Post by noikmeister » 01 February 12 10:14 am

I recently got a log on one of my caches (GC.com) and similarly on a few other in the immediate area owned by other cachers where the finder logged "took nothing, left nothing did not sign the log". I sent what I thought was a polite email querying it (quoted below for your to judge) and got a very indignant reply basically telling me to piss off. I am waiting for the immediate emoltional effect to wear off before I do anything, so I thought I'd set up this poll/discussion instead. I'm well aware that the Rules of Geocaching state that you "Write about your find in the logbook" so I am well within my rights to delete the offending entry.

Hi,

I note in your log for "Something's Out There" that you say you did
not sign the log. How can I ever confirm that you found the cache if
you didn't sign the log? The rules of geocaching state that you should
write in the logbook and while this isn't always adhered to this is
usually explained by the lack of a pen, which I am certain I included
in the cache container. Do you have any other proof that you visited
the site?

Regards,
Jeremy.

Happy Chappies
2000 or more caches found

Re: Cachers who refuses to sign the log book

Post by Happy Chappies » 01 February 12 10:23 am

Delete I'd say - No proof the cacher has ever been there. Even if he was and has got a policy of not signing the log, well, he's going to run into trouble sooner or later!

And if he's going to be rude about it, then I'd be even more inclined to delete it. If he'd explained why then maybe I'd let it slide, but a rude response would equal a 'delete log' from me...

Are they new cachers?

rbirtles
900 answers to the unknown mysteries of life
900 answers to the unknown mysteries of life

Post by rbirtles » 01 February 12 10:26 am

Well, in my opinion they have failed on 2 aspects - not signing the log in the first place as required by the rules, and second, the way they have replied back to you. I would see no problem in deleting their log. You could choose in emailing them first to say that you are going to delete their log on such a time in case they want to be more constructive in a follow up email to you. Your choice though.

Cheers Rob.

noikmeister

Post by noikmeister » 01 February 12 10:28 am

Happy Chappies wrote:
Are they new cachers?
Member since 2009, but only 12 finds. My only thought is that they don't realise that other people place the caches.

Bronnie_1990
1000 or more caches found
Twitter: bronnie1990

Post by Bronnie_1990 » 01 February 12 10:44 am

I've noticed a few logs like that recently..
Really, if you are going to refuse to sign the log book, secretly, why would you post it online?
I've accidentally forgotten to sign the log like once, but i mentioned that i forgot to, took a photo of the log as proof!
(And found a pen at home, and went back out there to sign it?)

I'd say delete it. They sound rude, and clearly dont read rules.

danozz
1550 or more caches found
1550 or more caches found

Post by danozz » 01 February 12 11:04 am

I think you should go easy on him, he's found the cache and isn't trying to claim finds in places that would be impossible to visit. He's done the main part of geocaching which is finding the container, I don't think it's worth worrying about people writing in the logbook, logging the find online, et cetera.

Maybe it's better when people with nothing good to say, refrain from writing in your logbook? I know a few Cachers would say the same thing of me :)

noikmeister

Post by noikmeister » 01 February 12 11:28 am

But why crow about the fact that you didn't sign the logbook in your online log? If you don't want to sign it then don't sign it and keep it to yourself.

squalid
2700 or more caches found
2700 or more caches found

Post by squalid » 01 February 12 11:40 am

If they want to geocache, they should sign the log. :roll: I vote to delete.

noikmeister

Post by noikmeister » 01 February 12 11:45 am

danozz wrote:I think you should go easy on him, he's found the cache and isn't trying to claim finds in places that would be impossible to visit. He's done the main part of geocaching which is finding the container, I don't think it's worth worrying about people writing in the logbook, logging the find online, et cetera.

Maybe it's better when people with nothing good to say, refrain from writing in your logbook? I know a few Cachers would say the same thing of me :)
If his response was along the lines of "sorry, but I didn't realise signing the log was a requirement, I'll endeavour to do so in the future" then I would totally go easy on them.

jusojara
3000 or more caches found
3000 or more caches found

Post by jusojara » 01 February 12 12:29 pm

danozz wrote:I think you should go easy on him, he's found the cache and isn't trying to claim finds in places that would be impossible to visit. He's done the main part of geocaching which is finding the container, I don't think it's worth worrying about people writing in the logbook, logging the find online, et cetera.

Without their name in the book or a photo of the cache how do you (as a cache owner) know that they have actually found the cache?

This combined with their rudness would incline me to delete the log.

Bewilderbeest

Post by Bewilderbeest » 01 February 12 12:48 pm

I agree with most of the previous responses. The one thing you have to do is sign the physical log. Their response to you shows they didnt do this out of ignorance but have consciously chosen not to.

Delete it.

wileyclan
2150 or more geocaches found
2150 or more geocaches found

Post by wileyclan » 01 February 12 1:44 pm

So the cacher in question has completed 12 finds since 2009? I wouldn't delete the log that you sent him the email about as you have now made him aware of the requirements.

If he finds anymore of your caches and puts a similar thing into his online log I would delete those. If he doesn't post a similar story online, I would check the logbook of the cache he claimed a find on (but I am a suspicious person :-k ) and then delete or keep as appropriate.

Maybe he has learnt the rules because you did take the time to explain them to him, and wrote back to your whilst embarrased and on the defensive. Not everyone takes the time to calm down before writing emails/texts (guilty as charged your honour :oops: ) and we all know that it is hard to convey emotion via letters on a screen.

Thats my 2c worth anyway

Cheers 8)

Dvixen
750 or more caches found
750 or more caches found
Twitter: Dvixen, Geowhat

Post by Dvixen » 01 February 12 3:40 pm

If the response was a curt "It was a XXXXX container." I'd be irked, but let it stand.
But a snarky response? No obligation to let the log stand, imo.

Bronnie_1990
Twitter: bronnie1990

Post by Bronnie_1990 » 01 February 12 3:49 pm

wileyclan wrote:
If he finds anymore of your caches and puts a similar thing into his online log I would delete those. If he doesn't post a similar story online, I would check the logbook of the cache he claimed a find on (but I am a suspicious person :-k ) and then delete or keep as appropriate.
Looks like the cacher in question has logged other caches with "Took nothing, left nothing, did not sign log" (i was not stalking, at all)

I am also a slightly suspicious person..

pjmpjm
6000 or more caches found
6000 or more caches found
Twitter: Booroobin

Why Bother to Geocache?

Post by pjmpjm » 01 February 12 4:31 pm

noikmeister wrote:I recently got a log on one of my caches (GC.com) and similarly on a few other in the immediate area owned by other cachers where the finder logged "took nothing, left nothing did not sign the log".
Yep, a confused and anti-social newbie, despite the apparent length of time since he joined up. It's probably doubtful he'll become a regular, especially with that attitude. Why would you refuse to sign a cache log? On philosophical or religious grounds? :?