Leap Frog registrations are now open

Discussion about the Geocaching Australia web site
fluffyfish
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!

Re: Leap Frog registrations are now open

Post by fluffyfish » 02 December 11 10:27 pm

I have been using geosphere for the iPhone quite successfully as well. Can get updated queries and click through to the cache page to leave a log.

Not as good as GA Cacher but imho the best caching app for iOS.

Renroc
600 or more caches found
600 or more caches found

Post by Renroc » 02 December 11 11:45 pm

tronador wrote:I need to find something to hold the log, kind of long and tubular. Not so easy, cause I never put out any micros. So never pay much attention to this size of container. :-k 8-[
I have bought a Bunnings Frog... For the log container I used a 70mm long bit of irrigation pipe with threads on it. 2 end caps which are also threaded and a 40mm grey rubber sink plug. Glue one end cap to the inside of the plug with superglue. Once dry screw in the tube and insert log. Then put top cap on. I also added a bit of chain through the plug handle and glued onto the base. Serves 2 purposes. one to stop the plug being lost/left behind and the other to stop the plug being pushed right into the frog. If you use my method please remember to leave enough chain to remove the tube inside the frog.

Cheesy pigs
3000 or more caches found

Post by Cheesy pigs » 03 December 11 9:04 am

caughtatwork wrote:
MtnLioness wrote:Thank you on behalf of 1 cranky =D> pants and 1 flustered frog.
You're welcome. It can be a little overwhelming. Next year will be easier.
whats the plan for next year? pigs? dragons? bicycles?

pjmpjm
6000 or more caches found
Twitter: Booroobin

Leap Frog Registrations Hit New Levels

Post by pjmpjm » 03 December 11 11:07 am

Cheesy pigs wrote:
caughtatwork wrote:
MtnLioness wrote:Thank you on behalf of 1 cranky =D> pants and 1 flustered frog.
You're welcome. It can be a little overwhelming. Next year will be easier.
whats the plan for next year? pigs? dragons? bicycles?
With 376 Leap Frog registrations by 122 members (as of late Saturday morning) this year is going to be hard to beat.

pjmpjm
Twitter: Booroobin

Unloved Leap Frogs -- Enquiring Minds Want to Know

Post by pjmpjm » 03 December 11 11:12 am

As the race proceeds into Day Three, there are still a few of the 376 published frogs that haven't been found yet.

One of them is my 'Sprog' in Eastern Creek.

Yurt's 'FrOMG!' is still sitting in Hornsby.

Why are some frogs are resisting the attention of geocachers? (Both of the above are easy to find.)

Location? Bad Vibes? Weird names?

What do you think?

(And please go and find -- and move -- these two froggies over the weekend!)
Last edited by pjmpjm on 03 December 11 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

MtnLioness
2800 or more caches found
2800 or more caches found

Post by MtnLioness » 03 December 11 11:12 am

And more to come I'll bet!

tronador
6500 or more caches found

Post by tronador » 03 December 11 12:18 pm

Renroc wrote:
tronador wrote:I need to find something to hold the log, kind of long and tubular. Not so easy, cause I never put out any micros. So never pay much attention to this size of container. :-k 8-[
I have bought a Bunnings Frog... For the log container I used a 70mm long bit of irrigation pipe with threads on it. 2 end caps which are also threaded and a 40mm grey rubber sink plug. Glue one end cap to the inside of the plug with superglue. Once dry screw in the tube and insert log. Then put top cap on. I also added a bit of chain through the plug handle and glued onto the base. Serves 2 purposes. one to stop the plug being lost/left behind and the other to stop the plug being pushed right into the frog. If you use my method please remember to leave enough chain to remove the tube inside the frog.

Thanks but it all got too hard, so I just shoved the log inside it's bag into the cavity. Quick, fast and it will not fall out. 8-[

tronador

Post by tronador » 03 December 11 12:22 pm

hgl wrote:
That being said .. a quick found log is a good one people (e.g. use your phone!)
Well I tried this for the first time, using the GA cacher app. BUT...... you can't log a moved only a found and how do you navigate with this app. No idea, the only options were google maps or navigator. Where is the compass????, Tired doing some sort of import inot cachemate which does have a compass and it told me there was no URL. All too much fuss for my liking.
Ended up just manually entering the coords into the GPS.
Give me a real GPS any day!!!!!!

Facitman
1400 or more caches found
1400 or more caches found

Post by Facitman » 03 December 11 1:53 pm

Ok, so I know we don't have a frog hidden (yet! Life got in the way of caching!)
But are you Melbourne cachers playing with me? The map below shows all the frogs..... the big blank area in the middle....yup that's exactly where we live. No frogs within 10km.....grumble grumble :stabby

MakkyBrown
800 or more hollow logs searched
800 or more hollow logs searched

Post by MakkyBrown » 03 December 11 7:00 pm

:( no frogs to go and find down here is tassie. If your planning some type of private frog event wouldn't it be just as fun to take one or two, not try and get every single frog in the state. Please, keep the frogs moving(leaping) and lets all have fun.

This happened last year with the gnomes when a small group of cachers collects all available(and keeps them the full two days) it takes the fun away from the larger group. (this includes hogging them and transfering them as a group direct to other cachers).

blossom*

Post by blossom* » 03 December 11 7:18 pm

MakkyBrown wrote::( no frogs to go and find down here is tassie. If your planning some type of private frog event wouldn't it be just as fun to take one or two, not try and get every single frog in the state. Please, keep the frogs moving(leaping) and lets all have fun.

This happened last year with the gnomes when a small group of cachers collects all available(and keeps them the full two days) it takes the fun away from the larger group. (this includes hogging them and transfering them as a group direct to other cachers).
Yes, I totally agree that the fun part of the game is to keep them moving as much as possible. I went on a frog raid in the early hours of this morning and found 9 new ones!!! but as I picked on up, I dropped one of the previous finds in it's place. That has a few advantages: 1 - I don't need to find a clever new hiding place every time 8) and 2 - anyone who comes looking before I get to log that I've found the frog will get a nice surprise when there is one there, just not what they expected!

Of course, you can't do this all the time but it's a good way to keep them circulating for everyone.

Last year, I met a quite a few new caching friends by PMing them about a gnome they had that I was keen to find and we generally chatted and sorted out something. So don't be too shy about asking the last finder what their plans are for dropping a frog.

Richary
8000 or more caches found

Re: Unloved Leap Frogs -- Enquiring Minds Want to Know

Post by Richary » 03 December 11 10:01 pm

pjmpjm wrote:As the race proceeds into Day Three, there are still a few of the 376 published frogs that haven't been found yet.

One of them is my 'Sprog' in Eastern Creek.

Yurt's 'FrOMG!' is still sitting in Hornsby.

Why are some frogs are resisting the attention of geocachers? (Both of the above are easy to find.)

Location? Bad Vibes? Weird names?

What do you think?

(And please go and find -- and move -- these two froggies over the weekend!)
Location. I found one of blossom*'s today at North Parramatta that was a FTF. As we found with the gnomes last year, apart from Zalgariath and tronador nobody who was interested lived south of the Parramatta River (and they certainly aren't southern suburbs people). I'm probably the westernmost in the main part of Sydney, apart from the Dural/Glenorie area. Anything east of Chatswood doesn't get finds either.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 03 December 11 10:08 pm

Recruitment people, recruitment. The gods have smiled on the Melbournians this year and there are a boatload of frogs and players. I've collected 21 frogs so far this year, better than last years total of 18 across the whole 2 months. They're moving left right and centre. I'm really enjoying the game so much more than last year.

The quality of frogs is stunning too. Even the eldest daughter came out today for some fun frog hunting. That's a rare thing. So get them to your Christmas events and recruit, recruit, recruit.

Richary

Post by Richary » 03 December 11 10:08 pm

MakkyBrown wrote::( no frogs to go and find down here is tassie. If your planning some type of private frog event wouldn't it be just as fun to take one or two, not try and get every single frog in the state. Please, keep the frogs moving(leaping) and lets all have fun.

It didn't seem to happen in Sydney last year. There weren't any private gnome swapping events that I was part of anyway. What was discovered fairly early on is that there were places gnomes could be left and they would get picked up fairly quickly, and there were places gnomes could be left and they would stay there for a week or more. Obviously no interested cachers in that area.

With the frogs I've been trying to move them on same day or next day, and like blossom* have been doing a bit of a shuffle where if I find one I drop it in the 2nd next location up the road so I don't have a big collection (tonight is different for a few Sydney siders as we have an event tomorrow that is going to see a lot of frogs - so I do have 5 with me).

However whatever I take from the event tomorrow will be either dropped near home tomorrow afternoon, or near work (a bit further afield) on Monday morning.

rogerw3

Post by rogerw3 » 03 December 11 10:23 pm

:cry:

If only all the motorized cachers would take into account that some of us have to use public transport and if you leave your frogs more than a couple km from a station, it will be ignored. Some of us have a 3 hours train trip to get to Sydney so the time that can be spent looking for Frogs is limited as there is a 3 hours journey to get back home.

I have only managed to find 10 (or is it 11?) in 3 days of hunting, but it is early days yet.

:(