"Boy Look"

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
RebornCyclist
1850 or more caches found

"Boy Look"

Post by RebornCyclist » 14 December 11 3:25 pm

Any thoughts on how I can stop my "boy looks"?
I had a look today, and I'm up to 112 DNFs and 14.15% DNF/found ration, as well as having 32 caches on my "beaten me" list.
What's really strange (and embarassing) is that many of the caches I've failed to find are found by everyone else, and usually logged as "an easy find"!
I know one thing I do is that I get fixated on the spot or spots that my cacher sense tells me should be the hide, so I often find it quickly, but if it's not there, I just keep looking in the same spots over and over. And then maybe I come back later and look there again.

crew 153
9000 or more caches found
9000 or more caches found

Re: "Boy Look"

Post by crew 153 » 14 December 11 3:58 pm

If you look there often enough it will mysteriously appear.

blossom*
3000 or more caches found
3000 or more caches found

Post by blossom* » 14 December 11 6:39 pm

Get a girl to take with you as a caching partner and she will spot the cache for you.

obviously

:D

Richary
8000 or more caches found
8000 or more caches found

Post by Richary » 14 December 11 6:58 pm

RebornCyclist wrote:What's really strange (and embarassing) is that many of the caches I've failed to find are found by everyone else, and usually logged as "an easy find"!
That's a false assumption, as it appears a lot of people don't bother logging DNFs. It also come with experience as well. I have done easy finds on what can be new and tricky hides for an area, simply because I have seen a variation on that particular idea before when I was interstate.

Group caching can be a helpful way to get a few eyes on the job, and you can learn from each other.

Taiko'sFamily

Post by Taiko'sFamily » 14 December 11 7:25 pm

well I should probably own up to a dnf on a Tassie cache that everyone finds easily.
we have tried 3 times to find Gravel Park and can't, and twice there was a group of about 8 of us looking :oops: :oops:

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 14 December 11 7:40 pm

Your DNF logs appear to have suffered a spontaneous mass existence failure.

Dippedidooda
2500 or more caches found

Post by Dippedidooda » 14 December 11 8:02 pm

I reckon you're probably just more honest (in logging a DNF when you had a look) than a lot of people. But I agree that that thing of fixating on a certain area where that's where you think it should be can occur. sometimes when you assume it's on say, a particular side of a track, then it may only be a cursory look given to the other.
It seems that you haven't had any trouble finding all your FTF's??? Maybe you need some time pressure to ensure the find! :D

Daniel-Son

Post by Daniel-Son » 14 December 11 8:06 pm

Richary wrote:
RebornCyclist wrote:What's really strange (and embarassing) is that many of the caches I've failed to find are found by everyone else, and usually logged as "an easy find"!
That's a false assumption, as it appears a lot of people don't bother logging DNFs. It also come with experience as well. I have done easy finds on what can be new and tricky hides for an area, simply because I have seen a variation on that particular idea before when I was interstate.

Group caching can be a helpful way to get a few eyes on the job, and you can learn from each other.
My first Magnet Sign Cache took me and my wife well over and hour to find, the second one took less than 10 seconds. Experience counts, especially when you are dealing with the same owner.

Dippedidooda

Post by Dippedidooda » 14 December 11 8:55 pm

One other suggestion, don't give up after 10 minutes :o :lol:

RebornCyclist

Post by RebornCyclist » 14 December 11 9:03 pm

Have you been spying on me, Dippy?
Although there's one (Between a Rock and...) that I must have clocked up nearly two and a half hours of searching on!

Swampy
4000 or more? I'm officially obsessed.
4000 or more? I'm officially obsessed.

Post by Swampy » 14 December 11 10:40 pm

Have you looked "under the rock"?
Don't want to teach your grandma to suck eggs but ....
I look for the things that are either not natural (lichen upside down, brown rock when everything else is grey, bark piled up higher than the surrounding) or by scanning the area the opposite way to what you normally read a book (unless you read Arabic or Japanese) and scan near, middle then far distance from your viewing point.

Shape, shadow, shine, silhouette, size and colour are 'why' we see things and you can train yourself to spot the difference.
Even a spray painted camo sistema container has shine, more likely than not the colour does not match the surroundings and the shape is a dead give away and it is these attributes which is probably what you see when you find a cache.
I have seen some very good camo on containers and the only reason I found them was that the camo was starting to fail.
Even matt black paint will stand out when placed in bracken as the bracken has shine. Getting the right mix of matt and shine and colour is very hard to do, but it is possible. An excellent example is one of SG3's caches.

Just try using some of these examples when looking for your next cache and see how you go....

MtnLioness
2800 or more caches found
2800 or more caches found

Post by MtnLioness » 14 December 11 10:43 pm

Girl tip - Touch everything, move everything, inspect everything.
Do not dismiss anything!

Mr Router
1500 or more caches found
1500 or more caches found

Post by Mr Router » 15 December 11 9:37 am

Girl tip - Touch everything, move everything, inspect everything.
Do not dismiss anything!

you must also return everything to it's place, after you have touched , moved and inspected everything everytime :wink:

gmj3191
7500 or more caches found
7500 or more caches found

Post by gmj3191 » 15 December 11 11:57 am

Personally, I can't see the point in making a cache sooooo hard to find, that even cachers can't find it.
To me, camo is to beat muggles, and if it's really good, a hint should be supplied for cachers.
Who wants to hide a cache that no-one can find? You can't appreciate it if you can't find it.

Hoojar
5000 or more caches found
5000 or more caches found

Post by Hoojar » 15 December 11 12:06 pm

gmj3191 wrote:Personally, I can't see the point in making a cache sooooo hard to find, that even cachers can't find it.
To me, camo is to beat muggles, and if it's really good, a hint should be supplied for cachers.
Who wants to hide a cache that no-one can find? You can't appreciate it if you can't find it.
So you would not be a fan of something like this then! http://coord.info/GC38N6K