Android Geocaching Apps

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
Hoojar
5000 or more caches found

Re: Android Geocaching Apps

Post by Hoojar » 12 January 12 4:18 pm

gmj3191 wrote:It can get location info from WiFi, if the WiFi location is registered with the location services. If the GPS is flaky, that could be a clue.
Can you load the Munzee app? It won't run without GPS.
I have tried running c:geo with location services turned off. It will run, but some functions such as Live Map and Nearest Caches will not work, as you'd expect.
Are you saying it won't start up at all, or some functions won't work?
My Munzee App works all the time, no dramas.

Live Map works all the time when I away from WiFi, but when I select an individual cache and press 'more details' it will not load the data, it says, "Sorry, c:geo failed to download the cache details." It does this every time, without fail, unless I am connected to WiFi.

gmj3191
7500 or more caches found

Post by gmj3191 » 12 January 12 6:53 pm

Does it say "...failed to download CONNECTION_ERROR"
Does it say "There is no Cache"
or something different.

I have seen the former when the connection is flaky (like Optus in many places. I changed to Telstra to fix that one).

I have seen the second one sometimes when I have a filter set or the cache has been deactivated or similar.

If you want to try something else first as a test without buying a new app, see if GA Cacher works for GCA caches near you.

Also, make sure you have the latest update. I think there was a stutter a few versions back, which was quickly upgraded.

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Twitter: CraigRat
Facebook: http://facebook.com/CraigRat

Post by CraigRat » 12 January 12 7:05 pm

Hoojar wrote:
gmj3191 wrote:It can get location info from WiFi, if the WiFi location is registered with the location services. If the GPS is flaky, that could be a clue.
Can you load the Munzee app? It won't run without GPS.
I have tried running c:geo with location services turned off. It will run, but some functions such as Live Map and Nearest Caches will not work, as you'd expect.
Are you saying it won't start up at all, or some functions won't work?
My Munzee App works all the time, no dramas.

Live Map works all the time when I away from WiFi, but when I select an individual cache and press 'more details' it will not load the data, it says, "Sorry, c:geo failed to download the cache details." It does this every time, without fail, unless I am connected to WiFi.
What version of c:geo are you using?

(Open c:geo, press Menu and then the About c:geo menu item)

Hoojar

Post by Hoojar » 13 January 12 9:46 am

CraigRat wrote:What version of c:geo are you using?
ver. 04.01.2012
gmj3191 wrote:Does it say "...failed to download CONNECTION_ERROR"
Does it say "There is no Cache"
or something different.

I have seen the former when the connection is flaky (like Optus in many places. I changed to Telstra to fix that one).

I have seen the second one sometimes when I have a filter set or the cache has been deactivated or similar.

If you want to try something else first as a test without buying a new app, see if GA Cacher works for GCA caches near you.

Also, make sure you have the latest update. I think there was a stutter a few versions back, which was quickly upgraded.
It says "Sorry, c:geo failed to download the cache details." no more, no less.

I don't find GCA, so GA Cacher is not for me ;-)

I always update and run the latest version. I am pretty sure that the error only started with the last two versions.

gmj3191

Post by gmj3191 » 13 January 12 10:04 am

The GA Cacher suggestion was a technical test, I wasn't suggesting that you change your caching approach.
I was trying to save you the need to buy an alternative caching app, only to find that your phone has developed a problem.
You can delete it afterwards.

Alternatively you could try neongeo or the gc.com app and shell out a small number of dollars.

Actually, Columbus is a free app you could try.

Hoojar

Post by Hoojar » 13 January 12 2:56 pm

gmj3191 wrote:The GA Cacher suggestion was a technical test, I wasn't suggesting that you change your caching approach.
I was trying to save you the need to buy an alternative caching app, only to find that your phone has developed a problem.
You can delete it afterwards.

Alternatively you could try neongeo or the gc.com app and shell out a small number of dollars.

Actually, Columbus is a free app you could try.
Okay, sorry I did not follow earlier. I will try a different App to see if the problem is in the App of the phone. Much appreciated :-)

Mr Router
1500 or more caches found
1500 or more caches found

Post by Mr Router » 18 January 12 11:42 am

GDAK is free :!:

The Spindoctors

Post by The Spindoctors » 18 January 12 11:39 pm

Here's my thoughts on Neongeo - http://darrenosborne.com/2012/01/17/neo ... pp-review/

Overall, this is a great geocaching app packed full of features – and the list keeps on growing. Since I made the screen captures last month a number of new features have been added.

If you’re looking for a geocaching app for your Android device that is full of features and works lightning fast, you be mad not to part with a few dollars for this one.

Pros:
Fast connection to geocaching.com via API
Clean and clear map and compass makes navigating to cache easy
Logging geocache logs and trackables easy and reliable

Cons:
Updating of nearest caches in map view is sometimes slow
Pocket queries must be downloaded one at a time
App sometimes shuts down for no reason while in Settings page

Score: 4.5/5

Kiwi_Explorer
2250 or more geocaches found
2250 or more geocaches found

Post by Kiwi_Explorer » 05 February 12 7:27 pm

In the last few weeks I have started using Cache Sense on my Android phone. It has previously only been available on BlackBerry. I had used cGeo in the past for the odd cache find and log. Cache Sense uses the gc.com API and it has some great functionality (IMHO). The developer seems keen to take it further so I've joined a beta testing group for it. Thought those at Geocaching Australia may be interested hence this post. There's a 30 day demo version in the market now plus a paid version $5 (spare change) and worth it but see for yourself. See you all in Dunedin. Cheers, KE.

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Twitter: CraigRat
Facebook: http://facebook.com/CraigRat

Post by CraigRat » 05 February 12 7:39 pm

CacheSense is my current favourite app.

Nice clean interface, kind of works ok with GCA caches via import.

mtrax

Post by mtrax » 05 February 12 11:10 pm

CraigRat wrote:CacheSense is my current favourite app.

Nice clean interface, kind of works ok with GCA caches via import.
How many caches can you load via import?

Champs2Monkeys
1900 or more caches found
1900 or more caches found

Post by Champs2Monkeys » 25 May 12 9:22 pm

I have been using c:geo and loved it, but never did work with waymarking or GCA caches.

I contacted the developers about extending the functionality. I was basically ridiculed for wanting to do waymarking or CGA caches.

This week I have been trying Locus, and while not as polished as c:geo, it works well and supports GCA and waymarking

Laighside Legends
10000 or more caches found
10000 or more caches found

Post by Laighside Legends » 28 May 12 9:47 pm

Champs2Monkeys wrote:I have been using c:geo and loved it, but never did work with waymarking or GCA caches.

I contacted the developers about extending the functionality. I was basically ridiculed for wanting to do waymarking or CGA caches.

This week I have been trying Locus, and while not as polished as c:geo, it works well and supports GCA and waymarking
Last time I tried it did support GCA caches? That was a while ago though... I have been using GA cacher for GCA caches...

akkatracker
600 or more caches found
600 or more caches found

Post by akkatracker » 28 May 12 11:26 pm

Laighside Legends wrote:
Champs2Monkeys wrote:I have been using c:geo and loved it, but never did work with waymarking or GCA caches.

Last time I tried it did support GCA caches? That was a while ago though... I have been using GA cacher for GCA caches...
You have to manually import GCA caches which some could say is a pain

gmj3191

Post by gmj3191 » 29 May 12 10:44 am

Just use the Android app, GA Cacher for GCA caches.
http://tinyurl.com/76j69hm